Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Even our architects can't decide! black or bronze window ext

Posted by Kiwigem (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 8:03

Hi, all. We are building a rustic contemporary home with a combination of varied width vertical cedar and board and batten. BnB will likely be a dark warm grey. Cedar we are still deciding between clear and lighter grey translucent stain. Roof will be standing seam; either silver or light grey.

We need to decide on our window exterior (Integrity bronze or ebony) and I waffle back and forth constantly. The inside of our windows will be painted an almost-black to look like steel windows. There wont be any SDL's except for one accent window in front and back. Otherwise tall casements with unobstructed glass.

Our architects are even divided on the decision! When I stand on the site and look around, I tend to think that the bronze "belongs" a little more, but I am definitely styling the inside of the house on the contemporary side: soft white walls, black window interiors, white oak oiled floors, grey and black slate flooring, drywall returns. Would it look weird for the windows to be bronze on the outside and black on the inside?

Any opinions?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Even our architects can't decide! black or bronze window ext

Black with gray

o

Thanks for contributing so fast, Renovator8! Do you still think black if we decide to leave the cedar to grey over time?

o

I agree--black.

Good luck with your project.

o

I think black also. That being said, I am sure either will work beautifully.

o

Another vote for black.

o

Bronze windows originated with anodized aluminum storefronts that replaced painted steel. Later it was difficult to prevent black PVC and fiberglass from fading. Apparently that is no longer the case.

If your goal is to emulate steel sash I would avoid an imitative color like dark bronze. Additionally I would want a stronger contrast with gray even red cedar left to gray.

I grew up in St Louis were everything was brown even the baseball team so I might have an aversion to it.

Are you from down under?

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 9:40

o

@ Renovator8- everyone asks me that, but no, internet handle is just a riff on a childhood nickname that stuck.

I get the brown aversion; I often say that brown is not a color except for tree bark and dirt... but there's a lot of that where we're building, hence the inclination to blend in a little. :-)

o

I think, since your intention is to make them look like one material,--and an old-style steel window at that- I would go with the black.

A brown outside, black inside would show that it was clearly a clad window of painted wood on the interior and some other material (or more painted wood) on the exterior.

o

The Integrity dark bronze is has some gray in it so it could work too. The thing to avoid in brown is too much yellow. Need I say more?

I thought you might be from down under because of the way you spell gray. But I sometimes spell it the other way too.

o

We decided to go with the Ebony. Thank you all for your input. The idea that brown outside/ black inside might look a little odd is what put us over the edge. Also we are leaning toward a galvalume roof, and we think the black might look nicer with the silver roof.

I figure I can count on two things:
1.) I will have buyer's remorse no matter what I do
2.) It will look just fine no matter what I do.

Thanks, everyone! This is such a helpful forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here