Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior Color

Posted by wu343 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 10:06

We have reached a point in our build that we need to make a decision on shingle color and I think we need to know the siding color first. We will be using LP SmartSide siding, trim, and shakes on the house and would like to go for a neutral or earth tone colors on the house. The window casing colors are a sandstone.

We are trying to decide between brown or black/grey shingles and are having trouble. I was leaning towards brown, but don't want to be limited when selecting the siding colors.

Does anyone have any tips for selecting these colors? Sample pictures would help. I am having trouble finding what were are looking for on Houzz.com.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior Color

You can go to the certainteed web site and play with exterior colors and finishes there.

In general, warm tones lean brown while cool tones lean gray.

o

I also like the Owens Corning visualizer to help with seeing different exterior house colors together. The only problem was some of the Ben Moore colors on the Owens site is some of the colors are no longer available.

I also found a site by an interior designer named Barbara Meglis that was very helpful. The address for this site is yourcolorcoach.wordpress.com

Good luck with your decisions!

Carol

o

We are leaning towards GAF's timberline slate siding. It looks like this would go with just about any siding color. Anyone else use this color? Pictures? I could not find many pictures of it out on the web.

Here is a link that might be useful: GAF Shingles

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here