Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmwright

Rooflines/exterior

lmwright
9 years ago

Hi all,

I would love to have some feedback on the pictures posted below. What do you think of this exterior and these rooflines? The roof is more complicated than I had hoped but I do not have the expertise to understand how it might be simplified or even whether it needs to be. Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

The house is meant to be a casual Florida style. There are two children's bedrooms and a loft upstairs (the loft is in the middle) and the master is directly below. The long middle section downstairs contains the kitchen/dining room and with laundry in front and the section to the left (facing the front) is the family room/media room.

Does this roofline make sense? Do you find it appealing or too busy? Is there another way it might be configured? I know it is contributing significantly to the cost and I'm not sure this is where we really want to spend our money. Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shutterfly

Comments (7)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

That is going to be quite expensive to build and really do not see how you can change the roof lines without completely changing the house.

• lmwright
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for replying, millworkman. That is both good news and bad news, I suppose! We do really like the layout and appearance of the house from the ground, so I guess the appearance of the roof is necessary. I appreciate your taking the time to answer.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Not good....too complicated, and in FL the last thing I'd want is a complicated roof. Also see where water can be an issue as you have a wall up against the bottom of a roofline with no cricket.

Img removed

If I were building in FL, the first thing I'd do is get a nicely angled single roofline facing south and cover that puppy with solar panels to offset HVAC costs.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 0:05

• lmwright
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Annie, it is complicated, I know. We are also worried about the water issue. Do you mind telling me what a cricket is?

Many thanks.

This post was edited by snuggie on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 18:14

• lmwright
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, found out what a cricket is. Isn't Google a wonderful thing!

• musicgal
    9 years ago

bump

• lmwright
    Original Author
    9 years ago

AnnieDeighnaugh, my apologies. I didn't want to post the image online because I am big on privacy online, but I've just realized that with the new "edit post" feature, I have the opportunity to remove the pics anytime I like! Duh. Of course that is how you removed it. Thanks for being so gracious and not pointing out what a lame brain I am!