Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charliedawg_gw

I need help dressing up my breakfast bar. (photos)

charliedawg
16 years ago

Good mornin' everybody. Can you believe it? I'm not complaining in this thread. I've been such a whiney butt lately, haven't I? Now to the fun stuff.

I feel like our breakfast bar is missing something but I can't quite put my finger on it. This can be fixed so I'm not stressing :)

Here are some photos from the breakfast area into the kitchen, the problem area is under the bar.

This is from the kitchen out into GR and Breakfast area.

This is just to show a closeup

I'd love to see all of your suggestions and photos if you have any.

Thanks!

Comments (27)

• nycefarm_gw
    16 years ago

Maybe add some raised panels to match your cabinet doors?

We actually put cabinets under there...

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

Like nycefarm said. But, really, yours are so dark that it's not going to show that much. Esp. once you get a bunch of stools placed there.

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

Ours has panels to match our cabinets, but really, I agree with Pinktoes, once barstools are there, you won't really see it anyway. I'd wait to see what you think once you have the stools.

• wearybuilder
    16 years ago

Charliedawg...strange deja vu hit me while looking at your pics! Our kitchen and breakfast area are very similar to yours (not exact, but so similar!). I'm pretty sure we have different builders though....my GC is a guy and I think I've read that yours is a gal.

Love your ceiling finish! What is it? Our GC is wanting to use smooth walls and light sand on ceiling. I don't think that is enough texture. My main concern is that I don't want tape lines to show.

And, I agree with the other posters....get the barstools in and see what you think then.

Happy building!

• ccoombs1
    16 years ago

Is there attic space above it? If so....what about adding 3 small pendant lights? It might just need a vase of flowers to dress it up though. You will be surprised how much nicer it looks with your own personal touches added.

• dallasbill
    16 years ago

RE: "I feel like our breakfast bar is missing something but I can't quite put my finger on it. "

C,mon, people... it's plain as day... it's missing breakfast!

• raam
    16 years ago

Looks good to me, I wouldn't touch a thing.
    Once you have all your appliences and gadgets in, it will add color to your room.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

I think it looks fine too Charlie. We did add the raised panels to ours but wonder if it was worth the extra upcharge since the barstools we got are pretty wide and cover most of it up.

So everything is back to normal with your GC? Good to see some house pics, everything is looking wonderful!

Lindy

• amyks
    16 years ago

Hey, charliedawg, looks like things are proceeding nicely! I love the color, that room behind the kitchen is gorgeous too. I agree with most of the above, once you get your barstools in there you won't see it, or at least won't pay attention to it. You could put some decorative corbels (? I think that's what they are called, to hold up the counter) but that might interfere in placing your barstools. Looks great!

Amy

• charliedawg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think I'm just going to leave it alone like you all said. I thought about those corbel?thingies but Amy you bring up a good point. They might get in my way so I'll just wait and see.

Lindy - Everything is going forward w/ my GC she got back in town and got everything back on track (knock on wood) There is a real tight schedule to get the drywall, trim and paint fixed. She was just as unhappy with it as we were.

ccoombs - I really wanted pendants over the bar. The GC, electrician and framer talked me out of them. They said the would be in the way and I would always be looking around them to see people in the breakfast area and great room. I kind of regret not putting them in anyway but I'll live.

Weary - we were given 3 choices for the ceiling...smooth and painted, popcorn texture or standard texture. This one is what our GC considered standard. I really like the contrast and with the problems we had w/ the drywall I'm really glad we went with this finish because it hides all inperfections.

Dallasbill - What would I do without you? Thanks so much for the suggestion of putting breakfast there...I never would have thought of that. LOL

• dixiedoodle
    16 years ago

charliedawg- I think it looks fine the way it is! My vote would be for small corbels if you think it looks unfinished. Once you place the barstools, I think it will look complete. We chose to do raised panels under our island which is 1) a waste of money b/c you won't be able to see them behind the bar stools, and 2) a worry b/c I'm afraid they'll just get scuffed! For some reason, I'm okay with the regular cabinetry being scuffed by feet but not the raised panels...hmmm??!

• emmachas_gw Shaffer
    16 years ago

Charlie, I think it looks great too! Wouldn't waste money on raised panels that no one will see anyway.
    In the narrow wooden section that rises to support the breakfast bar we added a very long, narrow drawer. It's useful in storing longer kitchen and barbecue utensils. But, in my case, it stores the grandkid's marshmallow roasting forks! But that's useful too.

• lagrant
    16 years ago

Does your cabinet company offer beadboard stained to match as a backing? Many do at a significantly lower cost than panels. It provides an alternative finished look.

• badin
    16 years ago

First, I love your cabinets, especially the rope trim around the crown. How pretty!

As for corbels, the ones we had at our last house looked nice but certainly got in the way. They were chunky, maybe 3.5 - 4 in. wide. As a result, I had to eliminate one bar stool. I agree with the others; once your barstools are in place I think you'll be happy.

