Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are these pieces of wood called in my attic?

Posted by tlbean2004 (tlbean2004@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 12:12

In the pic, you can see the plank decking for the roof and then the rafters are of course under it. But under the rafters there are 2 pieces of 2x10 wood next to each other going horizontally accross and they are going through the pine tongue and groove sheathing and run all the way down the house i guess.
Does anyone know what they are called. This room that they are exposed in is a unfinished storage room attached to the house.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are these pieces of wood called in my attic?

In this pic you can see the front of the house and the unfinished storage room is infront of the SUV. It is part of the house, but can only be accessed from outside. The gate to the backyard is between the storage room and the main house. This was builtin 1960.

o
RE: What are these pieces of wood called in my attic?

You need to show more of the structure but since the 2x10's are supporting the ends of rafters they would be some form of beam. If short they would be called a header and if long and carrying a lot of load they might be called a girder. If they go outside they might be supporting the carport rafters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here