Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homeimprovementdiva_gw

Shell company

Has anyone ever used a company to build the shell of your home and then they helped you sub out the rest or you could sub out yourself and/or you could do some of the work? Was it worth it? Did you save any money that way? We have a company in the area that does that but not sure if it's worth it.

Comments (6)

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Essentially that's what we did, DH did the foundation, then we hired someone to frame the house and apply the Hardi Plank. Everything else DH did. Oh, we did hire someone to float the sheet rock and paint. Then of course we'll have someone do all the brick and cement, but all the rest DH completed. Yes, we saved tons of money. However, it took us 5 years because we paid for most of it as we're going. We'll be finished Jan/Feb of 09'.

If you're going to hire subs you'd better have a lot of time on your hands because you'll have to be on call to first, hire them, then watch to make sure they do the job correctly, on time, etc. If you're able to do a lot of the work yourself you'll still needs lots of time. There are ways to save money, but you will pay in other ways, so be prepared.

Like anything, if you hire this "shell company", make sure to check references and know exactly what materials they will be using. Do they just complete the framing or do they complete the foundation also?

• ellied
    15 years ago

We had a local builder frame the house and finish the outside (roof, siding, brick, porch railings and trim).
    DH hired out the furnace, well pump and installing the water softener and heater and the drywall company to tape and mud. We hung all the drywall ourselves. At this point it is painted and the floors installed. We are going to hang cabinets this week. While we wait for the counter tops to come we will work on doors and mouldings then finishing the plumbing. Hope this all goes well. It takes awhile to do it this way. Ours was started one year ago the 11th of this month.
    We did save money by doing the work ourselves but it does grind on the nerves a bit especially when you work all day at another job then spend the evenings and weekends working at the house.

• justmeinsd
    15 years ago

That is what we did in our last house. We did all the finish work ourself and subed the rest. It took us only 6 years to finish the house. Did we save money? Yes in the sense that we didn't have to put as much money out but it took a toll on our lives.

For the next house, we are doing almost all but some painting as turn-key.

• ajpl
    15 years ago

We hired a local builder to assist DH with getting our house roof tight. That was the foundation, for which this builder had the forms, framing, roof trusses, widows and doors, exterior insulation and cedar siding, and metal roof.

DH and my Dad did the rest. They hired a plumber to do the rough plumbing and a family friend did the electrical with them. We definitely saved money but it took a lot of time. DH and my Dad worked 4 days a week on the house plus DH in the evenings for the better part of a year. Not everyone can take the time from their paying job to do that and not being paid does cost money ;)

• meldy_nva
    15 years ago

I think the biggest problem with DIY -- next to acquiring the skill -- is that there are only one or two bodies doing the work. For instance [in my area], drywall crews are usually 4 to 6 guys, spending 8 to 10 hours a day hanging, mudding, finishing. Sure, they do the job in just a few days, but if you compute the actual *hours* they worked, then you are looking at a hundred (or more) hours actually used. This means that DIY, working 4 hours each evening, is going to take a couple months to complete the same job.

If you do consider DIY-finishing, do your homework in advance and find out just how many hours it would take a professional crew to do the same job. Multiply by the number of jobs and then double or treble the total to allow for the fact that you will not be skilled in many of those jobs and it's going to take you *much* longer than a pro. Then decide whether you really want to spend that much of your future hammering, mudding, tiling, painting, and/or plumbing. As many good folks here can tell you, DIY may save you money but it is NOT quick. You will be looking at several years instead of months from foundation to move-in.

• homeimprovementdiva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks everyone for you comments. The shell company does the framing,siding,windows,ext.doors,etc. they said the house will look complete from outside then you have to sub out the rest either thru them or on our own. they act as a consultant thru whole process to help with timelines,permits and stuff. they also offer GC services if needed. DH, my dad and uncle are going to do some of the work: flooring, siding, hanging doors, trim work, moulding. DH wanted to paint but realized it would be too much to take on. I'm going to meet with the company next week and get some references and go by a house they are doing to take a look at the quality so I guess I'll get a better idea of their services then.