Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's July 2013! How is your build progressing?

Posted by Autumn.4 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 6:48

Kicking it off for July.

On our front - house just sold, still waiting for plans. If all goes well we will break ground yet this year. Excited and anxious all at the same time. We will be renting in the interim.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's July 2013! How is your build progressing?

Got final CO on Friday and we close today. Personally laid 6 pallets of sod in the rain and mud this weekend and will finish up landscaping over the next week or so. Still need to get shutters up and finish a few touch ups on paint inside and out. Oh and we need to move out of rental this week. Overwhelmed!

o

I'm so excited that I can finally post on a "How is your build progressing" thread! We sold our house last month. From listing the house to moving out was a total of 4 weeks! Sold it quickly but had to close and be out within two weeks time. It was a good problem to have, I guess. :-)

As soon as we moved down with our daughter, we broke ground on our new place!

photo null_zps986047f5.jpg

While waiting on subcontractor's final bids on the new house, we are having our pole barn built. It was fun to watch them build it last week.

photo null_zps46c26016.jpg

photo null_zps9cc9f06b.jpg

photo null_zps243a6a6c.jpg

photo null_zps90ad10c9.jpg

photo IMG_1913_zps65b07762.jpg

photo IMG_1927_zps44caecc7.jpg

photo IMG_1926_zpsd9017342.jpg

photo IMG_1922_zps8e2005a2.jpg

And some rock dumped on the driveway so they can drive the trucks up to the pole barn.

photo IMG_1928_zps1111e73e.jpg

If the rain stops long enough this week, they are supposed to bring in a load of rock to spread on the pole barn floor. Then they will spread an insulation blanket down. My husband is having radiant heat for the floor. So, the plumber will install pex tubing and then they'll bring in the concrete.

One thing we have noticed from our bids is that lumber prices have almost doubled since our daughter built on this property three years ago. And, it's consistent. This house is going to cost us a lot more than we originally planned. Sound familiar?

o

Stone started:

Untitled

Walnut stairs are in:

Untitled

I picked my marble and soapstone slabs and they have started HVAC and plumbing.

o

We're finally seeing all of the months of agonizing decisions come together!
front

Sydney's room

photo (5)

London's room

foyer

kitchen

family room

mudroom

master bath

o

Lexmom, what kind of sliding door is that in your living room? I love it!

o

Mrsfireman - I believe that they are Plygem Mira series sliding doors. I know that our windows are Plygem Pro series and I believe that the sliding doors are the grade above the Pro series. Most window companies sell a similar sliding door.

o

lexmom,

Your house is looking wonderful. Can you tell me about the exterior steps? How were they built?

Carol

o

Thanks Carol - as for the steps, it's a little hard to explain but I'll be glad to take pictures tomorrow and post them. Each step curves outward.

o

Carol - here's the pics of the stairs.
stairs top

stairs side

stairs front

o

lexmom,

The stairs are even nicer close up! Thanks for the pics. Is there a concrete or wood base under them?

Carol

o

I believe there are concrete pillars under them. There is no wood. The front porch is concrete.

o

WIndows are in!

Here is a link that might be useful: Our House Blog

o

The house is wrapped, the windows and doors are installed, and most of the interior framing is done. ICF usually isn't wrapped, but I needed to protect the foam from the sun during my slow, one-man build, and it's easier to detail the window flashing. I opted for steel studs for interior framing due to the poor quality of lumber available. Easy to install, and straight, straight, straight!

photo 014-3.jpg

photo 018-3.jpg

o

Windows and doors are in, cement for front porch and garage was poured yesterday. Shop is complete!

o

House and shop

This post was edited by Meg4440Roberts on Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 11:03

o

Shop

o

Inside shop

o

I don't usually post here yet but we have now submitted for permits and can't wait to break ground!!!! I thought we would never make it out of the design phase but I am glad we are getting the ball rolling.

o

Meg4440Roberts That shop is HUGE!!!!! What is your plans for it?

o

Meg4440Roberts Very nice shop! What is the size of your shop? We are planning 30' by 50' with 16' sheds off of 2 sides.

o

what do you people do inside these giant outbuildings ("shops")?
cripes, I'm having trouble imagining ever using all the space inside the 3-car garage in our upcoming build; I can't imagine having a 30 x 50 "shop".
are y'all farmers or something?

o

My barn is 28X48, and I hope it will be big enough! An old-timer once told me that you should build outbuildings three times bigger than you need, and it will be almost big enough.

