Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

small details on blue prints question

bridget helm
10 years ago

We are trying to finalize our plans and our architect is getting annoyed with us I can tell. We paid him a flat fee, so at some point he doesn't want to make any more changes. He has to print out one final set of plans because the builder made a few changes for budget (no rear shutters and 6'8 doors upstairs rather than the taller ones). So I figured I'd tell him a few changes that we want too or should I not?

There is a little built in desk in the dormer area of one of the upstairs bedrooms and a little bookcase in the upstairs landing. I've decided I'd rather buy my own desk and bookcase to put in those spots. There is also a light switch that I'd prefer on a different wall and a door that I want to swing a different direction. Finally, we need to add some cable locations for a TV in the landing and in our bedroom. Is it necessary to ask him to make these changes? Or should I just talk to the subcontractors about them when the time comes? It's really hard to make EVERY decision ahead of time, but I know he's getting annoyed.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    10 years ago

get eveyrthing you can on the plans now. Its easier to deal with changes now prior to final bids/numbers. These changes you talk about now would be change order adds later, so they are not competitively bid. Clients constantly changing their minds is annoying, so I get where he is coming from. To a certain point we would approach it as an add to scope services. But the things you described may not be quite there, depending of course how many changes you have made already. Also if the changes are per your decision change or he/she was not right to begin with makes a difference. If we are directed one way, and they later change it, depending on the change, we sometimes would charge for it.

All you can do is ask at this point. Its better to get all changes in at once, instead of them trickling in. That way the drawings are exported once. now THAT is annoying ;)

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

To be fair, why don't you offer to pay for his time and expense for making your desired changes?

If these are "changes you want", you should be willing to pay for them don't you think?

Good luck on your project!

• dadereni
    10 years ago

You don't always need to print out a whole set for minor changes. What's more important is that the builder makes sure subs aren't working off of old drawings and to communicate changes to them. I agree with lz and vc about how to approach the architect. Maybe it makes sense to agree on a modest fee, flat or time&materials, to handle some of the construction phase changes and look in at key moments to make sure you're getting what's in the documents. Sounds like you have a GC in which case you shouldn't give direction to his subcontractors.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks everyone. I offered to pay him for his time if he felt we should.

the builder did say that we could do a walk through with the subs before hanging doors to make sure all swing in the right direction as well as a walk through with the electrician before wiring. so that's what I meant by talking with the subs.

but i really want to have everything as accurate as possible on the plans. the cable additions were sort of oversight on everyone's part as there were none anywhere on the plans. since there were none, I wondered if the architect leaves them out on purpose assuming that the homeowner walks through with the electrician.

either way, i asked him to add and change these last final things and offered to pay for his time. the peace of mind is worth it.

it turns out he was on vacation. i thought he was avoiding me, but he was really out of town. so maybe he's not as annoyed as i thought after all.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Data outlets get changed by owners so often it is usually pointless to show them on the drawings. Just be sure the builder knows they are in the contract.