Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scrapbookheaven

Fire in our neighborhood

scrapbookheaven
11 years ago

My family was evacuated Friday afternoon in Utah for a wildfire and there were thoughts of having to rebuild our home that we build less than two years ago. We got back in last night due to heroic efforts of many firefighters and volunteers. I am grateful for our 9 year old son who looked out the window and yelled, "Fire, fire!" There were flames about 200 yards from our home. The winds were horrible and it was miraculous that only four homes burned. The fire came within about 30 yards of our home.

So just some helpful hints to those of you who might be facing a disaster:

1. People are more important than things.

2. Look out for your neighbors.

3. Make a list of what you would want to grab if you had five minutes to get out. Put essential document in one place so it will be easy to grab.

4. Keep as calm as possible and help your children do the same. Advance plan for what the kids need to do and have practice drills. Have them beat their best times.

5. Have a contact point outside of the area for family check ins.

6. Keep trees away from the footprint of your home. It might mean the difference of you still having a home to go back to.

7. Say a prayer for all emergency, firefighter, and volunteers and their families. They sacrifice so much.

My husband was out of the country when we evacuated, but he knew we were safe. That was a blessing. The shelter was a refuge and the people who just dropped off supplies were so appreciated. Home Depot sent over employees and scores of project kits for the kids to keep them occupied.

So with gratitude in my heart and hopes that none of you will face the same, my prayers go out to so many who have lost homes this wildfire season.

Comments (4)