Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do stairs squeak if you do built in storage?

Posted by OntarioMom (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 9:47

Hi GW,

We want to do some built in storage under our basement stairs as per the link below (first two pictures). One of the assistant framers (boss framer is away) said if we framed for the storage it could increase the risk of having squeaking basement stairs (stairs will be carpeted). Did anyone else do built in storage under their stairs, and if so do you stairs squeak? If not, do you know how they framed under the stairs to avoid squeaking? Any builders out there have experience with this issue?

TIA!

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: under stair storage

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do stairs squeak if you do built in storage?

I'm no expert by any means but it seems like the stairs would have to be built somewhat similar to open stairs for the construction to be solid and then the enclosed parts are not structural.

o

Most of the squeaks I see (and repair) are from poorly built stairs, no matter how they are supported.

o

Hi Lyfia and brickeyee,

Thanks for your ideas. Yes, if the stairs were built similar to open stairs that would give us lots of under stair options. I believe the stairs are well built.

Can anyone elaborate as to how to best support these stairs, and still make use of under the stair storage? Thanks.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here