New house elevations

Posted by willietom (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 14:42

No longer available

This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 20:57

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New house elevations

Way too complicated roof. Is there a floor plan to go with these elevations?

o

Not Available

This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:06

o

Message not available

This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:03

o

Too many different windows that scale inappropriately. Too many gables. Too many gewgaws entirely like those silly little mini rooflets over the garage doors. A mix of eave detailing that makes no sense. I'd bet that the kitchen sink is thrown onto that exterior somewhere because everthing else was.

o

Message removed

This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:18

o

Content no longer available

This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:00

o

Message no longer available

This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 20:59

o

You'd need a completely different floorplan to make this look like a farmhouse. This is NeoEcclecticism at it's most inauthentic.

For a classic farmhouse design, I'd do the garage as barn, with gambrell roof and then the center as an old fashioned longer than deep plain jane 2 story rectangle with a shed roof porch on 2-3 sides.

o

Original message no longer available

This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:01

o

The floor plan and the exterior need to be developed together. If you wanted a country feel, that should have been taken into account when the floor plans were drawn up.

Also, don't know what you consider a "country feel".

o

Content has been removed

This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:02

o

I do like your idea to make it look like a farmhouse. It's awesome idea!!! I agree with other commentators though about gables.. I would suggest get rid with some of the gables. I think it would be best. Other than that.. I love it!

o

If you are set on not touching the floor plan much at all, I'd consider your best bet being to simplify by doing a few changes: Pull the window above the front door forward and combine the "gable within gable" to be just the larger gable. Turn the dormer above the dining room into one with a shed roof instead of a gable roof. Square-out the garage by removing the bump-out on the side wall and making a gable above it instead of the hip roof, and square out the front by making a continuous wall with three separate garage doors, either keeping the gable above or switching it out for two shed dormers. Definitely remove the awning-like structures. I'd also remove the gable of the porch above the front door, as you can bring prominence to it through the columns and landscaping. Simpler shapes with better materials will give the house enough character, the overly complex details are unnecessary. Good luck!

o

This message is no longer available

This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:04

o

2nd Level

This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 20:53

o

I didn't see the revised version which included a couple of my comments! In any case, here's a sketch of what I was suggesting, which the only finished space that should be effected is the upstairs bath. You could bring it forward, have a slightly larger vanity, and included the linen closet inside the bathroom. Perhaps turn the current linen closet into bookshelves, a regular closet, or access to storage in the attic spaces.

photo IMAG6347_zps839443c1.jpg

o

Message removed

This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:05

o

Content removed

This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:07

o

If you've got the space, separate the garage from the main house with a breezeway or enclosed porch to make it look more country. mvjc did a great job. Can anything be done to eliminate that top bump in the roofline...it makes it look so bad vs a straight roofline. And the transom over the big window doesn't fit the rest of the facade.

I agree about designing in and out at the same time. It is essential ... harder to do, but essential ... to getting a house that's cohesive and attractive, inside and out. To us, it was so important that we ripped up dozens of plans because we couldn't fit a decent exterior to it. It was well worth the effort.

o

Message not available

This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:08

o

Not available

This post was edited by willietom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 20:56

o

I don't like it, something just seems off with the roof on the bottom of the house.......

o

Comparing the two design. I prefer the second one. Since you made it more simple than the previous design. I suggest you make some changes on the front..

Don't push too hard on yourself. Just relax and you'll see. You could come up with great design for you home.

Here is a link that might be useful: Safe and Sound Property Inspections

This post was edited by MarkBrandon01 on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 3:08

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here