In my shop, there will be an automotive lift, a machine shop, and a woodworking shop. Part of the barn will be partitioned off and used as a guest house/great room, since our house is small. Some of us have hobbies that get a little out of hand!

o

Our pole barn is 30x50. It will be hubby's workshop. He's turned into a woodworker as a hobby. In fact, he needs to get our shop done because he's building our cabinets.

We had a 30x56 pole barn at our last house. We ended up selling our house so quickly that he didn't finish building the cabinets for the new house. Then we had to take apart all of the cabinet parts and store them. He didn't want the moving company to store and move them. He's going to do that himself.

Hubby thinks his "smaller" shop will never be big enough. But, we had to make some sacrifices with this new build.

o

Electrical and plumbing going in... Might be saying this for a while since we are doing it ourselves. Also going to start siding as soon as the weather lets up. Painting claw foot tub. No noticeably new pics yet.

Jen

o

Shop is 40 x 80. Pole building put up by local Mennonites. Husband and father-in-law farm. Husband also works on diesel pickups, mechanical and diesel performance. It's a pretty common thing around here for shops to be this size!

o

My husband owns a hauling and grading business. So his shop is for working on dump trucks and big equipment. He would really be happy with something larger than the 30' by 50' we plan.... But I don't want it to look too big.

o

It's hard to believe that on May 13th we just had dirt…it's been quite a month! They finished insulation and wiring last week and drywall went up this week. There was actually a few guys working on July 4th which was surprising but very appreciated. We're on a bit of a time-crunch with our landlord and current rental situation so they're trying to push through and get it done a little early for us. The workers are routinely there until 6 or 7 every night and we've found them working a full day on Saturdays, too! I guess they're finishing drywall next week and installing the siding. The following week is hardwood and trim! Kitchen cabinets are all ordered and we're moving right along! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Home-building blog

o

Nothing too new for us. Still in escrow on our lot (waiting to get some papers from the city). Should close in 2 weeks. Finished designing our home and working on our landscaping now. We are presenting to our HOA in a week or two and then to the City we go. :)

Katherine

Below: DD coloring up our landscaping plan.

o

There is no possible way to take a photo of the entire front of house at this point. The Georgia pines are at our front door, so to speak. There is a 2 car garage to the left, not shown in picture. We will be clearing a few more trees before we are done, so more to come later! Also, I can only single post pics, so bear with me please.

This post was edited by equallydivided on Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 20:29

o

Back of house, siding and back deck completed (not an update pic of deck). Low voltage wiring for cable, alarm system, and interior sound system finished. Speaker wiring for living room, kitchen, master bedroom, master bath, and both upper and lower patios are installed. Inspections completed, so now for insulation and drywall this week.

I added an additional electrical outlet and kill switch for the patio ceiling at the last minute, so that I can have string bulb or decorative string lighting on the deck.

This post was edited by equallydivided on Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 20:44

o

2 person side-by-side installed, and bathroom television wired for tub viewing! Hubs and I like our leisure bath time together, and it is amazing how embarrassed I got in having to discuss these wishes with our plumber. Hubs got an elbow and a wink on more than one occasion, and from more than one sub. By the way, the tub is called "The Duke". I can't imagine how big a King would be ;)

Our shower is 4x6 with dual shower heads and dual sprayer, but no pics of that just yet.

