Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dutty_gw

Freaking Out after Signing Contract

dutty
11 years ago

Holy Cow... I'm freaking. Did anyone else feel absolutely paralyzed with fear after signing the contract with their builder? Holy SH*T!! This has been a two year battle of fighting the Department of Environmental Protection, the worst rainy season in history, and dealing with the architect and now that everything is finally lined up, I'm second guessing everything! Is the economy too bad to build? What if DH loses his job? What if one of us gets sick... what if... what if...what if...

I keep telling myself that you can't plan a life if you always assume the absolute worst scenario possible but yet it's all that is in my head.

Did anyone else feel freaked out?

Comments (6)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Have never built a home but I could very well imagine it being a very harrowing and nerve wracking experience.

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    11 years ago

YES, YES, YES!!! I felt the same way - like a huge weight was on my shoulders and had the same thoughts - what if we lose a job, what if US economy really tanks even worse....

However, we feel like we built at a great time - our interest rate is awesome and now that we are in our home we are so happy we took the plunge. It was a stressful 11 months of finding the lot and deciding "do we or don't we???" and then plunging in and building.

All I can say is its probably normal to have jitters - especially if you are conservative like we are. We also had the stress of building while trying to sell our home. That all worked out great though - God worked it all out so we sold & moved from one house to the other. (I have a home based business, so it was critical to have a place to work!)

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    11 years ago

Perfectly normal... and you can tell yourself that you're doing your part to help keep the economy pumping along!

Lots of people will tell you to stop worrying because worrying doesn't do a bit of good. Well, I beg to differ. My experience is that NONE of the things I worry about ever actually happen - so I'm convinced that worrying must be what keeps them from happening! LOL!

• dutty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! I needed to hear I wasn't the only one.

I'm a worry-wart by nature and part of me wants to run to TN, buy 100 acres, and live like a doomsday prepper! ;-) We are putting A LOT into this house and we are stretching a bit to do so but we really only want to do this once...seriously. We know the bones of the house can't change, so we really tried to build a house big enough for a home full of teenagers, and their cousins, and my 11 siblings, etc. etc. We have such a good deal with the bank we chose and we LOVE our builder. We saved cash from the sale of our house in 2006 and have been renting for 6 years. Part of me says "use the cash and buy a cheap home outright and live with no debt." The other part of me says, "if the bank is willing to loan us the money in this economy, they have confidence. And, real estate is probably a pretty good hedge against inflation..." And, amazingly our appraisal came back around 40% higher than the cost to build. So I should feel alright but somehow I don't.

Blech... I still feel freaked but a little better knowing I'm not the only one.

• heartspeace
    11 years ago

>
    New American Standard Bible
    26"Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they? 27"And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life? 28"And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin, 29yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these. 30"But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith! 31"Do not worry then, saying, �What will we eat?� or �What will we drink?� or �What will we wear for clothing?� 32"For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
    ������34"So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

'Trust in God with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding.'

hp

• dutty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

HP - thank you for the reminder... it came at such an appropriate time. :)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!