Return to the Building a Home Forum

o
It's July 2014, How is your build progressing?

Posted by Autumn.4 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 12:30

skyangel-con #1 of being an owner builder....... :( No one fessed up so then what. We could have replaced it but then we'd have to eat the cost and doing a lot of DIY and GCing it just got pushed aside. Double :( I totally agree - us damaging it would have been one thing but sadly no. Thanks, we are very happy with our choice.

jdez-someone again a big ? chipped the boys fiberglass tub right front and center near the top. Why I oughta - have a fit. I had a fit and then we moved on. Another mystery that will never be solved. As for grass - I did hear of one that is low maintenance - grows slow and doesn't take a lot of water but I haven't checked it out yet. We will leave most of our yard natural with just grass and landscaping close to the house. We can always clear more later if we decide we want more to the sides. The back is state land so we can't clear it anyhow. If I can figure out the name of that grass I'll post it!

hoosiers-yippee! Finally right? Weather looks gorgeous by you right now.

We pick up our 'new to us' table tonight. Yay!

DH is working on stone as we speak. Woohoo!

Link to June Part III

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's July 2014, How is your build progressing?

Where the heck did June go? Is it July already? I was supposed to be sipping margaritas out on the patio right now. Drat.

o

Skyangel, my GC told me to budget $10/sq' for tile installation. He said they all quote $4, but that's for a 12x12 grid pattern. Oh, you want smaller tiles? Upcharge. You want a staggered pattern? Upcharge. You want it angled? Upcharge. I might just end up doing the tile myself.

Is your wall tile the same as the floor tile? At least the same colour? If so, I think the mix of running bond and diagonal will give it a bit of interest. If they are really different, it might be busy. That said, I'm planning running bond white tile in the shower, and herringbone "wood" tiles on the floor. I think the white keeps it from being busy.

o

Thank you, everyone, for all the support :) Sorry so many of you have been through the same thing.

Autumn- I would never have realized you were hiding a chip! Ha! That’s clever. I've been trying to view it this way- when you get a new car you are all paranoid something will happen to it, and the first scratch ruins your day (or at least mine lol) but then afterwards you can roll with the flow because it’s been broken in. These people are trying to help us feel comfortable by breaking in our homes for us :)

Skyangel & illigirl - We are having some of the same concerns. 2.26 acres of previous farmland- what to do? We’re looking for low maintenance, drought-resistant solutions as well. We have some covenants but nothing too restricting, and no HOA. We are debating on trying some sort of naturalization in the back- perhaps a meadow of sorts. But we’d need something there year round, so we can’t just make a giant wildflower garden (plus, money!)

On a random note, the plumber is at our house today and we have our electrical walkthrough tomorrow! As of yesterday no plumbing or electric had been completed. In fact, we thought there was no way they could run electric, as all of the windows are not in and there's no wrap on the house. Guess we'll see.

o

Oaktown - The cabinet pull I had posted is Atlas Ergo but I looked up the one you mentioned and it looks the same to me....so that would be a good deal of savings. I still have a couple of weeks to decide but I like that one A LOT.

Hoosier - Woohoo!!! You have an actual move within your sights? It seems like just yesterday that you started...ok, not really...lol. Good for you!

Skyangel - No, I never posted a pic of the pendants but I will later when I get home.

Autumn.4 - It appears that you are the only one who had moved on to the month of July. There has GOT-TO-BE-A-WAY to fix the chip on the bathtub. You shouldn't have to be fixing it, but that's beside the point.

Musicgal - I hear ya...You will be sipping on your margarita very soon. In the meantime, sip or guzzle now while you supervise the build. ;)

Ladybrowncoat - You sound better today. Yes, they are trying to break your house in for you. That has got to be what they're doing. Glad to hear you have your elec walk-through. Very exciting.

o

The 2nd floor is going up great, and soon the builder said he will be ready for the roof. I placed or finalized order for windows yesterday, so it is exciting to e seeing progress.

Autumn I would be so upset about the shower, that is crazy.

And I want to see the pendent lights you got off of etsy.

o

We're in our final month. Have to be move-in-able by the end of the month per the bank. Our 12 month construction loan is up and we're converting to a regular mortgage. Thankfully it was a one time close deal (last Aug) and we don't have to be reappraised because quite frankly a few things just aren't going to be done, no matter how much I cry about it. So on we go.

Kitchen is coming together nicely, kids tile is in and I love the stripes we did. We'll be setting vanities next. Tile setters have started our master bath tile, Stone fireplace starts next week and hardwood scheduled for mid month.

We've had our hiccups along the way, framer took 4 weeks longer than he projected, roofers/siders took 2 months longer than they projected and the latest is that most of my custom stained millwork and doors need to be redone. Over-spray on the millwork left a rough finish and the beautiful 3 panel doors (all of them!) were incorrectly sanded against the grain so the stain shows all of the scratches. Thankfully the company is taking ownership but this is one of the reasons we just won't be done with everything, besides the things we flat our ran out of money to do (landscaping). We'll just be mowing the natural grass that grows so well in this former pasture for awhile until we save up the money to do more to the landscape.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

JDez -- Be sure to look at samples so you can make sure whatever pulls you order work for you in real life! Cliffside comes in larger sizes than 3" but they are more $. Top Knobs and Schaub also make pulls with the faux screws, but two-per-side instead of just one. Top Knobs will send free samples (you pay shipping) and discount coupons.

Here is a link that might be useful: Top Knobs faux screw foot pull

o

Thanks Oaktown. I have one of the Atlas pulls. I will order a sample of the Cliffside. I appreciate the help more than you know.

o

NWHobart- That tile pattern is so clean and modern looking. Sorry to hear about the mess with your woodwork. I'm at the point where I don't assume they can do anything without supervision- whereas before all this, I thought- They're professionals; they know what they're doing. Ha, ha.

I found two cabinet door knobs lined up like this in the am.
○ :
: ○

o

Musicgal or Carsonheim - Going to Round Rock in late July to bring DS to a baseball game. I am looking for a certain type of screen door for the pantry and was thinking about checking out the flea markets/antique shops in the area. Do you know of any particular place that you could recommend for an old screen door? Maybe Navasota area? Our time will be limited so I thought maybe one of you Texans could suggest a certain place. TIA.

o

Drywall started yesterday!

o

Sometimes it seems like there is not one person at our house (other than me!) that owns a tape measure or a level. Latest is that we have 2 lights above each vanity in the master. Mine are 12" from each side. DH are 17" from each side. I guess they thought I wanted it asymmetrical?

o

Lol Jackson. I hope they make it right. That is ridiculous.

Yay Guitarman!

o

Musicgal-umm I wish that is how I looked at it back when It happened, but I have to admit I was steaming mad!

Jackson-what the! I promise it wasn't me measuring! I am sure they will fix it.

Hobart-nice tile work!

Here is today's progress -go hubby go! Makes such a difference. :). Please excuse the materials scattered about.

o

Amberm, you aren’t kidding. We needed a ton of the 2 x 2 mosaic tiles because our shower is a walk in shower behind the tub, so let’s just say the bill was unexpectedly high. But tile is purchased and since I put it on a credit card I can forget about it for 30 days. ;-)

And the wall tiles are 10 x 20 in a running bond/brick joint pattern lengthwise, while floor tiles the same color (light blue/gray swirly marble look), but 20 x 20. So we can do the same running bond/brick joint, although because the floor tiles are square it will look somewhat different. Or the 20 x 20 diagonally. Price difference is $80 less for the running bond. So not enough to determine what we do. It’s preference, only I don’t know what I prefer! :-)

I do like the idea of mixing up the patterns for interest, since the tiles are the same style.

Autumn, oh yes, I forgot for a moment you were owner-builders. Well, I think you have a good attitude about it, and really, as far as the window, with that cute flower no one will ever notice it. And definitely share the name of the grass if you find it!

NWHobart, oh wow, that is a lot of delays. I can’t believe they sanded the doors the wrong way!!! Sometimes you wonder how people who do this for a living supposedly can make so many mistakes so many times. And as far as landscaping, we are running out of money too. So you aren’t alone, at least. :-)

JDez, I think a vintage screen door will be awesome for your pantry door. I have no suggestions, but I’d love to see it when you find one.

o

NWH - When asked what I want for my bday, I've told everyone to buy me a tree...lol. Maybe a tactic that will work for you.

Autumn4 - Looks really nice. Goes perfect with your siding. Tell DH that his work is officially GW approved, at least by me. Haha.

Skyangel - You lost me with the tile talk but if it were me, I would go with the simplest design so it's harder for anybody to screw it up. Not impossible but less likely.

Here is the promised pic of one of my pendant lights. Minimalist design. I ordered two of them from a designer on Etsy. That is polished nickel and it has a matching canopy. The cord is green and cream-like cloth to match the colors of my future kitchen. I already broke the bulb filament in one of them when I was showing it to DH and swung it into a cabinet door. Typical. Yep, that's it.

o

In my city, to get your cert of occupancy, landscaping must be done, or you have to submit a security deposit to guarantee it'll be done. If you don't, the city does it for you, and if the security deposit doesn't cover it, the city will send you a bill. :S If money's running low near the end of the build, we'll leave bathrooms unfinished before landscaping. The city isn't going to decide what bathtub to put in. :-) Fortunately, our lot's only about 6000 sq' total. So it shouldn't be too expensive. But we're required to have a certain number of trees, so a bag of grass seed isn't going to cut it.