This post was edited by equallydivided on Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 20:35

o

Logs arrive this week - two and a half logging truck loads of materials from Montana. This week is when life really will get interesting! The foundation work has been necessary, I know, but a bit boring. Our site supervisor will start full time work this week, which will help, especially as the pace of work picks up.

o

Here's where we are w/ our build. We are 2 months in from when we poured slab. Inside is almost ready for sheet rock.

o

I need to learn how to post pictures, but not today...an observation from building in a very small town (population 3200): our logs arrived today - first shipment (of 3) - the electrician stopped by and discovered a minor problem with our foundation, Lowes called to gripe about appliance delivery, and the log delivery truck broke down while trying to maneuver onto our property. Anyhow - not a *bad* day, but the kind of day that calls for chocolate chip mint ice cream. I rarely eat it (calories and fat), but today *required* a comfort food treat.

I went to our local, small town grocery store for the ice cream. They didn't have much ice cream at all. The nearest store that has the good stuff is about 15 miles from our new house; I had to settle for vanilla, with chocolate sauce.

Living out here is going to be good for the waistline, but bad for my "I need mint ice cream when I've had a crisis day" habit.

(sorry if this is slightly OT, but it does sort of relate. Maybe)

o

Pre-drywall walk through completed. Insulation has begun and all the windows are in. Front door still to be delivered.

o

I guess it's time I finally jumped on board here since I love reading everyone's updates! We will be done with the painting this week and hardwoods are being installed in a few days. Only thing on the exterior that needs to be finished is the porch/garage slabs, porch columns, and all the trim.

o

looks good everyone!! we are just getting our plans for pricing to the builder. so we have about 2 months before we break ground. i can't wait!

o

We've got a roof! Lots of plumbing has been done too.
roof

Here is a link that might be useful: Our House Blog

o

Drywall this week! Open cell foam has been sprayed in the roof, and caution to anyone having it done - the fumes are overwhelming - don't stick around for this part!

This is a picture of the garage, there is a bonus room over the top.

The heat on the second floor was very noticeable (even with all windows and doors open). Now that the foam is in, there is no difference between the first and second floor. It's made a huge difference, even in a completely open house.

o

Brick going up and drywall has begun inside. Things are really moving along. I imagine it will seem slow once all the detail work begins inside.

o

Late update from me! We are past schedule but all work is scheduled to be completed on the 20th of the this month, WOOT WOOT! I miss my husband like crazy and after being a single mom to my girls for the past two and half months, I am ready for some help again!

My husband has been working is tail off at the house. But he is producing beautiful work :)

These are ALL cell phone pics, CRY. But soon I will get my real camera over there.

My littlest one's room painted mint with a chandelier. :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Interior doors:

Fireplace tile:

Walk in shower head, handle is right by the entrance to the shower so you don't have to soak yourself getting in.

Front door painted! I love the color.

If any of you are on instagram, I share more photos there since blogging is hard with my living situation. I am username fionamargo and all the house pics are under the hashtag #sweetreveriehouse

Everyone else's houses look great!!

o

Reverie, it's simply gorgeous. You have such excellent taste!! I'm very excited for you & your family - you're almost there!

o

Sweet.Reverie-I was just thinking about you and wondering how things were coming along! Everything looks great! I bet you can't wait to be back with hubby. Very clever idea for the shower handle. ;)

o

lexmom03 - Your house is beautiful. What plan is that?

o

Thanks Pam19. The plan is The Abbeville by Southern Classic Designs but we made a ton of changes to the downstairs. We made the family room and kitchen more open, rearranged the master bath and made the living room a bedroom by moving the door and adding a shower to the bathroom. We also made the exercise room a side porch.
http://www.southernclassicdesign.com/home_plans/floorplan_detail/?id=104
Let me know if you're interested in the plan with our changes. I can post it or send it to you.

o

Thank you Autumn and FrmQuahog! I love how it is coming together.

Here is the latest picture, the master tub!

Here is a link that might be useful: House Building Blog

This post was edited by sweet.reverie on Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 1:24

o

I'll just keep posting pics, lol
Front Porch

o

Lovely progress all! I have a few more pics of our barebones framing progress but must admit I've been just too busy to keep up. Maybe in August!

o

House is going well. Brick columns and low walls are being installed. Inside insulation is InProcess with drywall starting next week.

o

I just want to get in on this deal already! ;-P
Nothing built...heck, we're still in permitting...but here's the lot frontage (at least some of it; it is 101 ft overall, and the pic probably captures half of that).
It pains us to have to kill a significant number of trees, but we'll save as many as possible.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lot front partial

o

Framing is underway, love seeing the progress after losing almost a month to rain. This is a modified Don Gardner Zimmerman/Satchwell plan.

o

Updated pictures in the blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: home blog

o

Beautiful houses! Reverie what a great porch!

o

Siding going up!

