Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammyte

Exterior window trim?

tammyte
10 years ago

Please forgive my ignorance. :)

I love the look of wide white trim around windows. Is that what it's called, trim? Do we order this with the siding or the windows or...?

Thanks!

Comments (20)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

The guys that just did ours called it trim or trimboard.

• tammyte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. So who does it? The person that does the siding?

• TNHawkeye
    10 years ago

We chose the window trim color when we picked out windows.

• TNHawkeye
    10 years ago

We chose the window trim color when we picked out windows.

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

The sub that is doing our siding is doing the exterior window siding (trimboard). I am quite sure that would be the norm, and definitely not window installer or window supplier.

Carol

• User
    10 years ago

Window trim used to be part of the window but modern windows have a nailing fin that rests against the exterior sheathing and is covered with flexible flashing and a weather/air barrier (Tyvek) then the trim and siding are added.

Of particular importance is the trim at the sill. It should be a "sub-sill" that extends the "drip edge" so water will not flow back behind the siding. Do not allow another trim board like the ones at the sides and top to be installed under the window.

Here is a link that might be useful: ATW cellular PVC window trim

• tammyte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! Off to read Reno8's link. :)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

The siding guys did ours.

• User
    10 years ago

It's all carpenter work. If you install a sub-sill it should extend to the outside edge of the side (jamb) trim so it looks like the traditional way of trimming a window. Don't let the manufacturer's desire to avoid protrusions that make the shipping box more expensive stop you from having a nice looking window.

• tammyte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I checked the link out. :) We are not near their area (I'm in Indiana) but their products look nice!

Is this something that can be done at a later date or does it need done when windows and siding are installed?

• FmrQuahog
    10 years ago

MiraTEC. Ask for it by name.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Trim needs to be installed as part of the siding, doors, windows and other penetrations in order to keep rain and weather from penetrating the wall assembly. Trim generally has a functional purpose.

Good luck on your project.

• tammyte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mira TEC? Can anyone get it or is it a special order type deal?

Thanks Virgil. I wasn't sure if it was considered cosmetic or what. There are some things that we will wait on if at all possible.

• FmrQuahog
    10 years ago

I reckon most anybody can buy MiraTEC. Click the "where to buy" option on the home page of the attached linky.
    Best of luck to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: MiraTEC

• illinigirl
    10 years ago

Renov8ter what do you mean by extending to the jamb? What will that look like? Do you mean so the window isn't flush with the exterior trim and siding? Can you show an example please?

• tammyte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Reno8-I am going to show this to my dh tonight. I appreciate this detailed info. We were planning on Anderson 200 series windows, fwiw.

• illinigirl
    10 years ago

ty renov8ter! Now I understand!

• User
    10 years ago

I thought I posted this earlier but I'll do it now: Andersen redesigned the 200 double-hung in 2012. You should avoid the older lower quality model. Ask if it has the Tilt-Wash feature.

• tammyte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Reno8-you did post earlier about that. I also posted a reply. Weird. I checked and we do have the tilt sash model. Maybe it was in another thread of mine. My mind is all over the place right now.