The funny thing is, once you've moved in, if the trees die, nobody says a word. I saw a woman at the Home Depot garden center with a cart full of dead bushes and trees, and a GIANT grin on her face like she'd scored the best deal ever. I figure she was planting them to cover the city's landscaping requirements.

JDez, when you mentioned the etsy lights, I thought you were talking about the wine barrel ones someone else posted. Add me to the list of people looking forward to seeing your screen door pantry.

o

JDez- If you are going to Round Rock, you will be up above Austin, and a little South of Georgetown. Gtown would be a good place for an antique hunt as they have a great little town center there filled with kitzy shops.

Navasota is a long drive from where you will be... if you end up going there though, there are a lot of little towns on Highway 6 that have reclaimed doors and other items in shops on the way. One place I know for sure ( since I pass it on my commute to the site) is in Tomball on the main street. The porch of that shop always has a bunch of reclaimed doors, wagon wheels, old baby carriages... you name it. Navasota also has a three story, lower priced antique store near the railroad tracks and there used to be a custom woodworking shop down there too.

Pretty much all the little towns are filled with junk/antique shops which are their stock and trade along the back highways. Chances are, if the speed limit goes down below 45mph, there's a shop there.

Don't know if this helps at all- I would not travel too far from Round Rock because the Georgetown area probably has what you want, but if you end up in Navasota, give Martha's Bloomers a thought for lunch:)

o

They started to put the lights on the front of the house today-

o

Thanks Musicgal. Navasota is on our route from Louisiana and I remembered seeing some junk stores in that area. That is why it came to mind. Now I will have to eat lunch there or I will always wonder what I missed out on. I will make a pass through Gtown also since we will be in that area. Thanks again.

o

Autumn, is that the Tennessee Ledgstone from Stone Craft? We are thinking of using it on our front gables. If so, it looks great!

o

Buckeye-indeed it is. :) thanks. We thought it was a good fit, bold but complimentary.

o

Autumn, love the stone! I have a question for you. Now that you've lived in the house for several weeks, do you find that some of the things you were so concerned about really aren't an issue or weren't worth worrying about? I will see a little thing here or there and think, "Will I even care or notice this after we've lived here for awhile?" I usually say no.

Musicgal, I really like those exterior lights. I wish we had gone with something bigger. But, after buying and returning several different ones, I was so tired of it all that I settled for the last ones. And, after the electricians installed them, they aren't exactly the color I thought they'd be. Oh well, DH can switch them out some day if they really start to bother me.

Amberm, if we had to wait for landscaping, I don't think we would ever move in! Ours won't be done until the fall. We are on a slower producing well, so we can't worry about watering in the summer.

JDez, I can't wait to see how your pendant lights will look in your kitchen.

Guitarman, YAY, drywall!

jenniekehr, look at you with second floor going up!

NWHobart, I love your tile pattern. Sorry about the sanding issue. Makes you wonder about the qualifications of the finishers. Even though our painters took forever because they only worked a lot right before they wanted money, :-) they definitely knew how to stain and finish wood.

jackson2348, sorry about the measurements being so off. Frustrating, right? I hope you can get it fixed.

We noticed (too late) that the exhaust fan/light above the toilet in the master bath is no-way centered. It's over a foot off. It's stuff like and the electrical switches being so wrong that drive me batty. It's not like I didn't have labels with the order of each item prior to installation. Now, they have to come back and fix every room except two. Here are just two examples of how wrong they got them.

photo IMG_4891_zps1d8c5468.jpg

photo IMG_4889_zps8df062d0.jpg

o

Almost forgot. The 1x6 T&G pine is going up on the ceiling in the living room too!

o

Guitar-looks great!

JDez-I thought that kinda stuff only happened to me! Love them. Can't wait To see your pantry door.

Hoosiers-as you can imagine some things I fretted about for no reason yet other things we now think hmmm, oops. Some things are just hard to figure out on paper. Mainly there are a couple of fixed windows that we would have vented and even though it would have been SMALL I would have put a window in the boys bath-drives me nuts and it's stuffy even with a fan. But there have also been unexpected pleasures too. :). I love the windows on out stairwell, on paper I wasn't sure. I love all the natural light in our back entry. I think our dining room is perfect size for us and I like it tucked back a little. Our walk through closet I was concerned about but I love it. It's all about this and that. :). I hope they get your lights right his time around!

I am new to gas cooking and I love it but I seem to have trouble remembering to turn the burner off! Yikes!!!

o

guitarman- love the look of tongue and groove for interior ceilings.It makes a room feel warm and natural.

Autumn, gas stoves rock:-) I toyed around with the thought of induction but I didn't want to get exposed to high EMFs while cooking. They say an arm's length will take you out of the field, but I tend to hover over the pots-

That's today's chore for me- to sit out and wait for JB Hunt to bring the range out to the build site. I also need to put out a sign asking the contractors not to put their food items on the new quartzite. Fun.

The other day, someone came in and asked me if I was the designer. I said,
" kind of" jokingly and then told him I was the owner. Seems like my Spanish speaking subs saw me painting the other day and figured I was the interior decorator, and have been identifying me as such to the newer subs that come in. When I wrote a check to the concrete guy in front of them the other day, they realized who I was- that was funny, because they started to be a lot more tidy around me.

It's so nice here in the AC at my friend's house. Alas, it's time to spray mosquito repellant on, and go sit in my camp chair in case JB shows up today.

o

Great suggestion on the tree gifts JDez.

Amber, thankfully we have no such requirements for our permit. Our house is on 5.5 acres and at this time we haven't even defined where our yard will start and stop. I figure we'll start small on manicured yard and expand from there. And I think you might be referring to my wine barrel orb that I bought off of Etsy. Going to try and convince my husband to hang it this weekend since there is a lot less dust in the house now. I'll be sure to snap a picture once it is hung.

Thought I would share a pic so you could see just how bad these doors ended up. It's sad.

These are the beautiful Simpson doors

This is how they were finished. ALL 30 OF THEM!

o

That looks like more of a stain mistake than a sanding mistake. Or possibly sanding the rail and slipping. Not like they were actually intentionally sanding (or staining) against the grain. I think they assumed you wouldn't notice.

The landscaping thing is part of building inner city. They want to make sure there are lots of trees in the city (which was built on the prairies in an arid climate. Hmmmm.). And I guess people were moving in and then not bothering to put in trees. So they now require the deposit if you're moving in outside of planting season. Of course, it also means you need the money for the deposit AND the money for the landscaping. Otherwise you have no choice in what gets planted or how much gets spent.

Over the weekend we did a tour of green homes. We met a couple who has built several homes and they suggested finding a Hutterite colony to build our stairs. (Hutterites are a religious order that came out of the same movement that created the Amish. But there's more a focus on communal living rather than shunning technology.) Can you google Hutterite colonies? Sure enough, you can. But there are hundreds of them in our area. Which ones do metal and woodwork? So I went to a farmer's market yesterday (where there are often Hutterites selling veggies) and met some people who recommended a few colonies to contact. I felt so weird going to a farmer's market to find components of the house.

o

Yes, that is correct, it's the sanding block on the rail without care to make sure they didn't hit the recessed panel of the door. My door co. does all the prep work before sending them to be stained and obviously the finishers didn't stop or didn't notice the horizontal groove on all the doors after the stain was put on prior to moving on to the next door. Otherwise they may have had an opportunity to fix the issue.

I don't think it was intentional but I just wish someone would have noticed the error before moving on with all of the doors.

o

NWHobart- They are indeed very beautiful doors. Hopefully, the door company will find a way to make it right. Very frustrating though to have to be the one to spot it.

amberm, I would have loved to hire Amish or a Hutterite crew to work on our house. What amazing craftsmanship I've seen up in Pennsylvania when we visited up there. Old school, reasonably priced and it seems they "do it right". Can't complain about our backwoods guys though- they still take pride in what they do because everybody knows them.

I'm pretty fried right now. Been out in the heat since 12 noon, and since I can't sit still while other people are working, I cleaned windows, counters and floors to pass the time. GC thinks the air conditioning will be running next week... O happy day. But the house is filled with construction dust and I really don't want that sucked into the system. So, I am making it a personal mission to keep the place as tidy as possible- even though I overheard a contracter say that I was a "little OCD" today;-) Yeah, well if it was his money, he might be a little OCD too.

The stove finally came; a Verona double oven dual fuel range, which will slide into its slot on the wall. JB Hunt gave me a 1-5pm delivery window and they came at.... 6. So it goes. I am blessed to be here in town.
Two toilets came today. One was shattered and one was good so there's only one more toilet to have delivered.

