Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using IKEA like a hardware store...

Posted by carsonheim (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 13:11

I recently came across an old thread about getting a high quality kitchen using IKEA for bits and pieces (thread link below).

That got me thinking, I'm not much of an IKEA-hacker (or DIYer of any sort, really), but there may be some good components that one could use for certain aspects of their new home.

For instance for my closet I've purchased a couple of the komplement pull out pants hangers to have the custom cabinet builder install. They are waaaay cheaper than similar products elsewhere. There may also be rev-a-shelf substitutes using IKEA parts. I've even considered purchasing their drawers and putting them throughout the house instead of custom-building. They already come with the excellent Blum hardware and soft-close system as well, so it could work out nicely.

Anyone else have ideas of how to use IKEA for bits and pieces? Would love to hear your thoughts!

Here is a link that might be useful: High quality kitchen using IKEA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using IKEA like a hardware store...

Thanks for bringing this up. When we lived overseas, we used ikea for all of our furnishings, because they were way cheaper than other options and we knew that we were only using them for a few years. However, usually at the end, we sold them to other expat families and who knows how long they used them. We are building now, and I'm going down to check out for closets and maybe even look at the hardware. My only problem, in the past, 99% of the time, we were missing hardware of some sort when we unpacked the boxes and then it required another trip to get it. Our new home is thousand of miles away from a store. Did you assemble the Komplement pant hangers yourself or leave them for the builder?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here