Jen

o

Drywall has started inside and siding has started outside. Two crews working the next two weeks, so should see a LOT of progress!

o

Living room ceiling

o

Can't wait to see some more of this!

o

We have a driveway :)

o

WOW!!!!!! That is a driveway!

o

Lori, what a fun driveway!!

Lzerarc, house looks so beautiful!

Jenn, what a pretty little house you have! How much land do you have?

o

Lori~ So exciting! You were not kidding about a long driveway!

Sweet.reverie~ Thanks! We have 40 acres and lease an additional 50 for our cattle. Pond is just behind the house. You can see it and the deer or turkey in the "bottom" area/valley to the right, from the porches.
Porches should be going on first of August, then we can finish the top of the siding and sofitt.
Love your sofitt and doors!

Meg~ Love your siding color!

Jen

o

Kitchen cabinets going in! Flooring is being put down today. Only 6 weeks until closing.

o

Kitchen cabinets going in! Flooring is being put down today. Only 6 weeks until closing.

o

Ha yeah, It's always been my dream to have a long driveway. It might have gotten a little carried away, all 1600 ft. of it. Right now my husband is treating it like his baby. :)
lost count of how many triaxle loads of lime & stone, pipes and rip rap and new field tile & water way... oh my!! :)

o

The other day we jumped in the truck right in the middle of a downpour to go see where the water was running. :) lol

It's the little things I guess...

This is as far as it goes for now, the house will go in this spot. Still just trying to figure out exactly where & how we want it to sit.
Doing all the dirt work ourselves, but hopefully footers will be dug soon, along with the septic. Power & water are supposed to be coming back in the next week. The path thru the corn has been bushhogged, disked & prepared so back filling will be easier when it's done.

o

Hey equallydivided, you have my tub! You will love it! Just remember to get a faucet that flows A LOT of water so it doesn't take forever to fill up and make sure your hot water tank is big enough, I wish my tank were a bit bigger but I have only used the tub once (after running the shower).

For my build: I'm so close I can taste it, hopefully everything will be DONE next week but I sort of cheated and started with 3/4ths of a house. (I will start another post/blog once I am done)

The plumber comes tomorrow to plumb the sink and the the electrician comes next week to install the appliances. My punch list is down to one page! I can't wait!

o

LOL STLKota, we will have 2, 50 gallon tanks. I hope that will do it!

I'm glad to hear that you love it! This was HIS choice, and he was adamant - even when he learned we would have to rip out and re-do some of the framing. I wanted the television in the bathtub - he wanted to bring in a laptop as needed. I won!

I'll talk to the plumber to make sure we get something compatable - great suggestion!

o

loribug26, Our driveway will be around 3000', about 2500' is abandoned railroad. Definitely easier to start with a bed that had been holding trains.

o

Here's another pic, but they are from April.

o

Here they are building up to the railroad bed.

o

Equally divided, I've only been able to use it once so far but it is awesome, more of a hot tub than a bath tub lol, I can try to see what type my faucet is, I can't remember the brand but it flows a TON of water and after filling it up once, I'm glad it does. I'm just hoping my hot water heater will keep up if no one uses any hot water beforehand. I think that was my problem.

I'm going to do a write up in the kitchen forum (and one here for the rest of the house) once I'm done but here is a sneak peek of the final piece of my puzzle.

o

LawPaw! AWESOME!!! Please post updated pictures as you have them. I love long driveways :)

Beautiful kitchen SLTKota!

o

LawPaw! AWESOME!!! Please post updated pictures as you have them. I love long driveways :)

Beautiful kitchen SLTKota!

o

We are soooo close!

