Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint trim before, ceiling before?? Order of paint

Posted by bmh4796 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 12:36

Walls, 2 ceiling support beams, and crown will all be the same color - shoji white. Ceiling will be dove white. In what order is this painted? Does the crown get painted before installation? Seems like it would get dirty while being installed so should be painted after installation

One other question- painting historical brick inside. I know its a shame to paint historical brick, but they are old saint Louis reds and my colors are very light - not a bit of red in the house. So do we prime these or seal these with a clear sealer before painting? They are inside

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint trim before, ceiling before?? Order of paint

I would seal the brick with a clear sealer so the paint doesn't soak into the pores.

You will get better coverage, AND if you change your minds, it will be easier to strip.

o
RE: Paint trim before, ceiling before?? Order of paint

Crown gets painted after installing. ALL molding gets painted after install. You still have to fill the nail holes and then sand. From what I've read, the ceiling gets painted first then everything else.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here