Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Got plans; find a builder...will this be fun?

Posted by cpacker (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 11:43

Our architect is finishing up the plans for
our dream house to be built on a rural wooded
plot in Maryland. She'll have suggestions and
advice for me on how to select a builder, but
I figure it won't hurt to solicit some comment here.
I want a fixed-price contract -- I know that much,
but that's about all, at this point. In the
beginning I had hoped to find an architect who
would handle everything for a percentage of the
total project size, but I decided to work with local
talent instead. So I've discovered I had to deal with
a surveyor on my own, and with county government...
How much more of this?...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Got plans; find a builder...will this be fun?

Well because we bought land with water, power and driveway already in, I did all the checking up as well as submitted the BSA but my builder is going to handle the rest of the permitting from here on out. Is that your question? How much you will need to do once you hire a builder? I would imagine it would depend on your agreement with your builder. For example, our builder said we could do all the permit stuff, which might save some money but cost us in time and stress.

o

Around here, it's the surveyor who obtains the permits after
creating a site plan. I'm happy with this arrangement, figuring
that county officials would rather work with fellow professionals
than deal with an ignorant layman.

o

If your doing fixed price, I think it will be less fun unless your plans and specs are extremely thorough, you dont make many changes and you dont choose the lowest bidder.

o

I told my architect that I wanted to go through
however many design iterations it would take to arrive
at plans that would require no changes. Yes, the problem
then will be how to evaluate builders beyond just
looking at their quotes. In government software
projects, with which I'm familiar, proposals are
rated some percent on price and some percent on
the quality of the technical approach. For the latter,
I'm guessing that a personal interview might serve
as the equivalent for builders, who are probably more
at ease talking than writing.

o

A good builder might not be a good salesman. Look at their finished projects and talk to the owners and the architects. Be sure they will work well with your architect. Your architect should be assisting you with this process.

o

"Fun" it won't be. The selection stage is the stage which is most fun for most people---until it gets to be too much of a chore picking out stuff that you had no idea needed to be picked out. The construction phase can be "exciting" terrifying" or even "challenging", but "fun" isn't a word most people associate with handing over gobs of cash for a giant hole in the ground and which doesn't turn into a recognizable structure without more gobs of cash being handed over. Spending money on such a large scale involves a huge element of trust, and most people aren't that trusting, so it scares them to death. Unless you are a gazillionaire who has someone selected to supervise the build completely with all of the headaches included and all you have to do is to show up occasionally with your entourage for an in progress tour. That might be fun!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here