Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Minimum width of vanity cabinet for plumbing/sink to fit?

Posted by bmh4796 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 10:05

Hi. We are renovating an older house, but you guys always have the answers when it comes to measurements, so I'm asking here.

Can a cabinet that a sink is dropped into be any less than 24" wide or is 24" the minimum? The sink I'll go with is 15 3/4" round from rim to rim - circle/not oval. So how wide does the cabinet that it's dropped into have to be? I want to squeeze some drawers into the vanity, so I want the cabinet width to be at a minimum.

We tore out all of the cabs in the house. I just got the cabinet plans and am checking them over. The hall/kid bath will have a 5'6" wide vanity from wall to wall with 2 small sinks. (The toilet and tub/shower are in a separate area with a door.) There's a large closet in the wall opposite the vanity, but I've noticed that the kids tend to like to use drawers in the vanity. They never really use closet space in bathrooms for their everyday/morning routine stuff - at least mine don't

We have 4 kids, so I'm trying to make the most of the space in there. Their ages are 12,11, 6, and 2,5, so the 6 and 2.5 year old won't be "primping" in there for a while.

So with the 5'6" vanity I'd like to get 2 "sets" of small drawers if possible. In order to do this I need to get the cabinets beneath the sinks as small as possible to free up space for drawers.

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Minimum width of vanity cabinet for plumbing/sink to fit?

I'd suggest doing a trough sink with 2 faucets rather than 2 separate sinks if storage is the priority. An 18" sink base (if available) would work if it's a drop in or an integral mount (corian type). Undermount would need 21". Both would need exacting plumbing placement to work.

o
RE: Minimum width of vanity cabinet for plumbing/sink to fit?

Round sinks take up more counter depth. If you are designing the cabinets you must get the sink and faucet manuf Installation sheets and the cabinet details and determine the depth needed. It is always better to make the cabinet larger.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here