Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cost of metal roof vs. composite

Posted by madisonkd (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 11:45

Is the metal roofing typically a lot more in cost than composite? Every so often I see a metal roof on a smaller house, or farm house, that I know the value of the home is in the 150K range... I love the sound of rain on a metal roof, and I love the look of it too... just wondering on the cost difference between that and comp. shingles??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cost of metal roof vs. composite

In MY area... 2 to 3 times the cost of regular shingles.

o

Ours was about 150% more. Can't remember exactly, but definitely less than twice the cost of a composite roof. We were happily surprised.

o

We are getting a metal roof. There are different types. It is more but will not need to be replaced for a substantial amount of time compared to the architectural shingles. We called the metal roof manufacturer direct and got prices and then called for labor from my contractor. On our 2000ish sqft roof (with high rise in part) was a $4,000 difference in product, labor is about the same for either installation.

o

I covet a metal roof but our builder said that because of the many angles in our roofline to expect it to cost 2 to 3 times the cost of 30 year dimensional shingles. Of course, if we never have to replace it vs every 10 to 15 with asphalt, we'd still come out ahead. The price of oil is just going to increase over the years which makes asphalt roof replacement more expensive down the road.

o

We've been in our house for a year, and we did look into a metal roof. Specifically, the metal roofs with an air gap for added insulation...or so they said. It was an $18,000 upgrade. Being that we are in our late 60s, we decided to just get a good shingle roof.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here