Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaymielo_gw

Cabinets are IN (Lots of pics)!

jaymielo
15 years ago

Finally. We are making some progress. I'm very happy with how they turned out and all the little "snafus" were resolved without too much difficulty. No show stoppers. The cabinets were handmade by an Amish family and installed by a local cabinet shop. I've heard enough grousing about the cabinets and the time it took to get them onsite to last me a lifetime, so I'm so happy to be over this hurdle. Endless thanks to all who tolerating my moaning about this for the past two months. The cabinets that seemed like they "were not meant to be" were actually just meant to be on their own schedule. lol!

Here is the kitchen. The island is in the front (will house sink) with the range and refrigerator along the back wall.

The sink base in the island with drawers to the right and a bookcase on the end.

Wine cubbies next to the wine fridge for "overflow" ;)

Banks of cabinets to the right and left of the range

To the right of the island is the cabinet for our Advantium and our small reach in pantry. I had two doors custom made to match the cabinet doors for the pantry.

This is the secretary in the nook

Across the great room is the fireplace. The two windows on the side of the fireplace will have leaded glass inserts which were salvaged from an old Craftsman home and the fireplace surround and hearth will have handpainted tile to match the kitchen backsplash.

Here are the medicine cabinets in our master bathroom

and the linen cabinet.

The dining room corner cabinets

Laundry room cubbies, W/D pedestals and cabinets

Powder room vanity

Desk in the boy's computer nook

Window seats in the TV room

Thanks for looking and for all the inspiration your pictures have provided me!

Comments (28)

• shelly_k
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow!! Your cabinets are just beautiful! I love all the unique pieces you have, not just in kitchen. I love the pullout boys computer desk and the window seats. I'm sure you are very happy with how they turned out!

• marthaelena
    15 years ago

Jaymielo,
    Your cabinets are so nice. I love the color that you chose because it looks nice with the different colors of paints.
    Is that tiffany blue in the master bathroom? I went to see a very beautiful house and the master bath had that color. I also like that you have computer nooks and cabinets in the dining. Is like you have everything someone may need in the laundry!!! and of course I remember the advantium :) -the cabinet looks bigger than what I thought!
    I also like that your cabinets looks like furniture b/c they have legs instead a base.
    I bet you are so happy! looks like the moving day is near. Maybe one more month?

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks shelly_k and marthaelana, The master bath is actually SW Drizzle and is more of a greeny blue than a Tiffany blue. I'm a little shocked at how it comes off in pictures. I think it is much less in your face in person. I was trying to pull the water "into" the room. The bath will have 4' tile wainscotting and all white plumbing fixtures, so I think it will tone down the color. I'm using dark brown bedding and towels, etc. Hopefully it will all come together in the end. If not, I'll repaint! (Right!)

• persnicketydesign
    15 years ago

WOW!!! Those were definitely worth the wait. I still think that the secretary is my favorite piece, but the boys' desk is running a close second...that is so clever!

I know you were worried about the installation. Glad to hear that all that worrying was for nothing.

Had to laugh at the little buddy in the kitchen with his hand on his hip supervising the installation. He must be the GC. :o)

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks persnickety, Those are my two favorite pieces also, I think just because so much thought went into them and because they are unique.

The little GC is actually mad because I'm taking pictures instead of going frog hunting with him. I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of "pets" snuck into the house once we are actually living there. Ick!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

So pretty!! Coming along nicely.

• persnicketydesign
    15 years ago

He's really fortuate that you planned all those drawers for him to hide the critters in! You really did think of everything. LOL

• neesie
    15 years ago

WOW! All of them, wow! I'm jealous....

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

you're moving along nicely! the cabinets are beautiful, and i'm really glad everything worked out. i don't think there's any way to get around the worry... it seems to be part of the process. good luck on the rest of the build!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Those are SO fantastic. Very, very beautiful...the style, the wood...Everything.

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. Very excited to see the rest of the elements come together. They measured for out counters last week. Guess that is the next hurdle. One step at a time. j.

• Flowerchild
    15 years ago

Jaymie, your cabinets are beautiful....They would look great in OUR house..The secretary is my favorite piece. No wonder it took so long, that's a lot of work and to know they are Amish-made makes them that much more special.

I had to laugh when you said you would repaint. That's what I'm planning to do this weekend, repaint the MA BDRM. Once our FP was in I decided I didn't like the current color. We don't even have the CO yet and I'm wanting to change it....We will never be finished at this rate, but I figure I'd better do it now while there's no furniture in there.
    I love your whole house BTW.
    Good Luck

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the kind words flowerchild. I really like the secretary also. It turned out a little different than I had intended, but I still really love it and I hope that it will have as much utility in the room as I imagined when designing it.

I'm pretty much kidding about repainting anything. I told DH that if he really disliked a color AFTER we were in and had seen a room with the floors done, furniture and accessories then we could repaint in ONE year. The wall colors change depending on the time and type of day and also change every time we add something to the room, so I want to live with them for a while before changing. Overall, I've been very happy with the palette.