Here is the kitchen, as view from the living room. Dining room table will be there in front of the french doors.

Kitchen sink, looks out to backyard.

"built in" fridge and dishwasher, our kitchen Ikea.

Range hood.

o

I know you were showing us your kitchen, but I love those floors. :) Very nice!

o

sweet reverie, I love the cabinets and countertop combo!

o

Sweet Reverie,

You house is totally awesome and the kitchen is superb. I don't know how you handled being a single mom so long so your DH could get all those jobs done on the house. How much of the project did you DH do? Did he keep working full time while he worked on the house? Tell you DH his workmanship is outstanding.

Carol

o

Carol,

Randomly, I just did a post about all the work he has done. I will link it at the bottom. He has a full time job BUT he is a firefighter and preemptively took all of May off and all of July off by using vacation and trading shifts. His normal schedule is a 48/96 so he is on for two days, off for four. It was hard at first because we both struggled with our roles, me being a single mom and him working on the house or at his job. And it was hard to realize we could not really help each other. Luckily, we are a very strong couple. :) I always knew we were but this experience solidified it.

And my husband is one of those annoying people who is good at everything (except dancing!). He can build anything. And he teaches himself and will re-do it until it is perfect.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hubs workload post

o

Here is the my driveway in July. This is about 3/4 down, it curves after this a couple of times, but from here you can see to the highway.

It took ALOT of work to trim it up so that the concrete trucks could make it through.

o

Sweet.Reverie,

I just read your link to see all that you and DH accomplished together (after all being a single mom is super tough). My DH is going to take some time off work this fall to try to move along our build closer to completion. I told him I can't stand another winter with a few electric heaters (we are in Canada it was brutal). We have being GCing the build ourselves, but not building it ourselves. That has been enough work. I will tell my DH he better learn how to caulk!!

It sounds like you started with a builder and then worked out with the builder that you would finish the later part of the house yourselves for a big reduction in cost. That was smart.

Enjoy your new home!

Carol

o

Sweet Reverie, I love your photos…your kitchen is gorgeous! I'm really excited to be posting here…our house is moving right along and I'm pretty sure we're on track for our closing at the end of August! Our garage doors were installed yesterday and they're hard at work painting the interior!

photo IMG_2189.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: My house-building blog

o

We are getting closer...painters delayed us for about 2 weeks but they finally came back Friday and should be finished by Thursday. There is still some trim and crown to be installed around the fireplace cabinetry but at least the natural stone and granite is installed. Kitchen glass tile backsplash will be grouted on Monday.
The Oak mantle shelf is from a 150 year old barn..had it sawed down a bit to expose the clean wood and it came out looking great.

photo 1800x533_zpse255731a.jpg

photo 2800x533_zps0207dd37.jpg

photo 3800x533_zps1efe4df5.jpg

photo 4800x533_zps317aacf0.jpg

photo 5800x533_zpsacf2e3c5.jpg

o

It's been a long time since I posted our floor plans to the forum. We broke ground on July 1st and they have completed the basic framing of the first floor as of today, (except the garage). We completed demolition on the old house in December and since then, several old houses on our street have come down and been replaced. We are one of the few that bought the lot and then hired an architect - the other lots seem to have been snapped up by builders who then sell the homes on spec (the neighborhood is in a tremendous revival, so the economics work). It is an urban home - I feel sometimes as though I am the only person who isn't building on lots of land :)

Foundation piers/garage slab:  photo IMG_0807.jpg

Framed 1st floor:

photo IMG_0870.jpg

photo IMG_0886.jpg

o

Lexmomof3,

Wonderful looking home. Would you mind sharing your brick, mortar, and roof shingle selections? I'm building a similar plan and am having a difficult time selecting these.

Many Thanks.
Dave

o

Sweet.reverie, I do love your floor!!

Can I ask what it is?

Thanks!!

o

LOTO, love your fireplace. What make & model number is your fireplace? Thanks

o

Hey Ray- This is a 2013 thread. LOTO may not be reading it to answer. See if you can email.

o

Musicgal - wow thanks didn't realize that, LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here