Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
camg_gw

Quick question--14x10 covered deck big enough?

CamG
10 years ago

Is a covered deck that is 14' wide x 10' deep "big enough"? I hope so, because we are pretty much maxing this budget out right now. We would like want to put a 6' table to seat 6 people, and a grill, although I could put the grill on the concrete patio landing on the ground. The deck will be about 6' off the ground, facing generally West. We will plan on adding some uncovered deck later, but I think we will do the covered section now. To go to a 16 x 10 is about $1,000 more, and on from there.

Just want to make sure we don't absolutely need a larger deck. We COULD make the cuts elsewhere, but would prefer not to. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Make a mockup ... lay out a 14x10 area on the lawn and haul in boxes or something to stand in for the furniture and grill.

That's the easiest way to tell.

• done_again_2
    10 years ago

My deck is 12x14 with 7 steps down to a 14x16 patio. It's a nuisance to have the grill too far from the kitchen. I don't know that putting it down on the patio would be convenient. We have our table & 4 chairs on the patio with the grill on the deck along with a few other smaller things because it's too tight otherwise.

The suggestion to do a mock-up is good.

• CamG
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the thoughts. I've kinda laid it out on our current deck. I don't think a grill and 6-chair table would fit on the deck. I hope to add another larger deck at some point, or if we can't fit everything, put the table elsewhere (on a side note, is it safe to have a grill under a covered porch, I wonder? The ceiling won't be much higher than 8 ft.)

Maybe a bit of a silly question, but we hadn't given much thought to a covered deck and they needed us to make a decision right away. Thanks!

• pps7
    10 years ago

If you want the grill up there, then i would do 10' x16'

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

If you want a grill underneath a covered deck, you will need an outdoor hood, which is pretty darn expensive. It will smoke you out like no tomorrow without it! The grill needs to go in the open air.

• CamG
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hollysprings, thanks for confirming that--I figured that was the case, but looking around my neighborhood a few people have grills on their covered decks... it is a new neighborhood, maybe they haven't used them yet? Either way, doesn't sound safe to me, so that makes things simpler for the deck. We'll go with the 14 x 10. Thanks everyone. Its nice to have these quick questions answered, well, quickly!

• bridget helm
    10 years ago

we have a 10 by 20 foot patio, and every time we have people over to grill, i could kick myself for not making it deeper. our table is 4 feet round and if you need to pass behind someone to get from one side of the patio to the other, you have to into the flowerbed. it was an oversight on my part. i thought 4 foot table - 10 foot porch - sure that works. wrong!!

so if you can't go at least one foot deeper, be sure to get a very narrow table, 3 feet max.