Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HomeAdvisor . com?

Posted by slangner (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 10:54

Hi all,

I have been lurking for a while and have posted a couple of questions. We are just starting the build process (just finished the rough grade). I am acting as the GC, and it is already proving to be a challenging task, but I'm hoping to afford some upgrades with the money that I am saving... We'll see.

Has anyone used HomeAdvisor . com to find subcontractors? I'm located north of Houston and construction is booming. I've spent many hours driving by new construction and talking to the trades to get contact information, but for bid purposes, I'd like to find 4-6 subs for each component of the build.

Please let me know if you've used the website above to find reputable subs.

Also, if you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HomeAdvisor . com?

It's just ServiceMaster with a changed name. They charge contractors for the leads and aren't very discriminating or careful about matching up the names wth the right trade. Nor do they really vet anyone beyond their bank balance to pay for the leads. I have a friend who's an electrician and he's been given ''leads'' for plumbing and landscaping----and charged for them. Consequently, he doesn't give much credence to any customers that contact him through them.

o

I made the mistake of signing up with service master one time. Talk about shady and deceptive! All those sites seem very similar.

o

We actually found our contractor on HomeAdvisor, but we got really lucky! He is great, but shortly after he dropped them because he said they were terrible. I much prefer recommendations and even Angie's List is better than nothing. Find one sub you like a lot and ask for his recommendations, then go from there. If you have a common builder's Alliance in town, that is a great place to start.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here