Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melaska

Slippery stairs - how do you deal? Plus progress pic

melaska
11 years ago

We are in framing right now - finally! Our lot looks like a lumber yard for sure.

After our very harsh Alaska winter & loads of snow we are having a wet & cool summer. This photo was taken on a rare sunny day. That mountain in back is usually a lush green! But, we have been enjoying an unusually warm (and by that I mean in the high 60's - but for some reason, it 'feels' hotter...I sweat on my walks!) I would die down states from all that heat!

Anyway...all that to ask about stair treads.

I had a pretty bad stair fall 3 years ago (the entire length) and ever since then, I'm so careful.

I would love hardwood flooring but I know it can be slippery on stairs. How do you deal with making them safer? I don't want carpet.

Thanks! :)

Comments (17)

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

All our hardwood floors, including the stairs, are finished with Bona Traffic Anti-Slip. It really is anti-slip; you cannot even slide across the floor with socks on.

• gaonmymind
    11 years ago

Never heard of the Bona product. Is it something you apply yourself or does the builder have to do it?

• melaska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, dekeoboe...never heard of it either. Does it work only on wood floors? Did you apply it yourselves? Do you remember how much it cost?

Thanks!

• Xclusive
    11 years ago

Posted by dekeoboe (My Page) on Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 13:39

All our hardwood floors, including the stairs, are finished with Bona Traffic Anti-Slip. It really is anti-slip; you cannot even slide across the floor with socks on.

Wish I would have known about this earlier. Slippery stairs was one of the reasons I didn't do hardwood stairs (did end caps and carpet) and my daughter like to slide down them as well..lol

• melaska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Xclusive - it was carpeted stairs I fell down. We were staying at a friend's apartment and I'm certain their stair treads were not up to code...they were very shallow.

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

The floors were all site finished and we specified the Bona Traffic Anti-slip because I did not want slippery floors where older dogs would have a problem getting up. I don't remember how much it cost, the price was included in with the floor install.

• User
    11 years ago

It looks like the product is about $105/gallon, and each gallon can finish 350-400 sq ft. (This is just for the product, I'm sure a builder would charge extra for labor since they are unfamiliar with the product.)

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Glad to see this post. Oldest dd is 30 wks pregnant and fell down 10 stairs on Wednesday and spent the day and night in the hospital. Scared me to death.

Sounds like a great product.

• melaska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

red lover...oh, dear! I hope & pray all is well...keep us posted. When I fell, we were in Anchorage for our 27-year old son's funeral - being stressed plus an injury - it was hard.

Is your daughter in the clear? I know that must've been awful for you all to go through.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Melaska--she is fine and so is the baby.

So sorry about your son. Too young.

• melaska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am so glad she & the baby is fine.

Thank you.

• DreamHomeDreamer
    11 years ago

dekeoboe: With the Bona anti-slip, what does the finish look like? Do the floors look like any other normal finished floors? Does the finish make it hard to mop the floors or clean them?

• melaska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am so glad she & the baby is fine.

Thank you.

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

DreamHomeDreamer - The finish is a satin finish and I think it looks like a normal finish. I haven't noticed a difference when cleaning the floors - I vacuum and use a steam mop. It is not a rough finish like on anti-slip tile.

• melaska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Does it work only on hardwood floors?

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

Yes, it is a hardwood finish. You can also get tiles that are anti-slip though. What kind of flooring were you thinking about?

• melaska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maybe manufactured wood? The budget is squeaking so was looking for alternatives. I can't do tile because of back & hip problems. Thanks for that info.