I seem to remember we have a similar front door. We did stain ours and I was just looking for picture of it to share, but (I honestly can't believe this) I don't have one! It looks really nice and I can't wait to see it hung with the sidelights. We still have the bang door on right now. I'm hopeful that will change in the next couple of weeks!

Hope your house is still coming along. Jaymie

• Flowerchild
    15 years ago

Jaymie I would like to see a pic of your front door if you have time to post. We get lots of compliments on ours.
    Our progress has been slow due to DH having problems with his 9-5 job. We are basically concentrating on getting the front porch finished, GR FP plans finalized and flooring in GR & DR done. Will post pics when I get a chance.

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Beautiful Jaymie...almost there, almost there!

• janbanks
    15 years ago

So many beautiful pieces! Totally jealous! I love the mirrors (great idea, seldom seen anymore) and mantel in particular. This is probably impolite but may I ask what your cabinet/woodwork allowance is? No offense if you don't want to share this info. I totally understand. I'm just looking to get a feel for how much one can expect to pay for this kind of package.
    Thanks!

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Lindy, I hope you are right. I'm SO ready.

Jan, The mirrors were one of my pet projects also. They are recessed into an exterior 2x6 wall, so we had to get a little creative so they weren't "drafty". They actually recess 2" into the wall and stick out 2". I love the way they turned out. The funny (or not so funny) part of the story is that I had the openings roughed in for them. They sit on top of a 4' knee wall. When I initially put them up, because there is so much "frame" around the mirror, I couldn't see my reflection. I almost cried. Dumb, dumb me. However, luckily, we were able to pull them down about 7" and while they are still a bit high, they are functional now.

We got an outrageous deal on our cabinetry. I initially got a bid for the cabinets in just the kitchen from a big box. At the same time, I had found this cabinet maker and requested a bid for essentially the same amount cabinetry, except it was exactly to my design, was made of QS oak and had far superior construction. His bid was so reasonable that I added all the other cabinetry in the house and all the built ins. It would not have been in our budget to do all this otherwise. The final amount I paid for all the cabinetry in the house was less than my original kitchen quote. I don't feel entirely comfortable publishing an exact amount in a public forum, but please feel free to email me privately from My Page and I'd be happy to share this information with you and answer any other questions you might have..

• cait38
    15 years ago

So beautiful. I wish I had seen this before I started ours. So great. Congratulations.

• kimkss
    15 years ago

Looks beautiful! What are the paint colors in the other rooms? I really like your choices.

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cait38, Thank you very much.

kimkss, Not sure if there is a color you are particularly interested in... I think these are all the colors, in order of appearance

* Kitchen & Living Room - SW Humble Gold
    * Master Bedroom and Bath - SW Drizzle
    * Dining Room - SW Baked Clay
    * Powder/Laundry/Mud room - SW Studio Blue/Green
    * Computer Nook - SW Recycled Glass
    * TV Room - SW Latte

Hope that is helpful!

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Beautiful oak! Who is your cabinetmaker (I'm hoping he's near me)?

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Lovely . . . you and your cabinetmakers did a beautiful, beautiful job. Your specialty built-ins are just perfect!!

Hope you end up liking Drizzle . . . we used it, and two others from that strip in our last house and liked it a lot.

Congratulations . . . you're almost there!!

Arlene

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

congratulations! everything looks beautiful. i especially LOVE your secretary! would have been better with an actual "secretary" but i suppose this isn't the lifestyles of the rich and famous... maybe next time.

anyway, it must feel great to finally have things coming together. keep us posted, i want to see more! good luck with the finish, you're almost HOME!

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Funny to see this old thread pop up again, but thanks so much for the compliments. We have been in the house since Labor Day and loving it. Here is a link to the finished home and kitchen in particular if you are interested in how things turned out...

ajsmama, Please feel free to email me off my page if you want more info on our cabinetmaker. He is located in Wisconsin but is Amish and a private individual, so I haven't wanted to publish his name in a public forum.

Arlene, We do love the drizzle color. It is in our Master bed and bathroom and very relaxing.

kateskouros, The secretary would be better with an actual "secretary", but alas, not to be. :)

• mgabriel
    15 years ago

Look's great!.... I really like your baseboard. Is that a 1x6 painted? What type of wood is it?

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks mgabriel, The baseboards are a 1x6 board, made of poplar and painted white. Our door and window casing have a 1x6 header, 1x4 side trim pieces and the windows have a sill + 1x4 on the bottom. We also have plinth blocks where the door casing meets the baseboards. Our trim carpenters were great to work with me on achieving what we considered pleasing proportions.

• jeniferrlynne
    15 years ago

JAYMIELO! Please tell me where your dishwasher is? I have very similar layout, very very, fridge, range same wall, sink in island but need to make sure my fridge and DW don't run into each other, thanks!

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jeniferrlynne, Our DW is to the left of our sink as you are standing at it. It does not interfere at all with the fridge (which would be behind me and to the right if I'm at the sink). We also have a generous aisle between the island and range wall. We have room to have both the dishwasher and oven doors fully open and still "scoot by" if we need to. Here is a floorplan... Hope it helps!