Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
t_oaks

Should I pick a Media Room or an extra bedroom?

T_Oaks
10 years ago

My wife and I are building a new 1.5 Story with 4 BR/3 Bath on the first floor. The second floor with have either: a gameroom+ media(movie room)+half bath or a gameroom+5th bedroom+full bath.

Which option would you suggest and why?

Comments (9)

• lyfia
    10 years ago

A full bath with a room that could be either a bedroom or a media room. More flexible that way in usage.

A 5th bedroom has the potential for appraising more though.

• bridget helm
    10 years ago

extra bedroom. i think media room's are a waste of space. JMO

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

We thought about a media room on our lower level and rejected it...it's simply not convenient and we tend to do what is most convenient and easiest, so we decided it would seldom be used....we don't miss it at all.

• pps7
    10 years ago

I would do media room and full bath. As you can tell responses will be varied so I would make it as flexible as possible. We have a home theatre in the basement that we use quite a bit.

• bird_lover6
    10 years ago

Is the media room going to be large enough for a theater-type layout with rows of chairs? (Which I hate, btw...not exactly an intimate setting for a family.) If it's not that big or that's not what you had in mind, I'd opt for the extra bedroom/flex room and full bath.

• auroraborelis
    10 years ago

Personally, I miss having a basement with a second TV (Moved from Ontario to California) so having a game room/media room was really key for me. I like having space for people to spread, for someone to watch a movie while others are using the living room.

I think it is really whatever you will use most, but I would deffinitly put in the full bath!

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

If you put in the full bath, what the heck is the difference when built between a "media room" and a "5th bedroom"? They are both a room (maybe one without a closet? but, I'd want a closet in a media room too).

Just do it as a "5th bedroom" and use it as a media room if you want. You can use it as you please, but outfit it for the best bang for your buck (generally, for appraisal, that would be a bedroom)

• rwiegand
    10 years ago

Getting the TV out of one's living space is always a plus in my book. Anything that cuts down on TV time will help preserve brain cells :-)

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

We use our 4th bedroom upstairs as our 'media room' (no tv but we do watch movies) and it works splendidly, with the plus of being able to isolate movie noise from the inhabited portions of the house. There is something quite civil and attractive about having a living room without a big honkin' movin' screen in it.

The wiring's the only difference between the two that doesn't involve interior furnishings/window treatments, correct?