Was happy to be hanging around though, as I prevented the wrong ceiling fans from going up in the Master. They are not the prettiest things to look at in bed, but when it's 97 degrees outside, they seem quite beautiful:)

o

Jdez, very nice pendant light! I am a klutz, and probably would have broken one already too, if it were me. :-)

Amberm, that’s a funny story. So interesting how different places have different regulations. We are enough in the country, plus our driveway is 400 feet off the road, so no one would notice except the friends we invited over. Still, I want grass for the kids to play on. And looks, of course.

Autumn, love the exterior stone. Such a nice, custom look. And I have the same question as hoosierbred, as I am tormented by every little thing right now! I hear you on the window in the kids’ bathroom. I already wish I had added it.
Hoosierbred, ugh on the light fixtures! And what a great idea to label which ones you wanted to be where… I didn’t even think of that. And if they had the gosh darn paper right in front of them….goodness. You’d think they’d get sick of free labor and do it right the first time. I know I would.

Guitarman, LOVE your ceiling!

o

So I'm still obsessing about plumbing fixtures. I posted in the bathroom forum, but I'm wondering what all of you decided on for shower systems in the master bath.

We currently have a double head shower from westin heavenly showers. Apparently not made anymore and this new shower is much larger 8x4 and we were going to turn it into a spa like experience, with a rainshower, handheld and another head, but sometimes it feels like a waste of money.

At this moment, I'm so tired of making plumbing decisions, I'm about to throw in the towel!!

o

jdez --- musicgal gave you some good input. One other town you might pass through is Brenham. They may have some good options as well.

Jennie - looks great! so exciting to see it coming together, isn't it?

NWHobart -- you are so close! Fingers crossed everything else goes smoothly :)

guitarman -- WOW! gorgeous ceiling!

Here's what's happening today:

Front of the house:
 photo EB99912A-A9FD-42DF-8BC5-876BE4959F48_zps9kcdjaic.jpg

family room:
 photo 45482064-2EF1-43C1-8741-FAC94DF31B5D_zps2x6hakfj.jpg

family room fireplace wall:
 photo 4B2FBB9B-99E6-48CE-92B0-1561E0D92E83_zpsmjykr9jl.jpg

kitchen -- window over sink :)
 photo 293FC636-6EE8-4B51-A54C-8BA01AB80173_zpsp8wkzey2.jpg

breakfast room:
 photo 42600BB6-F367-4FFF-AAC9-9E52401F28B6_zpskf5ii02p.jpg

formal living room:
 photo 9B0D4D28-C14F-4188-83F5-8BB6F38B56D9_zpsrx5bsqul.jpg

master bathroom:
 photo 0D1161E3-AA63-4E3F-8345-32CD7BFC7F63_zpsag5ypf4t.jpg

master bedroom:
 photo 391A1C25-D41B-40BB-B0EA-13481CA80CD0_zpsusdjm2ff.jpg

I know this just looks like a whole bunch o' sticks to most of you, but I can *totally* see the whole thing as I walk thru it! :)

o

jdez --- musicgal gave you some good input. One other town you might pass through is Brenham. They may have some good options as well.

Jennie - looks great! so exciting to see it coming together, isn't it?

NWHobart -- you are so close! Fingers crossed everything else goes smoothly :)

guitarman -- WOW! gorgeous ceiling!

Here's what's happening today:

Front of the house:
 photo EB99912A-A9FD-42DF-8BC5-876BE4959F48_zps9kcdjaic.jpg

family room:
 photo 45482064-2EF1-43C1-8741-FAC94DF31B5D_zps2x6hakfj.jpg

family room fireplace wall:
 photo 4B2FBB9B-99E6-48CE-92B0-1561E0D92E83_zpsmjykr9jl.jpg

kitchen -- window over sink :)
 photo 293FC636-6EE8-4B51-A54C-8BA01AB80173_zpsp8wkzey2.jpg

breakfast room:
 photo 42600BB6-F367-4FFF-AAC9-9E52401F28B6_zpskf5ii02p.jpg

formal living room:
 photo 9B0D4D28-C14F-4188-83F5-8BB6F38B56D9_zpsrx5bsqul.jpg

master bathroom:
 photo 0D1161E3-AA63-4E3F-8345-32CD7BFC7F63_zpsag5ypf4t.jpg

master bedroom:
 photo 391A1C25-D41B-40BB-B0EA-13481CA80CD0_zpsusdjm2ff.jpg

I know this just looks like a whole bunch o' sticks to most of you, but I can *totally* see the whole thing as I walk thru it! :)

o

Wow! That went up quickly. It seems like only a few days ago, it was all lumber on the ground. It looks amazing and it's so much fun to see progress

o

L - stone is beautiful. You better make a point of checking those burners often.

Sky - I also want grass for junior instead of the crusty crop of weeds we are growing.

Harring - We kept it simple in the shower. One bench, one shower head. As far as fixtures, I bought some discontinued and discounted Danze faucets that I love for our bathroom. For the guest bath, we are using a sink faucet that DH won in a golf tournament and just a standard Delta bathtub faucet.

Guitarman - Very nice ceiling.

Music - Of course they missed the scheduled delivery time. It wouldn't be normal to show up at the promised time...lol.

NWH - Other people's carelessness is so nerve racking. You are almost done. Hang in there.

Ladybrowncoat - I hope things are going better for you.

o

Dang Carson! You have a house! Almost. And there is no way I could miss Brenham and their Blue Bell ice cream factory. Yummy.

Amberm - I forgot to comment on your regulated regulations. You might need to go the garden side of this site to start planning out the yard.

o

Harringk -- re the master shower -- we have exactly what you are planning -- shower head, rain shower, and hand held. I like having them all, and when more than one person is in the shower, we often use them all at the same time - they each have separate valves. My husband was particular about the valves used -- wanted Moen -- so trim kits were not unreasonable.

o

JDez, I think we've got it under control. We don't have a lot of space to work with. And our zone limits our options. The back will be grass for the dog, with a few columnars against the neighbours fence. The other side of the back yard can have some shrubs (there's an existing lilac), but nothing too tall that would block the solar panels on the garage. At the side of the house, we can put in a tree or 2, and I might do some perennials there. The front will be mostly edible perennials. The gardens in my backyard now are a disaster due to the dog running through them and peeing on them, and the husband spraying lawn clippings on it with the mulching mower. Grass is the only thing that grows there. So I'm limiting the fancy stuff to the front yard at the new house.

Besides, the regulations are currently preventing even breaking ground. Trees are so far down the list.

o

RMS Austin, was there a particular reason for the moen values? Also, did you guys get the IO digital from Moen?

o

That's a shame about the doors Hobart.

hoosier- love your diagrams- they still managed to screw it up though, lol

great ceilings guitarman!

haring- we also have a fairly large (to me at least) shower and we wanted at least two heads. then we also decided to add the rainhead too. Here is a pic of what we have going on. Initially my thought was the two heads on opposite walls but the opposite wall is an exterior wall so we didn't want a risk of freezing pipe so we put everything on one wall and I'm happy with the look of it and I couldn't imagine it any other way. Chose a large format plain white tile to help offset the busy-ness of all the plumbing stuff. I like how it turned out:

[img] photo 0702141247b.jpg[/img]

Carson- I can see it too! Your view is so serene, I love it!

o

Love looking at all of your houses.

NWHobart...please tell me about your beautiful doors. Are they QS Oak?

o

We are supposed to have had a finish electrical inspection so we can get power turned on. I don't know if that happened today or not. Without power, we don't have any A/C, which here in the South tends to make people a little cranky.

We did get the gas lantern up. This pic is a little decieving, it is 31"H, 41" with the yoke.

o

Carson- Yay for rooms. I know you must be excited:-)

Jackson- what a stunning fixture against your blue porch ceiling-

Utililitarian stuff going on at the hacienda. Picked out grout colors today. The guys almost have all the Master ensuite done except for the heated floor which has all the South Texans scratching their heads:-)

Tomorrow we receive the last of our major appliances and we will head back to the Houston area house. But here are are few pics of our progress-
The necessary bedroom fans in the guest rooms.

This post was edited by musicgal on Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 3:52

o

Master bathroom wall tile going in- there will be two tiled niches going in here.

o

The first of three portico pendants. A little crooked, but they will fix that. That side door is the contractor freeway... always open.

This post was edited by musicgal on Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 0:47

o

This is the back porch from the lakeside- there is to be a deck halfway between the ground and the windows on this side, but I think we will do that after we are in.

o

One more showing the side of the house facing the lake. The drainage and runoff pipes are being connected and laid out in this part of the yard before fill dirt goes over.

o

Happy 4th of July! We made lots of progress this week...home is really starting to take shape. Stressed about the height of the roof on the right side but DH and builder talked talked me down from it and think it will b ok. We purposely kept it 1 story since the land drops off so much there. It looks good from the side and straight on but I think it looks low when u are at an angle where you can't see the peak of the roof. Hoping that once we add the stone and siding and bring in some fill for the front yard that it will b better.

Got my cabinet quote back yesterday and of course I am way over budget:-(. Builder is great and willing to increase my allowance as he feels it might have been a bit low to begin with but still need to slash it down by 10k:-(. Will start by switching some of them to full overlay instead of inset but am hoping it won't look too modern.

