Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angel411_gw

Threeapples?

angel411
10 years ago

Haven't seen any of her posts lately and hoping for an update on her build. Anybody know anything?

Comments (20)

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

It's getting close but not done yet.

• angel411
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Pal. You're another one who's been MIA around the boards lately. Miss your posts!

• threeapples
    10 years ago

Our house is going very well lately and looking great. We have a few more months yet until completion, but all is finishing up really nicely. I took a break from the forum because I was tired of the negativity with my posts and those of others on here. Thanks for thinking of me. :)

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

Hi threeapples,

Hope you will come back and let us have a peek as to how your attention to detail and perseverance has paid off! I wanted to tell you that enjoyed reading your posts even if I didn't (and still don't) know enough about architecture, building, history or design to contribute in a meaningful way to your discussions. I have learned a lot.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Threeapples- Don't let the negativity get to you! There are plenty of people looking forward to seeing your home...and you. I've always enjoyed your input and your questions :)

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

I'm with lavender_lass. Please continue to update us on your progress and let us know what your current challenges/successes are. We are very slowly building our dream house too, and understand how many problems there are in the process. We all learn from each other and GW has been a great source to help us solve our building dilemmas. Your house, threeapples is going to be simply beautiful and oh so perfect for your family after all your careful planning after monitoring.

Carol

• threeapples
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I'll try to upload some photos soon. It's really coming along nicely, thanks to help from many of you, and we are really pleased.

• gbsim1
    10 years ago

I agree with others....
    The source of the negativity was largely because most of your posts were about problems and crises so you got strong opinions and some frustration from those of us who could feel your pain! We rarely if ever got to hear about something fantastic!
    Post some pics for us of good choices and things that are going well to help balance the feeling that the construction was a nightmare. :)
    Hope you get in soon and have smooth sailing for the last weeks!

• dadereni
    10 years ago

I know it was hard to see a member repeatedly faced with less than good workmanship, and struggling with the pressures to accept it. I admire your optimism, and I hope you've arrived at a good place and will be happy in your new home.

• bowyer123
    10 years ago

Now that my home is finished, I don't visit this forum as much as I used to. I know 3apples had some trouble, but I am sure the house will be absolutely gorgeous when complete.

I'm happy to see you posting on here and look forward to your reveal.! Good luck!

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Another member looking forward to your next post of pictures. I've enjoyed seeing your home under construction. As far as the negativity, when you come to a post with negative comments, just stop reading and go to the next one. Especially at this stage of the game - you're almost done, so why read "I would do ABC instead of XYZ."

I'm most excited about the kitchen!

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

Yes Threeapples post some more pictures if you get the chance. The trials and tribulations of building can wear us down but I always look forward to seeing everyone's progress.
    So good to hear you are pleased now that the end is in sight.

• threeapples
    10 years ago

There are still big projects left (exterior moulding, which is being custom made because of odd size constraints), front and back steps, balustrade on covered porch, etc, and some flooring and shower doors need to go in. But, I am much calmer about things as many previously unresolved issues have been addressed: tile issues, drywall and paint issues, and on and on. I have up with the hardwood floors and still don't love them. They are finally flat, but my regret is not insisting on an oil wax finish as ours show the tiniest scratch and I don't like the satin poly on top of them. I'll post photos later this week.

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

Hi threeapples! Glad to hear you're nearly there. Would you mind elaborating a bit on the oil wax vs. poly floor finish? We had been looking at an engineered prefinished oil wax flooring but our builder is suggesting a site-finished with poly to save money, and I don't want to regret it down the road. (Also, a belated thank you for posting about cremone hardware for windows way back when, before I read that I don't think I had ever heard that term, now we might use some.)

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

Hi threeapples! Glad to hear you're nearly there. Would you mind elaborating a bit on the oil wax vs. poly floor finish? We had been looking at an engineered prefinished oil wax flooring but our builder is suggesting a site-finished with poly to save money, and I don't want to regret it down the road. (Also, a belated thank you for posting about cremone hardware for windows way back when, before I read that I don't think I had ever heard that term, now we might use some.)

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I'd like to know about the floor finish, too. My parents built the house I grew up in with oak parquet, wax finish but I don't believe there was any oil involved. The floors were stained, waxed and buffed. Where does the oil come into it? I would love to go back to that look without poly.

• threeapples
    10 years ago

I posted a query on the flooring forum and someone responded with three brands that make this finish. My flooring company refused to do this finish and, since I was hesitant to be the guinea pig, I allowed them to do a satin poly that they recommended. I don't like it at all. I prefer the more lustrous feel of wood or waxed wood instead of the plastic feel I think mine has. Nobody seems to agree with me, but I've fallen in move with wood floors from Birger Juell and the like, but they were way out of budget. Had I to do it again I would have done more research. The hardwood flooring was one of my husband's projects while I took over all the tile and stone flooring. I'll look up that thread later.

As for the Cremone, I'll post some photos as soon as they are done installing it. I love the look and am happy with it so far.

• chris11895
    10 years ago

I haven't been on here for months and was hoping to see pictures of your beautiful home! Have you moved in yet?

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

The finish work is still not done/photo ready in various areas of the house.

• chris11895
    10 years ago

Thanks, Pal!