Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using stud wall space ?'s

Posted by melaska (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 10:36

Hi - we are plugging right along with our build - got our first wall up the other day. Anyway...I have a couple questions regarding the use of stud wall space.

We're only utilizing the walls inside where needed since we live in a very cold winter climate in Alaska.

How do you indicate the space in a floor plan?

Some of the interior walls will be 8", some 6". The spaces I'd like would include the bathroom, niches for fire extinguishers, etc.

What spaces do you recommend?

Would love to see photos of what you did with your stud wall space.

What kind of doors did you use? I've seen art work used which is a very cool idea.

Thanks! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using stud wall space ?'s

I've always thought it would be great to have toilet paper storage in the bathroom wall within reach of the toilet.

o

o

dBrad...I like that idea, too.

Laura - thanks for all those pics! I've seen some of them on Houzz. I LOVE the control center idea! I'm going to definitely use that idea - I already have the perfect spot for it.

I'm limited to only inside walls since we don't want to penetrate any outer walls.

Here are some clever ideas I found on Houzz.

Love this TV idea!

Open:
Photobucket

Closing:
Photobucket

Clever use of hiding media equipment:

Closed:
Photobucket

Open:
Photobucket

o

Really love some of these ideas. It seems that we can always use more storage and using areas between walls can add significantly.

In our previous house, the builder did a pretty good job overall in utilizing space well, but one of the things that always made me a little sad was that in the master bath, there wasn't a closet and there was a small area that could have made a narrow one wide enough for folded towels to go in and a few toiletries.

So, when building, always look at the floor plans to see if there is any wasted space that can make even a small storage area.

o

andreak...you can still do it after the house is done.

I'll post a link below for instructions.

Build a wall niche between studs:
http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Projects/Home-Organization/Basement-Storage/build-a-wall-niche/View-All#

Here's one on building into a bathroom wall:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0,,20264710_20594415,00.html#

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Build Storage Between Stud Walls

o

Here's a post from the bath forum that you might like...

Here is a link that might be useful: Joannemb bath

o

Thanks, Annie - that's a really great example :)

o

Here's an example with instructions:
Space-Saving STUVA Storage Closet and Shelf Inset Into Wall  including instructions, http://www.ikeahackers.net/2011/05/space-saving-stuva-storage-closet-and.html#

Here is a link that might be useful: Space-Saving STUVA Storage Closet and Shelf Inset Into Wall

o

Spaces under roof eaves and stairs can be used but the traditional use of stud spaces in interior partition walls is to provide sound reduction.

o

Our powder room is going to have a sliding barn door, so I am thinking about making a few recessed spaces in the outer wall to hang photos or artwork, while still allowing the door to slide open. If I don't like them, I can always fill them in.

o

Thanks, Renovator...I found a sound control design & materials article which I'll post below. We plan to do the staggered double stud walls.

flgargoyle - that sounds like a great idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sound control design & materials

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here