Also, anyone else have problems posting pics from iPad? The "choose file" button doesn't allow me to add anything so all my posts with pics need to b from my iPhone which is a pain! Any advice would b helpful!

Here are pics of progress from the week...
Front

o

Side

o

Back

o

happyvalleyhome- I think it will look a lot better to you after the fill and grass come in. The foundation seems to scream, "Look at me!" before you cover it with your facing material. The proportions are nice. How are you planning to landscape the lower slope?

o

Happy 4th everyone! Today will be filled with charcoal BBQ pork ribs and exterior stone work. Woot woot! Stay safe everyone.

I lost my post last night and didn't have the energy to retype it. Today is a new day!

Carson-what the what!!! I am off line for about 24 hours and you've got yourself a framed house??? That rocks! Woot woot! Great views. Let the good times roll. :D

Amber-it was Eco Lawns but after doing some reading they have very mixed reviews. Dh likes a manicured lawn so I think it may be a little to 'wild' for us. :D. I think we will end up with a variation of Kentucky blue grass. We would be in so much trouble if we had those right rules! Weeds are green though right!

Sky-yes. For sure most of my ponderings surround windows. Shoulda coulda woulda. It's so hard to see things on paper sometimes, or at least understand the full effect. For the most part though it's great. Shhh, don't tell but I still find myself looking and following house plans on GW-thinking hmmm, I just can't help myself! Overall I would say one thing I think about is if our back entry could have been switched up to be - gasp - a little smaller? I love it and it's great for the family. I just thinking down the road it's a lot of space there. And sometimes we discuss if we should have flip flopped a couple of the spaces like the pantry and the office and the powder room. It works just sometimes think I would have loved a window in the bathroom and it's on an inside wall, pantry is on the outside wall no window. Silly stuff like that. I actually did think about that at the time but we were already starting the build and too much to process at the time to figure it out if we were to change it. Rough in happens pretty early it seems. Definitely not something Iose sleep over.

Jackson-brick looks great!

Marjorie-when are you headed to MI? How is it going?

Harring-we stayed super basic in the master. It's a nice shower head-a rain head with a hand held but just one from the wall. Nothing else. I think dh is just thrilled that it's high enough that he doesn't have to do a back be a to get his head under it! Hehehe! The boys actually have the same one in their shower.

Hobart- :( so disappointing when your great materials are finished poorly.

Happyvalley-wow! Great progress! It's hard not sweat everything at that stage.

Illini-nice shower! I think your tile looks great-some accent but not busy or overpowering. Perfect! So you are what- T minus 13 days???

J-I dunno! I never left our electric burners on. So strange. I am on a good streak this week. ;).

So I like this rug. Feel like we need a little pazzaz. Dh wants plain solid (BORING) rugs. Sigh. Ignore the still I stained door. I need to get on that! Maybe if I leave the rug there long enough it will just become part of the house. ;)

o

We got a letter in the mail yesterday from the city. Someone complained about the weeds on our empty lot. We've been going over and mowing the boulevard. But we've ignored the area inside the construction fence. We had a week from the time of the letter (which took a week to get to us) to take care of it before facing fines. I'm so mad, and ready to sell the damn lot. We'd have dug a hole by now and the construction equipment would be taking care of the weeds if it weren't for the damn city regulations. And now we're facing fines for not digging a hole? And we're going through this so we can live next to complainers? Why bother?

So we spent a couple of hours there last night with the lawn mower on uneven, rocky ground. The weed whacker isn't an option because we don't have electricity yet. The mower is gas powered.

We celebrated our national birthday on Tuesday. Today happens to be the kick off to the Calgary Stampede, which is even more of a celebration. Free pancakes every day for the next 10 days! I am not feeling like celebrating this city right now, so I skipped the parade this morning.

o

amberm- that stinks having to spend the day like that. Your complainers should live next to OUR lot with its perennial stinky blue plastic outhouse that has been there for about a year:-)

Our contractor took on another gargantuan project just around the corner from us. I think he's out of his depth on this one... the bulkhead guy punctured the sewerage line that runs under the lake, and then another crew popped a water main which eroded the dirt under the street. The city is closing one lane, and the locals are not happy campers. They're sorta campers you know, 'cause the water and toilets don't work so good- but happy, no.

Our biggest complainers live across from us and rent a beautiful house for under $1800 a month. They knew there was a construction project in the works when they rented last August- It's a dead end street and the turning is tight so they park their cars in the u-shaped drive to prevent the guys from turning in there, which I understand. But when the guys park on our side the "lady" still yells at them with language that shocks even the tatooed good ole boys. All I can say, is if she ever wants this to finish up, she needs to ignore it the best she can and let them get their work done.

Um, she doesn't scare me though. Too far down the road (literally) for that now. Chin up Amberm. We are visiting your fair land in Oct,

o

HarringK: My husband's response: "Moen valves enjoy a good reputation with plumbers, and I have the professional background to appreciate the quality of the valve as I hold it in my hand. We chose valves with a particular set of features that appealed to us: integral shutoffs (so you can service the valve without turning the water in the entire house off), replaceable valve cartridge (which is also reversible, allowing you to mount the valve upside-down, which can be important in the crowded multi-valve situation you anticipate) and finally, the particular valve we chose (but not all Moen valves) can adjust the volume of water as well as the temperature.

As to the IO digital features -- we considered them, but ultimately decided that we wouldn't get (or appreciate) the benefits vs. the higher cost.

One thing to remember is that you need the right size supply and drain pipes to support all of the valves being open at once if that is your plan. If you don't you might not get the flow you want, or quick enough draining if everything is running at the same time.

A final thought from me -- as my husband indicated -- not all Moen valves are the same -- I discovered this when the plumber informed me that all the trim kits I had ordered (months in advance) were the wrong ones! Luckily Build.com was extremely accommodating -- took everything back -- the fact that I re-ordered everything to fit the valves (and it was more costly because of the valves chosen) probably helped.

Good Luck.

o

Our lot has finally been cleared. This coming week they will be digging the foundation.

FINALLY!!

This post was edited by zoe52 on Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 21:13

o

Lovely level lot Zoe!

Happy 4th everyone.

o

jackson -- your front porch is to die for! LOVE the ceiling, and LOVE the brick. What is that brick, BTW? I might just need to get that same brick for my house!!!! GORRRRR-GOUS!

o

Thanks Carson! It's antique brick, our brickyard just called it Old Delta. We didn't have many choices in a used brick; Old Chicago, Old Carolina, and Old Delta. This had the softer brown tones we were looking for.

o

Just bumping us back to the first page above the spam AND last year's July thread:-)

A lot of the folks here are in the process of preparing for their moves. Just wanted to share something nifty I found last night on Amazon- no, this is not more spam...

Amazon has a pantry for Prime members, of which I may be one of the primest since I 've purchased almost all of my small appliances, lights and fans from them. You have a long catalog of commonly used items like sugar, ketchup, soft drinks, spices, etc. to choose from, and you "fill" a pantry box that is shipped to your new house for a low flat rate. An absolutely great service for someone who does not live near a grocery store. They even have baby and pet items.

I filled a box last night and just left it in my "cart" for now. The plan is to move as few staples from this house as possible. The pantry is always the first area I address when we move and it is easy to forget small staples... and I will not be moving refrigerated things at all.

Just an aside- Last night I walked into a Lowe's and picked up about 19 of the switchplates the electrical contractor said he couldn't find. If all goes well this week, we should be on the road to a cooler interior.

o

bump

o

need to bump this past all the SPAM!

o

Zoe-congrats!

Amberm-you have got to be joking! No grace shown there huh. I can see why you are contemplating being done with the lot and the neighborhood. Good grief as if it's not been enough trouble already. That us awful. :(

Music-good find at the big box!

JDez-what's new???

I think my iPhone is tired of surfing as it gets funny more and more often. Sigh, can't trade it in until December. Hopefully we will have internet by then...my eyes are struggling with all this fine print as well.

o

This is our big week to get enough done to pass inspections and start moving in July 12. It didn't help I had to make a quick trip to urgent care yesterday. Mild bladder infection with possible kidney infection. Plus having very uncomfortable stomach spasms. I really don't have time for this.

Electricians come back today to hopefully fix all the switch "switches" in the house and the other things on the list. They installed electrical box, workshop lights, and 110 electricity in half of the pole barn on Thursday. They still need to install 220 for DH's saw and run electric to other half of barn. We only had two guys last week. Were supposed to have the larger crew today.

DH has been working off his punch list but keeps having "squirrel" moments and starts other projects that really could wait until after we moved in. He was supposed to install cabinet hardware yesterday and hang vanity mirrors. But instead, he installed baseboard in our garage!!!! Yes, he did! We still don't have any of our bathroom towel racks, TP holder, and hooks installed. I have a feeling DH will start installing a shelving unit in the garage instead of doing the other. I wish I could clone him. :-)

o

I just skimmed through the July 2013 Build thread. I can't believe I'm still here posting after a year. The July 2013 thread was the first one I posted. We built the pole barn first and didn't start the house until September. So so ready for build stage to be done. It will probably take us months and months to get the rest of the house and DH's workshop in shape, but we look forward to not having deadlines after we move in.

o

Autumn.4 - I love your rug. Totally understand your need to add some color. Ignore DH on that one. He will learn to live with it...lol.

