Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage Insulation

Posted by claga (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 14:32

Hi,
We have a year old home in Massachusetts.
The builder only insulated the firewall between the living area of the home and the garage and the ceiling of the garage.
He did not insulate the other three exterior walls of the garage.
The garage is very warm during the summer and cold during the winter, which I think are adding to my heating and air conditioning cost.
The walls ceiling have wall board on them and are skim coat plastered.
I was wondering if it was possible to insulate the un-insulated walls without removing the existing wall board?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage Insulation

Unless you're using the garage as a workshop, there's little point in insulating it.

If you still want to go ahead, the most economical improvement would be to affix extruded polystyrene (XPS) or expanded polystyrene (EPS) boards to the wallboard; but you'll then have to add thermal protection on top of the foam boards.

If the room above your garage is uncomfortably cold in the winter and hot in the summer, the best remedy is to remove the drywall and existing insulation, then spray foam it and add drywall below.

o
RE: Garage Insulation

you can drill holes in the walls between each stud bay and blow in insulation...but would need to know more information on your home to see if its worth the expense. Your wall between the unheated garage should be insulated and treated like one of your exterior walls. If it is, then your unheated garage should have little impact on your home's heating bills.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here