Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Floor Plan Review

Posted by Hough2012 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 8:52

Hi

We finally sold our house, and are looking to get started on building the new one. Always thought we'd like a split ranch because my husband works nights, but now he's having second thoughts. He thinks he'll miss having a window by the sink. Any one with a split plan with any insight?

If we go this route, we found a floor plan that might work, but really need to find space for a small mudroom or at least an area for a bench to take shoes off by garage entrance.

Any critiques on floor plan would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Friday!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Floor Plan Review

The plan you have picked out is very similar to the house we just built. Our fireplace is along the wall so we have a triple window in the Great Room. That large window along with two sets of French doors in our breakfast nook give us PLENTY of natural light. I was so afraid our kitchen would be dark due to two deep back porches, but even without skylights, it is perfect. I don't feel closed in at my sink and can see out the windows and the doors. We do have a nice back hall area for shoes, mail, a shredder, a calendar, bags, etc... It is so nice to have a place to put all the "junk", so you will definitely want to add something in for your family's needs. Good luck with your build.

o

My house is very similar to the plan you posted. The rear of my house faces north so the breakfast room is a little darker. The kitchen cabinets and counters are darker too, adding to the light issue. I would prefer a sink in front of a window also but you'll be able to see out through the breakfast room and great room windows/doors. Watch for colors and lighting to make sure it's bright enough for you.

The split bedroom plan is great though as there's good privacy between the master and other bedrooms.

Do you need a powder room for a house of this size? If not, you could combine the powder room space and laundry into one larger area.

o

Rear of house will be facing south, so I think that should help with light. I've seen a version of this with a mud/laudry room - but not sure I want to walk through my laundry room to get in house.

clumsycook or done_again - do you like the corner sink in the peninsula? Is your dishwasher in the peninsula, like this plan?

Thanks for the info!

o

My sink is squared on the peninsula with the dishwasher to the right of it. It's a 90 degree corner there. The corner sink makes for a large space underneath that's hard to use. The main issue I have with the kitchen layout is it's not ideal for more than 1 cook at a time. It's not easy to avoid running into someone else if they're in the kitchen too.

o

My peninsula is on a much wider angle, and my sink sets in the middle so I have a good deal of room on either side. The plan called for the dishwasher to be placed beside the sink on one side, but I decided to put my dishwasher on the side wall(next to where your range would be located). This set up is working great for me because I have more room to stand and unload it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here