Zoe - Congrats.

Hoosier - Hope you're feeling better soon. Nope, no time to be sick. My Dad just told me the other day that if we leave anything unfinished in the house, it will give us the green light to put it off forever and it will take years to get it done. So, go easy on DH and just consider his little moments as additions to the punch list.

Amberm - I really don't know how you can put up with all the bs. You must have nerves of steel.

What is up with all the SPAM? I like SPAM on a sandwich but not on GW. That was just a ridiculous amount of garbage.

I don't know what the [insert expletive] is going on at our house. All they have left to do is some trim on the metal roof, the metal carport, some interior trim and the fireplace. If they ever show up to do it. I'm thinking after they finish up the roof, I won't care if they ever come back because we can just add their little bit of trim work to our DIY list. We have scheduled the septic install and our lot clearing/dirt guy is also expected to return and finish clearing the back of the lot. I bought a stove this weekend and will buy the rest this week before the 4th of July sales are done. Ok, that's all I got. Have a great week everyone.

o

We are still waiting on our builder to finalize our plans, spec sheets and for us to sign the contract. It has been frustrating to say the least. We met with him on 5/22 made some minor changes to the plans the he screwed up to start with and he said he'd have finals to us in 1-2 weeks after we got them back to him. So we delivered them to him on 5/27 and he still hasn't finished them. Our lease is up the end of this month and we've been going back and forth with our lease company to go month to month with no increase in rate ($110/month). They finally agreed to that on Thursday. We went ahead and put in a rough application to the bank on thursday as they work with our builder all the time. So the ball is once again stalled in his court. I am leaving Friday to meet my brother for the first time ( he was given up for adoption at birth). I will be gone until the 17th. My hope was that the builder would take the necessary stuff to the bank today so that with any luch our appraisal would almost be done by the time I get back so we can get on to building soon! The appraisal can take 2 weeks the bank told us. But one good thing about this bank is 1 closing and we will be locked into our rate before we break ground :-) I left a voicemail on Thursday and texted the builder on Friday but no answer about anything. Going to call him today. If nothing else I may put a fire under his backside to get this stuff done.

Thanks for letting me rant!

o

Hoosierbred....hope you're feeling better soon!

As a been-there-done-that, I would suggest that you get as much done as possible prior to move in. Found out the hard way that the little things never get done after you move in (I'm still waiting for DH to tile my master shower....and it's been 8.5 years since we moved in!) LOL!!!

o

Hoosierbred....hope you're feeling better soon!

As a been-there-done-that, I would suggest that you get as much done as possible prior to move in. Found out the hard way that the little things never get done after you move in (I'm still waiting for DH to tile my master shower....and it's been 8.5 years since we moved in!) LOL!!!

o

Please tell me this can be fixed!!! DH and I attempted to install the transom for our front door as if FINALLY came in. I asked him to test fit it into the opening prior to installing the wether stripping... unbeknownst to us, there was a screw head in the frame that sat proud of the wood. When the glass rested on the screw head it shattered one pane of tempered glass on the transom. Ahhhh.... haven't we had enough door issues?!

I am hoping a glass company can reglaze the tempered glass pane and I don't have to order a whole new transom. Thoughts?

Transom glass to match the other glass on this door.

o

I'm back!!!

We listed our current house and it sold in 6 days. A little crazy around here. Read some of the posts but have a lot to catch up on.

Musicgal - what is your bathroom tile? I think we chose a similar one.

Carsonheim - Nice! When is your estimated move in date?

Question: anybody used or using glass panels with clips for stair railing? Any idea what kind of upgrade cost i will be looking at, switching wood spindles for glass panels? Another option would be steel railings, but might be even more expensive?

Here is what we have so far (sorry it's a little dark):

o

red lover - they are a Simpson 3 panel door in VG Fir stained to match our Kitchen Cabinetry.

o

Slow going for a while but rough in complete, and sheetrock now hung.

Great room:

Play room:

Central command:

o

Everyone's houses are looking so good!!

Jackson2348, LOVE that brick.

Musicgal- your house just looks like the most interesting place! I love the details- such an amazing home!

We finally have drywall! My son is fascinated with all the guys on stilts! We're hoping to start flooring next week! So happy things are finally moving along. It seemed to take forever to get past the inspections phase.

Our lease on our rental is up in 3 weeks, so we will be living in a travel camper on site until the house is done. It'll be a fun "adventure" but I sure can't wait to get in the house!

Here's a pic of the drywall in the living room-

o

NWHobart, I don't know how those are put together, but I'm sick for you whenever I see that pic.

o

northpolehome- the tile in the bathroom is Calacatta white porcelain 12x 24 laid in a brick pattern. We bought most small quantities from box stores- so this a Lowe's offering. I am well pleased with the look and the tactile feel. I feel very fortunate to be buying tile right now with the new printing technologies that have become available in the last few years. It all depends on the skill of the tile crew, but my bathroom wall looks a lot like honed marble. I have genuine honed marble for my kitchen backsplash so I have pieces to compare, and I am well pleased for the intended functionality of this wet area, as I am sure you are too!

AngelaZ- thank you for the kind words and may I say too, that you have some lovely detailing showing in your GreatRoom, with the beautiful exposed beams and centered fireplace. What a warm room this will be.

o

Kichler kitchen fixture went up yesterday:)

o

We got concrete yesterday. Walkway from garage to to front porch

photo IMG_4972_zps26d9ca89.jpg

photo IMG_4966_zpsd9e3be73.jpg

And back patio

photo IMG_4968_zps3573d86c.jpg

And finally got fixtures installed in "my" end of the shower

photo IMG_4953_zps1ebdf5c9.jpg

We passed our HVAC inspection but not electric. Electric will be fixed by tomorrow. Two things: electrician forgot to pull permit for 400 amp service in pole barn (which he fixed yesterday); and apparently you have to have a fully closed up light fixture in the master closet. We have a semi-flush mount light fixture in there that is a duplicate of the ceiling light in our master bathroom. We had a spare laundry room light so they are going to swap out the lights tomorrow. Not sure what I'll do with that other light fixture now.

Plumbers have a few things to do after gas is turned on today. They and DH still think the RO systems aren't hooked up correctly. We have stinky water and still sodium in it.

Today is bedroom carpet installation. Then we pick up all the cardboard out of the house to prep for post construction cleaning ladies coming early tomorrow.

Still so much to do on our end. DH got all the kitchen cabinet hardware installed yesterday and is working on the bathrooms today. I'd really like to get the mirrors installed so the cleaning ladies can clean them but we'll see how much time is left at end of day.

Back to work I go.

o

Oh, I don't think I shared that the electricians fixed all my switches Monday!

o

Yay, Hoosier. Switches that make sense and a path to the door. It's the little things in life that make me happy nowadays. Your shower set up is so luxurious looking- a spa at home. Beautiful.

o

Deleted duplicate, but an opportunity to post another pic-
Kitchen booth fixture-

This post was edited by musicgal on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 11:11

o

Staying brief peeps, cannot handle another lost post after typing on iPhone.

Hoosiers-yay! Cement looks great and awesome they fixed your switches. You will pass the next one, sounds simple. Hope you feel better soon! I am starting second round of steroids for poison ivy. Darn it all-so tired of scratching!!!

Caben-nice pics, you have been busy!

Hobart-I am speechless. That door is so gorgeous. So sad for you about the glass. Did you find a solution?

Angela-that right there is an adventure within an adventure! At least you will be super close by to see the progress. ;)

Stone is coming along. Lumber for the barn will be delivered next week and my desk for the office next week also. Woohoo. I can continue unpacking!

So did I mention we bought another table (used) that fits the space much better than golden oak? Here is a pic for those who are interested. ;)

o

Anybody here have an idea of how much it will cost me to add glass panels to my shower? Currently I only have a glass shower door, and all full height walls :/ Want to hopefully add more light to shower stall. Too late to add a window. Here's what I have:

o

Northpole -- my glass shower walls and door are around $2K. May be worth it for you to change it out. Considering that you'll be saving both labor and materials for the tiling on those two walls, it *may* come out about the same...

o

Hey all!! Thought I would do a quick update. Even though soooo much has been going on at my build, it seems like it is going sooooo slow! I will be patient…..I will be patient…. I WILL BE PATIENT!!

Electrical….. All the wires are pulled. They just need to put the boxes in.

Plumbing…. Pretty much all plumbed.

Started the shingles on the roof today!

Central Vac…. Everything installed as far as they can do before drywall and paint.

Today they came in and wired for the security system, intercom, tvs, cable, computer, and the speakers that are in select areas of the house.

I changed some of my plumbing fixtures yesterday. They were looking too traditional before and didn't seem to go with my transitional cabinets and hardware. Here are pics of the new faucets and also my cabinet hardware.