• kileyray
    16 years ago

Beautiful cabinets! What kind of counter top do you have? I like it.

• chisue
    16 years ago

You were right about the pendants and not just for "looks". I have the same problem. We have to turn the cans up really high so DH can read the paper at the breakfast bar whereas if we had just a couple of pendants...we could just turn those on. As for your having to look around pendants, that's silly. They don't have to be big and they don't have to hang down in your line of vision. Anything that near, your eye just looks past it anyway.

Will you have enough task lighting over your sink? Ceiling cans are just ambient light, not task light. Not sure why you have a ceiling fixture in the kitchen when you have cans?? Got undercabinet lights?

• charliedawg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Kiley, the counter top is a laminate called Labradore Granite. We got it form Armstrong Cabinets. It really goes well with just about any paint color.

Chisue, my last kitchen was so dark that I hated working in it. I wanted the kitchen light just to make it ultra bright. The ceiling is only 8 ft so the cans light up the counters really well. I'm hoping this lighting plan makes cooking in the kitchen enjoyable again. :)

• chisue
    16 years ago

I LOVE my undercabinet lights. I seldom use my recessed lights because the undercabinet ones put the light just where I want it. Mine are Juno track lights so I can add or subtract bulbs as needed. I've been amazed that I have replaced only about half the bulbs and we've been in the house six years. If you didn't wire for this, you can always get "stick-ups".

Now, I'm not going so far as to say the lighting has improved my cooking... I've deteriorated into a "defrost/nuke" kind of cook since we became empty-nesters.

• tragusa3
    16 years ago

Charliedawg! Alright, some fun stuff!

I agree with your first thoughts that it needs a little something.

I think corbels would be a good addition. I also really like pendent lights, they won't block your view. Our's don't.

I agree that raised panel in that spot is likely a waste.

I also agree that the kitchen won't really come to "life" until you add all your personal stuff.

Here's a shot of our kitchen which includes corbels and pendents.

Just like our properties, our kitchens are similar.

Glad things are back on track. You can't stop writing after you move in. We want to hear all about life in the house.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• charliedawg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I really do love the pendant lights. I wish I would not have let them talk me out of them. It's too late for now to add them. The recessed lights are in and the electrical inspection is complete. It would be really easy to wire under cabinet lights. I will look into that if I need them.

Tragusa, it really is freaky how similar our tastes and styles are. I remember seeing your move-in photos and hoping my house will turn out as nice as yours.

I lack the ability to add personal touches. My brain is missing the decorating gene. So I hope my house doesn't turn out cold. Yours is so warm and inviting so I might steal my inspiration from you.

• okwriter
    16 years ago

Ours is bigger than a breakfast bar - it "separates" our kitchen/dining/living room areas. We used log siding on ours, which obviously isn't for everyone but it fits with our rustic, log-style home. (Please look beyond the people and stuff...) :-)

{{gwi:1465272}}

• zion.power
    16 years ago

Wow!! its looking very beautiful and tidy. Alot of people gave their ideas. I was having 3-4 ideas but already discussed. I'll find out more soon. Just relax u'll be fine.

• bebetokids
    16 years ago

charliedawg-My brain is also missing the decorating gene-I usually copy my sister! But head on over to the home decorating forum-those people (some of the same that post here) have gotten triple copies of this gene. It really is nice to just go thru the posts for inspiration. And they are soooo nice.

I think your kitchen is beautiful-ok could be because mine will look a LOT like it!

When is your move-in date?

• tragusa3
    16 years ago

Charliedawg, you are too kind. Thank you. Everyone does say I have a knack for warming a place up. Funny enough, my wife couldn't decorate her way out of a box. My special touch in that photo was the Sam's Cola box on the counter. Try that. :)

All of these suggestions can be added after the fact. So don't sweat it. I contacted our cabinet supplier and found all sorts of goodies we can add later, and will.

I find that most people don't understand the concept of layering. It's the accessories that make a room.

I'm getting excited for you! You'll be unpacking boxes in no time. Notice I don't respond quickly here anymore. Too much darn fun going on over here!

• hrc1217
    16 years ago

I agree that corbels & stools will help out in that area. Maybe a nice vase with fresh flowers close to the wall to add a little splash of color.

I love your paint color in your kitchen. What brand/color is that? I'm struggling to pick out paint colors & need to make up my mind soon since painting will begin in 2 weeks!

Congratulations & can't wait to see pics after you move in!

• charliedawg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hrc - the kitchen color is Sea Sand by Porter Paints. Our kitchen and great room are wide open and this color is in both areas. It's great. When looking directly at it, it's hard to tell if it is a really pale yellow or a light tan.

• missymar
    16 years ago

C.dawg, you cab. colors are very pretty..... Hope our will look like that when we finally have them delivered!