Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcfromct

Question about propane...

mcfromct
10 years ago

Moving from city utilities to propane, well, & septic and I honestly don't have a clue how much it will cost to fill the propane tank. It's a 1000 gallon tank but he will be putting ~800 in to start. Does anyone have a clue approx how much this will cost? (I realize it varies somewhat) I'm trying to estimate those 'extras' at closing. Thanks in advance.

Comments (14)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

800 lbs should be about 200 gallons at approximately $2.00 a gal.

• hendricus
    10 years ago

800 gallon x $2 = $1600.
    I have a 500 gal. tank which is filled to 80% and does not go below 20%. Typical fill last winter was $500+ 3 times, prepaid for this winter at $1492.00. $1.899 per gallon, last year was 2.199.

• mcfromct
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx so much-very helpful!

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Sorry I thought you said pounds not gallons hendricus is closer to reality.

• davemartin88
    10 years ago

We're in West Virginia and just bought propane for $2.16 per gallon. Here, propane is definitely cheaper in the summer so if you're not going to close for a while, maybe there is a way to lock in a price so you'll exactly what your cost will be? Good luck on the closing

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Have you considered electricity for heating, cooling and cooking?

Good luck with your project.

• robin0919
    10 years ago

I agree with virgil on that. Propane is 'expensive' for heating. How much is your kw?

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

The only thing about propane - you never lose it during a power outage! But having said that - we talked about using propane for some things, but we decided it wasn't worth the added expense...are you talking about propane for everything, or just for a few things, like cooking?

• mcfromct
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It would be propane for heat, hot water and cooking. I thought electric was more expensive for those? Anyway, the tank is already in so it's too late to switch now! ;). Btw, the oven is dual fuel (electric oven, propane gas burner)

• mydreamhome
    10 years ago

The tank being in does not mean you can't re-evaluate your options. Obviously, your range requires the propane so the tank stays. What you choose to power with the propane is still flexible. For instance, we opted to utilize the propane for our rangetop, tankless hot water heater, gas fireplace, and it kicks in with our hybrid heatpump when outside temps reach Hope this helps & good luck with your build!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

We are in CT and decided on geothermal for heating and cooling and are very happy. We have LP for the tankless hot water heaters and our gas fireplace.

• jindala
    10 years ago

Hi,
    I live in CT and we are planning to build a new house, Natural Gas is not available there, only Oil and propane, I am exploring GeoThermal.
    AnnieDeighnaugh,
    Which contractor did you use for Geothermal? If you can provide some more info, that would be helpful.

• Brian_Knight
    10 years ago

Propane is usually the most expensive fuel source available.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

We paid $2.60 per gal for LP on our last fill up...we use it for our tankless hot water heaters, our back up generator and our gas fireplace.

For geothermal, we went with Ralph Mann and Sons in Ansonia....Craig Mann said in new construction, he's only doing geothermal these days. He usually does water furnace, but a buddy of mine had a really bad experience with them, so we asked if they could go with Econar instead and they did. I think Econar has since been bought out. But we went with them as they are made in Minnesota where it's cold... so they build units that heat and also cool, as opposed to many that are designed for warmer climates so they cool and also heat. We have been delighted with our system. We had to drill two 250' wells drilled in one day. Amazing. Of course they aren't looking for water...they're just drilling a hole. Also, no outside compressors like with a traditional a/c unit.

We chose to use it to heat/cool air (vs. say radiant floor heat) so we could use the same ducts for both. We also have a wood stove and use the ducts to circulate the hot air from the wood stove too. And we had them design the system so all the duct work is in conditioned space to minimize heat loss/gain.

We also have a desuperheater so it pre heats the hot water when the unit is running so we use less propane. When the a/c is on, it essentially heats the hot water for free.

Another thing though is the system likes steady temperature, so no day/night thermostat as at the old house when we heated with oil. We keep the temp constant all winter.

That's the unit on the right. The water tank is not a heater but just stores the hot water the unit generates when it's running.

These are the pipes that bring the fluid down the wells (they are 4' underground so there is nothing seen above ground outside at all) to capture the earth's temperature which is about 52 degrees year round, and the unit extracts the heat from the fluid in the winter and puts heat into the fluid in the summer. So the cost of running the system is the electricity to run the pumps that pump the fluid. Very efficient...about 300% efficient.

You might want to ask on the renewable energy forum as there are some very knowledgable people there.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County