Everyone else seems to be moving right along! I'm hoping to have many pictures to share in the upcoming weeks. Drywall should be starting on Monday along with the outside of the house. Yay!!!

photo acf95161-014c-44ac-ba96-423c0b73f2f7.png

photo 69b436dc-3b73-4f99-b0c7-69dfb43968b3.png

photo f9f0931b-f561-44d0-9cda-092db357308a.jpg

photo SinkinKitchen.jpg

photo faucetforbathrooms.jpg

o

We finally broke ground, cleared the house pad, getting fill on there and took down the old barn. It's so exciting to see progress. Now the dirt is going to sit and compact and get happy!

o

We are close enough to done that we've started packing! Bathroom tile is complete, first floor tile nearly complete, counters and carpet next week, electricity (a/c!) is running and lights on are on, gas meter installation tomorrow, pool plaster finishes tomorrow, maybe a driveway at some point??? Move in date is July 26. For the record, slab was poured Feb 21.

Here are a few photos.

wood look tile throughout first floor. lt filthy and I still love it.
 photo IMG_4019_zps373b4478.jpg

bianco antico for the kitchen
 photo IMG_3980_zpsd643d767.jpg

my happy place! Two islands, 2 dishwashers, and a walk in pantry.
 photo IMG_3900_zps20e3354f.jpg

living room built-ins
 photo IMG_3893_zps5104de30.jpg

brick and tile around hot tub and shallow end of pool.

photo IMG_3812_zpsb91d865e.jpg

This post was edited by ellenandco on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 22:14

o

Everyone's homes are perfect!

I'm frustrated. Finally got a very preliminary estimate on home....builder says high 700s. (That's all he's told us.). Keep in mind, he's known all along 600 is our absolute max. And, we included him in planning all along specifically to keep us in range. I asked him before architect went to construction drawings to give me an honest opinion on home cost because we can't afford to pay architect for construction drawings on a home we can't build. Ugh. Please tell me we can get this price down....he says he's willing to work hard to help us get in budget, but ugh....I'm so tired of this stage. I want to dig a hole!

o

Carsonheim, $2k includes the door? Not sure we will get a credit for the tile and labor, that's from a different sub :/

Ellenandco, feb21- july26 is an amazing timeline! Congratulations.

Michelle1973, do you think you can reduce some square footage? That would be helpful in lowering the cost.

Here is the view from the dining area. Love it! When the windows go up though, I feel like it will be somehow obstructed by the lines :/

o

Hey all!! Thought I would do a quick update. Even though soooo much has been going on at my build, it seems like it is going sooooo slow! I will be patient…..I will be patient…. I WILL BE PATIENT!!

Electrical….. All the wires are pulled. They just need to put the boxes in.

Plumbing…. Pretty much all plumbed.

Started the shingles on the roof today!

Central Vac…. Everything installed as far as they can do before drywall and paint.

Today they came in and wired for the security system, intercom, tvs, cable, computer, and the speakers that are in select areas of the house.

I changed some of my plumbing fixtures yesterday. They were looking too traditional before and didn't seem to go with my transitional cabinets and hardware. Here are pics of the new faucets and also my cabinet hardware.

Everyone else seems to be moving right along! I'm hoping to have many pictures to share in the upcoming weeks. Drywall should be starting on Monday along with the outside of the house. Yay!!!

photo acf95161-014c-44ac-ba96-423c0b73f2f7.png

photo 69b436dc-3b73-4f99-b0c7-69dfb43968b3.png

photo f9f0931b-f561-44d0-9cda-092db357308a.jpg

photo SinkinKitchen.jpg

photo faucetforbathrooms.jpg

o

Everything is looking so good!!

We have the initial plumbing in and electric run- looks like they're going to put some finishing touches on the framing and build up the steps, then I guess we move on to drywall :)

o

Everyone's progress looks great!

ellenandco - LOVE those floors. I have been torn between and wood and the wood tile. If they look that great filthy, they would look great with my dogs hair on them. Can you tell me the brand and name? Also the spacer size you used?

o

Robynstamps, I love your hardware and faucets. They are beautiful!

Got some pics from the GC today. It is so hard not being there to see it in person but they are doing a great job keeping us in the loop with pictures. I was able to spot 2 framing mistakes while they are still easy to fix.

One month from today we will officially move to town and I can't wait!

o

LadyB - What about the exterior? Any pics?

o

Looks awesome Crafty!! I feel your pain. We lived in Oklahoma for the first 3 months of our build. You will love living closer. It's been so nice to run over anytime they have questions.

o

Michelle, my first question would be, do you need THIS builder? When I started this process, I found a whole lot of price ranges for different builders, and very little of it had to do with quality. So, if you've got an expensive builder, it might be worth looking for someone cheaper. I'd also be pissed at a guy who knew all along what your budget is and helped you design something 30% over. Is he going to start listening to you once you have a contract?

Shaving sq' seems to be everyone's first thought when cutting budgets. But then they go and do things like make the living room smaller, remove closets, etc. But if you're going to cut sq' in order to cut costs, cut expensive sq', not empty sq'. If every kid has a bathroom, maybe that's too much luxury for your budget.

Next, how much DIY can you do? It's probably not going to save you $200k, but I'm probably going to end up doing a lot of the wood finishing and tiling. I like doing it and I'm good at it and it costs a lot to have someone else do it.

Is it possible to add things later? We have room for a whole lot of built-ins. But realistically, we might be putting up some Ikea shelving when we move in.

And are finishes considered in this price range? There's a lot of drool worthy stuff we all dream of adding to our homes which cost a lot of money for very little benefit. For example, laminate counters can be just as practical as stone, for a fraction of the cost. Bathroom fixtures have a wide range of prices all based on prettiness and brand names. Do you need exotic hardwood? Or would wall-to-wall carpet suit your needs?

As for me, we finally have all our drawings to apply for our permits. And we've paid the vig to the insurance company to get our "warranty". Need to wait on their "approval", which might be next week?

But now that we have all the drawings, I can get all the quotes.

o

JDez - well, if you INSIST on a pic, ha ha....

Here's where we are so far... Siding should be up soon, and I'll post another pic.

Oh, and our tub, shower and tub/shower combo for the guest bath are in!!

o

Yay Lady B, you have shingles! For sure, post pics and lots of them...lol.

Amberm - Well said.

Michelle - I hope you can figure out a solution soon because I know you're ready to get started. Hang in there.

Crafty - Nice progress. Its nice of them to send you pics.

Robyn - Love your fixtures.

North pole - Awesome view!

Bridget - Congrats!! Waiting is the worst. Be patient and you will be framing before you know it.

Musicgal - Love the kitchen booth fixture.

Hoosier - Is your countdown down to hours yet or are you still counting in days? :-)

Nothing going on at our house today. I had to work. Ha.

o

welcome to this episode of "Hoarders: Building a House"

photo 0A4F69A5-5C0E-4212-A63F-151AA45B04BC_zpsfomnq5ad.jpg

photo D05FE0E6-E1D4-4677-8D79-54AA54AE7187_zps2hpq9gvb.jpg

o

Carson, do you own the house you're living in, or is it a rental while you build? I can just imagine neighbours telling your landlord about all that renovation material being brought in. :D

o

Michelle,
Your story resonates with me as we went though the exact same thing with a very similar budget and sq footage. We did 2 redesigns with our original builder (who we knew personally and also knew was a high end builder) both coming several 100k over the budget that we repeatedly brought up. We ended up walking away from the builder after 9 months of not being able to get things where we needed them even with giving up square footage and finishings. At that point we gave up and figured building was not in the cards for us. After a few months break as we really needed a mental recharge we contacted our Real Estate agent and had her show us some homes. After looking at a few homes and hearing what we wanted she recommended another smaller custom builder (whose work i had seen before and liked and assumed was also out of our budget) He was able to bring us in closer to our budget numbers as he did not have nearly the overhead of the larger builder. He has been a dream to work with...wish we had started with him and not wasted so much time. What i am trying to say here is that I think Ambern gives you some really good advice. A step back and looking to see if there are other options that might work at this point might be a good idea. Good luck...I feel your pain!

o

amber -- its a rental -- we sold our house last summer and were optimistic about getting in our new house by January.... this past January (eek!) We'll be lucky if we are in by the COMING january!

o

Michelle, I too feel your pain. We also went through a similar step and the above advice is good. Sometimes just taking a step back will give you a new perspective and a fresh outlook as you review your options. One thing I've noticed on the build is that it can be mentally draining, all the choices, decisions and costs. Sometimes, I just need to shut off for a day or two and then I'm mentally ready to look at it again.
Quick update on my plumbing dilemma. Thanks for all who chimed in on suggestions. We ended up going with all Hans-grohe, which got us to the point of valve orders. I still have time to order the actual fixtures and am still considering brush nickel which my husband prefers for the maintenance and chrome and polish nickle which are a tad cheaper. We will have hard water with a softener and whatever I have will have water spots. But at least I can take a little breather. We head up to the build site in about a week and then we will be up to our necks with decisions. I love it and hate it LOL.

BTW, NWHobart, your front door is amazing. did I see it was from Simpsons? The glass is perfect!

o

Michelle, I'm so sorry to hear that -- I remember your charming Craftsman-not-farmhouse plan was quite lovely. If your builder has been pricing that, hopefully he can get you in the ballpark and folks here also can offer suggestions to help. You might be able to save quite a bit on finishes, trim, cabinets etc. So maybe for now skip the shiplap ceiling and hunt for deals on appliances, leave the hardscaping (other than driveway) for later, leave the basement unfinished, etc.

o

Michelle, I tracked down your post about the elevation. Is that the plan the builder is quoting on? Or have you already tried trimming that down?

o

haha carsonheim..that's funny..i think we have you beat though...sadly!

o

Jkl our floors are marazzi American heritage in saddle. They also have darker and lighter tones available. We chose a dark brown grout which is not yet applied and the spacing is 1/16 I believe. Wood is not for me and our family of 7. I have happily lived in several tile floored homes and love how stressfree and carefree it is. If I lived in a cold climate I might feel differently about doing the whole lower level.

Carsonheim, we moved to TX from out of state and took out a 6mo apartment lease thinking it took 6 mo to build a house. HAHAHAHA. 6 mo in design, a move to a rental house, and then a long delay before building now here we are moving in just about 2 years to the day from purchasing the land.

This post was edited by ellenandco on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 22:14

o

Amber, yes that is the plan. Thoughts? Husband is pretty set on not reducing sq ft. He feels like we shouldn't have too...I feel like we could definitely reduce the upstairs....by about 300 feet.

This morning, I expressed my frustration to the builder (who was chosen for his economical building style, he is able to do very reasonable trim work including beautiful built-ins), and he was very understanding and quite apologetic. He told me and his office manager cleared their schedules today to work on our estimate. And we've been texting back and forth a bit about changes on finishes we could make, work we're willing to do ourselves, etc.

So, we're going to give him a few days to hopefully work some magic. Thanks for the support and feedback everyone. :)

o

Well, some of my thoughts on that plan are that it has a lot of bump outs and cuts. Squaring it off would help. The roof line is rather complicated, losing the dormers might help. The plumbing is all over the place. Moving it all close together would shave the cost of plumbing labour. I'd probably only put one bathroom upstairs. Skipping the basement would be a huge savings. Put the plumbing rough in so finishing it later doesn't cost as much. But I'm sure the builder would have better ideas and know what these changes will save.

o

Well carp, ellenandco and carson- y'all are making me feel like the roadrunner for a change, when I usually think we're moving along at tortoise pace. Carson, I don't quite have the situation that you do- my forgotten stuff is in a storage unit. But I do feel like I've been camping out for 2 years!

Today, I packed DVDs and listed stuff on Craigslist. Watched Downton Abbey and sold three barstools. I call that a productive day:-)

o

Oh, I know all about storage! I've got three units with everything I love and cherish in them. We decided to take our least favorite furniture items to the rental. The stuff that's taking over the living room and hallway are materials we've purchased to be used in the house. Since we have no truck, I can't cart some of that larger stuff to storage. Not that any of our three units have any space left in 'em!!!!

ellen- I think that'll be our timeframe as well. We bought the land about 14 months ago, and I expect to get in somewhere between November and January. What part of TX are you in?

o

Framing is done! Roof is done! Plumbing/HVAC next week, electric the week after.

Only setback so far is the basement egress windows were poured (concrete walls) too small for the windows we have to meet the egress code. Hoping to hear from my concrete company tomorrow to discuss the options. My preference would be to have them cut the window openings as needed, an inch or two on each side, and put the windows we have in. We'll see...

o

hola!

Long time no post.

We have dirt finally on our yard. Now I've been in the garden section trying to figure out how to get it evened out and seeded. Didn't realize it was such a big job on such a small lot.

We are also JUST getting central air next week. And hopefully finally closing on the house loan soon. We've been living in the house since April 1st!

o

kellithee! I think of you often - nearly every time I double and triple check those dumb doorknobs to make sure we aren't locking ourselves OUT....again! I really don't like that 'always feels unlocked' design! No worries - we won't have grass until next spring...yes NEXT spring. Makes no sense to do it now with a barn being built soon and sprinkling and blah blah blah.

northpole-that is some view. Ahhh, so relaxing. I am sure you will enjoy it once the crazy busy build is complete!

zg-oh no! That is a bummer - surely they can cut the concrete? We added one in the basement of our old home (already existing) and dh cut the concrete. Surely at this stage it shouldn't be a problem?

michelle-yep. Similar pains here but we were trying to beat winter so we rushed and probably shouldn't have. Designer was confident he was accurate in cost per square on his plans and we gave him our firm budget - firmed up the design and took it for bid - gasp. Way higher than we wanted - not even close - grrr. We did minor adjustments and forged ahead anyhow as it was more than we wanted but not more than we could afford if that makes sense. So now on the other side I am so glad we are finished and in but I often wonder what we would have ended up with if we'd have just slowed down! It's 2300 sf and some rooms no definitely not to be made smaller but sometimes I wonder if this or that could have been laid out more efficiently? Who knows at this point it's water under the bridge. I will say I know we saved significantly in sweat equity. If you and dh can do some things I definitely would.

carson-yeah we had boxes piled up to the ceiling too for months. When we could finally move them into the new house for install the rooms looked bare, haha!

ladyb-don't be shy - more pics more pics! I have been wondering what you have been up to!

So close to finishing stone - dh is off this weekend and yep you guessed it - storms forecasted all weekend long. Come on now mother nature, give me a break!

Barn lumber and trusses came in (did I already say that)? They are to be delivered next week. When it will be framed is anybody's guess. Dh's brother is super busy and he is going to help dh do it on the side. He also needs to come back and finish up some crown when he can squeeze that in also. I am ready for some of those things to finish up so I can take some inside pics...and get the seeded glass for my kitchen cabinet! It's still a 'reach in'. :)

Off to quick glance at Michelle's plan again. Happy Friday everyone.

edit: Michelle I remember now why you love it and want to keep it. It is a really nice plan - so much to love. I know that doesn't help but it's true. I really hope they can get you where you need to be.

This post was edited by Autumn.4 on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 12:58

o

All done. Closed back in mid May, just too busy to post pics. We're very pleased.

Edit...let me do this a different way...

1/3.

This post was edited by Bungalow14 on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 13:58

o

two of three

o

three of three
jeepers is this interface a nightmare

o

Autum4- Ilove the rug, of course it is similar to one I won :)

Robyn- I love those fixtures

Bungalow- It looks fantastic

They are workign on getting our stuff closed in, and we are supposed to meet with the electrication soon, the plumber is out of town next week.

My big sadness for the week, learning we were going to need to spend 13k on an engineered retaining wall. Only good news is the guy came down 2k when we offered to pay cash, so then it is now 11k, so thank goodness for coming down a little.

o

bungalo -- your house is sooooo pretty! Great job :)

and yes, this interface is rather nightmarish. Welcome to 1998 computing....

o

Autumn.4, talked to the concrete company today and they're planning to be out on Monday to fix it and clean the tar out of my sump pump as well. All is well!

Going to go out this evening to build a workbench from the scrap we have, should be fun :)

o

Zg- 2 thumbs up!

o

Bungalow-what color is your siding? We are starring at way too many samples of blue and trying to visualize the them on our house. Yours is very pretty.

o

So we met with the builder this morning to get written estimate. It was even higher than he thought. But, we spent quite a while working on reducing some numbers. We took out 13 windows (window quote was $60k!). We decided to leave the basement unfinished. Simplifying exterior trim. Not finishing garage. And a bunch of other stuff. We think the builder is very much in line with his pricing for this house, so don't feel like getting another quote would help much. If these reductions don't get us close enough, we'll look at reducing square footage. Any other tips without changing floor plan quite yet?

o

Jennie-you won a rug?!! How awesome is that!

Michelle-windows are so costly aren't they?. I was surprised at how much they were. I don't have anything to add but hope the number comes in for you. Do you have all of your finishes spelled out to be sure you aren't thinking one thing and he something different? We ended up delaying the finish of our basement too. We did have the garage drywalled though. Good luck! Pulling for ya.

Big news-we bought an old used needs a lot of work but runs tractor today. I guess we can use it to help put the yard in, haul wood and build the barn. Dh is thrilled to have a project while I am thinking another project???? No thanks better you than me, lol!

o

Ellen-your Bianco Antico looks a lot like my Alaska white so of course I LOVE IT! Ds saw it and said hey is that ours? Very similar. :)

o

I actually expected the windows to be higher than they were. We are doing custom color vinyl on both the inside and out, triple pane, euro style windows. All our quotes came in under $40k. That's only a 2200sq' house, though. And we only have 1 small west facing window. Everything on that side just looks at the neighbor's house anyway. We also limited our north windows for energy savings. But that's the side looking into our back yard, so we have more than the environmental consultant wanted. One thing you might consider for saving money is to put double paned windows on the south side and triple on the north. It'll let more solar heat in during the winter and save on the cost of the windows. I don't know how much it'll save, though.

We were at the lot today, cutting down and dosing more weeds. Vendors who have refused to quote for us are putting up advertising on our construction fencing!! Hey people, if you want work, QUOTE ON IT!

We put the fencing up last fall because people were turning the empty lot into a garbage dump. We found furniture in our bushes, aside from all the construction debris from other new houses in the area. Putting up the fencing slowed it down a bit, but now it's been so long without activity that people have started ignoring the fencing again.

I noticed the other day our engineering drawings showed our floor joists sitting on top of the concrete basement walls. That's the traditional way of doing things, but due to height restrictions, most new houses in our area are built with the joists perpendicular to the concrete walls. It makes the first floor closer to grade, which makes for a nice transition to outdoor spaces. And the architect has been saying all along that's how we're doing it. So I asked him, by voicemail, if the engineer's drawing was wrong. He answered me by email, yes, the engineer is wrong. Then I realized the architect drew it that way, and the engineer went off the architect's drawing. So both drawings need to be changed. Argh! Hopefully that can get done before the insurance company gets back to us. Otherwise that'll hold us up again.

o

Bungalow- just lovely:)

Autumn- my daughter would be so jealous of that tractor. They run a tractor on acreage up in central Texas when she and her huband visit his side of the family. She has a lot of fun with it.

Carson- 3 storage units! I see you have a new boxed Keurig- I have new Le Crueset that I am looking forward to using.

As of today, we have a lot less to move as the Craigslisting has paid off. Sold a buffet table and my entire bedroom set, so we are living out of boxes now. Visited our storage unit and got more boxes out to pack more DVDs. Got our pebble tile for the Master ensuite by freight today, and our power and gas utilities are turned on. AC units go in next week.

Selling things this week has been liberating in a way, and has gotten my mind off the squirrely situations at the new house. We really are down to the last finishing details on the items the builder should address. The long covered pool will be addressed this next week too, so I am super excited about that!

o

Granny, that's SW Bracing Blue on our Nichiha.
We went down to the wire between it and SW Storm Cloud, and Bracing won out.

So we painted our island Storm Cloud.
Win win.

o

I got kicked out of my office at work while they renovate. So, I have nowhere to work until Wednesday. The sadness is making me giddy...lol. Some guys were installing our carport today. I went over to watch and ended up sweeping every room and then cleaned all the windows and removed the stickers that I had not yet bothered to remove. This little project took all day. It was hot. The guys didn't finish until right at dusk and my phone couldn't get a good picture because it was too dark. Looks good though. Now we are ready for cabinets. So that's it.

o

Jdez-that's it??? That sounds like quite a bit and now you are ready for cabinets! Woot woot! Hallelujah for some extra time off too. Can't beat that!

Bungalow-pretty!

Music-the boys are excited about the tractor too. Oldest is excited to work on it with his dad and I think it will be a great bonding/learning time. :). Congrats on your craigslist success, freeing for sure and some cash in the pocket!

Amber-crossing fingers you can just get started already. I can't believe how difficult things are being made for you.

Life in the woods with an animal lover and an animal hunter....
Oldest using the pellet gun to shoot at things and youngest using his air soft to shoot near them to scare them away so the don't get shot by his brother. Good thing aim has not been perfected.

Yesterday's progress below. We need to finish the ledge on top and then the bottom row which requires thinset to adhere to poured concrete walls (or at least that is our plan).

o

I'd really like to just get started already, too. That post about the NPDES permit makes me feel a little better now. We've only been at this for a year.

o

Your houses are looking great!

JDez, I was just asking our builder about window stickers this week. Can you believe we aren't supposed to remove them until after final inspection? The builder told me they once had a project where a cleaning crew removed the window stickers by accident so they failed the final -- they had to go back to the window vendor, photocopy the manufacturer's info and stick it on each window and get the vendor to vouch for the fact that those were in fact a certain kind of window. I think our state/local requirements are just something else.

o

Thanks for the heads up, Oaktown. My city is such a pain (we have 4 different organizations doing inspections so far), I think I'll leave them up for at least 2 years, just in case.

o

Drove up to the site this morning, and what a difference after a few days away. Most of the lights and fans are up now, and there are knobs and pulls all over the place. Very few door holes left! Little things were done like the corner floodlights on the house under the eaves, garage lighting and the jackshaft openers installed. I will go back tomorrow and maybe get some painting done on the tray ceilings this week. I guess my work schedule will depend on whether the AC guy shows up early this week or not. Mid 90s now during the day.

This post was edited by musicgal on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 16:57

o

Just wanted to pop in and say "hi!". Getting all packed up, not much to do on that end until the last minute stuff. Anxiously awaiting the news about final inspection (I was there Friday morning while the inspector was there). As soon as that happens we can start moving things into the garage (stuff the movers won't touch like gas powered machinery, and other stuff it would be nice to just get out of the way before hand).

Did a bit of shopping over the weekend. Just a few items needed like new shower curtains, sheets for the new guest bed (nice to have an extra bedroom for guests so the kids won't be displaced from their rooms when visitors come). We aren't going to do everything at once. Want to take our time to find the just right rugs, sheets, bedding, etc. (kids using their same bedding anyways). We did get some new towels for the master bath at Costco. Perfect color and perfect price (11.99 for the bath sheet size). At that price it's a low risk choice. Washed them all up and ready to use!

Had a blind shopping appointment. Now that's going to be stressful. I went in wanting woven woods but they are not available in cordless so now looking at roller shades in the 'designer' fabrics that sort of mimic the look of the woven woods. Just for the great room areas. Probably do duettes or applause for the other rooms. Clean and unfussy and functional.

So I guess we are almost wrapped up but there is a punch list and some of the hardware and appliances are still not installed.

And OH YEAH, getting some hardscaping done hopefully this week. Due to our lot challenges (carved out a nice hole in the back yard to get the walkout basement we wanted so badly) we'll have some retaining walls and outcropping beds. A nice focal point outside of our big great room windows instead of looking at a steep slope of grass. i'm pretty excited about it- so hopefully it turns out well. Grass won't be seeded until mid August.

We are READY to get in there!

o

Illini - Sounds like you are pretty much in. Be sure to share some final pics because I love your house.

Musicgal - We are in the heat too. Working A/C at the house would be a true blessing indeed.

Oaktown - Our building inspector approved all of our windows on the last inspection so I figured the stickers could come off. I hope I didn't screw up.

Autumn - Love the stone. It looks so good with your siding and white trim. We have the same 4 over 1 windows. I don't know about you but we absolutely love ours. Anyway, nice job. And congrats on the tractor. It will really come in handy.

o

JDez -- I'd bet you're fine. I was just grousing about all the rules here, many of which are new so folks don't have a set method of addressing them.

amberm145 -- your city kind of sounds like ours. If we had submitted plans just a little bit earlier we wouldn't have needed a civil engineering report, but the planning dept had a policy change that set us back a few months and some $ and what did we get? Some drawings and a couple of bubble boxes in the ground . . .

On a more positive note, I really admire everyone who is working so hard on their homes! Many of you are so close!

o

And once people figure the rules out, it'll be time to change them again! :D If I don't laugh, I'll cry.

o

Bungalow14 - beautiful house!

Illinigirl - congratulations on the upcoming move. Can't wait to see the pics.

Michelle - hopefully things are getting better for you. The key word is prioritize. Always. It will feel as if you "need" everything, but you will be surprised as to how easy you can let go if things you think you need.

Framing and electrical walk through tomorrow! Hoping we don't get too much of a hit with the electrical overage.

o

We passed final inspection yesterday!!! We started the move-in over the weekend. Furniture delivered Saturday and yesterday. Unpacked a bunch of kitchen things, running through dishwasher and hand-washing them. Then trying to see how things will fit in what drawer or cabinet. Have done several loads of sheets and towels. Everything is working. Well, there was an issue of the gas dryer not drying, but after I noticed a light on the dryer saying to check dryer vent, DH found that the vent had been painted shut and even after prying it open, he noticed not much hot air coming out. Turns out there was a huge amount of insulation stuck inside! That was a fire waiting to happen!!! Whew, glad we got that solved.

Eventually we'll get towel racks, tp holders, vanity mirrors, and cabinet shelves installed. We hope to spend the night later this week!

o

Stone on the fireplace is complete and we finally hung the wine barrel ring light in the foyer. Also, the Walker Zanger leather tile is going in the mud room. I love it!

o

Hobart- beautiful floors and light! I know you are excited because the electricians just put up my orbs too! Very pretty look IMO.

Today's progress. Two steps forward, one step back. We have a leak somewhere. Better to find out now than later. But... after a week of tracking down my vanity with Plumbers Surplus and Averitt, this is what I found in the powder room today.

o

Say cheese, window cleaning guys...

o

More window cleaning from afar. That is a Levon helicopter fan, and the power is ON.

o

Orb light-

o

NWHobart, that fireplace is awesome. And Musicgal, I'm jealous of those windows and that view!

Hoosierbred, congratulations! That must feel great. Hopefully we're about 2 weeks behind you.

Shutters today!

o

Windows delivered today but the framers no-showed :( they will put them in tomorrow. We did have some rain so perhaps that was why...

o

I'm so in love with my stairs too!

o

Aaaaasand, the exterior so far...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here