Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
autumn_4_gw

It's July 2013! How is your build progressing?

autumn.4
10 years ago

Kicking it off for July.

On our front - house just sold, still waiting for plans. If all goes well we will break ground yet this year. Excited and anxious all at the same time. We will be renting in the interim.

Comments (88)

• equallydivided
    10 years ago

Drywall this week! Open cell foam has been sprayed in the roof, and caution to anyone having it done - the fumes are overwhelming - don't stick around for this part!

This is a picture of the garage, there is a bonus room over the top.

The heat on the second floor was very noticeable (even with all windows and doors open). Now that the foam is in, there is no difference between the first and second floor. It's made a huge difference, even in a completely open house.

• boschboy
    10 years ago

Brick going up and drywall has begun inside. Things are really moving along. I imagine it will seem slow once all the detail work begins inside.

• sweet.reverie
    10 years ago

Late update from me! We are past schedule but all work is scheduled to be completed on the 20th of the this month, WOOT WOOT! I miss my husband like crazy and after being a single mom to my girls for the past two and half months, I am ready for some help again!

My husband has been working is tail off at the house. But he is producing beautiful work :)

These are ALL cell phone pics, CRY. But soon I will get my real camera over there.

My littlest one's room painted mint with a chandelier. :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Interior doors:

Fireplace tile:

Walk in shower head, handle is right by the entrance to the shower so you don't have to soak yourself getting in.

Front door painted! I love the color.

If any of you are on instagram, I share more photos there since blogging is hard with my living situation. I am username fionamargo and all the house pics are under the hashtag #sweetreveriehouse

Everyone else's houses look great!!

• FmrQuahog
    10 years ago

Reverie, it's simply gorgeous. You have such excellent taste!! I'm very excited for you & your family - you're almost there!

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sweet.Reverie-I was just thinking about you and wondering how things were coming along! Everything looks great! I bet you can't wait to be back with hubby. Very clever idea for the shower handle. ;)

• pam19
    10 years ago

lexmom03 - Your house is beautiful. What plan is that?

• lexmomof3
    10 years ago

Thanks Pam19. The plan is The Abbeville by Southern Classic Designs but we made a ton of changes to the downstairs. We made the family room and kitchen more open, rearranged the master bath and made the living room a bedroom by moving the door and adding a shower to the bathroom. We also made the exercise room a side porch.
    http://www.southernclassicdesign.com/home_plans/floorplan_detail/?id=104
    Let me know if you're interested in the plan with our changes. I can post it or send it to you.

• sweet.reverie
    10 years ago

Thank you Autumn and FrmQuahog! I love how it is coming together.

Here is the latest picture, the master tub!

Here is a link that might be useful: House Building Blog

This post was edited by sweet.reverie on Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 1:24

• sweet.reverie
    10 years ago

I'll just keep posting pics, lol
    Front Porch

• niteshadepromises
    10 years ago

Lovely progress all! I have a few more pics of our barebones framing progress but must admit I've been just too busy to keep up. Maybe in August!

• sparky4sparky
    10 years ago

House is going well. Brick columns and low walls are being installed. Inside insulation is InProcess with drywall starting next week.

• FmrQuahog
    10 years ago

I just want to get in on this deal already! ;-P
    Nothing built...heck, we're still in permitting...but here's the lot frontage (at least some of it; it is 101 ft overall, and the pic probably captures half of that).
    It pains us to have to kill a significant number of trees, but we'll save as many as possible.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• pfieff
    10 years ago

Framing is underway, love seeing the progress after losing almost a month to rain. This is a modified Don Gardner Zimmerman/Satchwell plan.

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    10 years ago

Updated pictures in the blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: home blog

• sedona_heaven
    10 years ago

Beautiful houses! Reverie what a great porch!

• jennybc
    10 years ago

Siding going up!

Jen

• Meg4440Roberts
    10 years ago

Drywall has started inside and siding has started outside. Two crews working the next two weeks, so should see a LOT of progress!

• Meg4440Roberts
    10 years ago

Living room ceiling

• Meg4440Roberts
    10 years ago

Can't wait to see some more of this!

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    10 years ago

We have a driveway :)

• amtrucker22
    10 years ago

WOW!!!!!! That is a driveway!

• sweet.reverie
    10 years ago

Lori, what a fun driveway!!

Lzerarc, house looks so beautiful!

Jenn, what a pretty little house you have! How much land do you have?

• jennybc
    10 years ago

Lori~ So exciting! You were not kidding about a long driveway!

Sweet.reverie~ Thanks! We have 40 acres and lease an additional 50 for our cattle. Pond is just behind the house. You can see it and the deer or turkey in the "bottom" area/valley to the right, from the porches.
    Porches should be going on first of August, then we can finish the top of the siding and sofitt.
    Love your sofitt and doors!

Meg~ Love your siding color!

Jen

• boschboy
    10 years ago

Kitchen cabinets going in! Flooring is being put down today. Only 6 weeks until closing.

• boschboy
    10 years ago

Kitchen cabinets going in! Flooring is being put down today. Only 6 weeks until closing.

{{!gwi}}

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    10 years ago

Ha yeah, It's always been my dream to have a long driveway. It might have gotten a little carried away, all 1600 ft. of it. Right now my husband is treating it like his baby. :)
    lost count of how many triaxle loads of lime & stone, pipes and rip rap and new field tile & water way... oh my!! :)

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    10 years ago

The other day we jumped in the truck right in the middle of a downpour to go see where the water was running. :) lol

It's the little things I guess...

This is as far as it goes for now, the house will go in this spot. Still just trying to figure out exactly where & how we want it to sit.
    Doing all the dirt work ourselves, but hopefully footers will be dug soon, along with the septic. Power & water are supposed to be coming back in the next week. The path thru the corn has been bushhogged, disked & prepared so back filling will be easier when it's done.

• SLTKota
    10 years ago

Hey equallydivided, you have my tub! You will love it! Just remember to get a faucet that flows A LOT of water so it doesn't take forever to fill up and make sure your hot water tank is big enough, I wish my tank were a bit bigger but I have only used the tub once (after running the shower).

For my build: I'm so close I can taste it, hopefully everything will be DONE next week but I sort of cheated and started with 3/4ths of a house. (I will start another post/blog once I am done)

The plumber comes tomorrow to plumb the sink and the the electrician comes next week to install the appliances. My punch list is down to one page! I can't wait!

• equallydivided
    10 years ago

LOL STLKota, we will have 2, 50 gallon tanks. I hope that will do it!

I'm glad to hear that you love it! This was HIS choice, and he was adamant - even when he learned we would have to rip out and re-do some of the framing. I wanted the television in the bathtub - he wanted to bring in a laptop as needed. I won!

I'll talk to the plumber to make sure we get something compatable - great suggestion!

• LawPaw
    10 years ago

loribug26, Our driveway will be around 3000', about 2500' is abandoned railroad. Definitely easier to start with a bed that had been holding trains.

• LawPaw
    10 years ago

Here's another pic, but they are from April.

• LawPaw
    10 years ago

Here they are building up to the railroad bed.

• SLTKota
    10 years ago

Equally divided, I've only been able to use it once so far but it is awesome, more of a hot tub than a bath tub lol, I can try to see what type my faucet is, I can't remember the brand but it flows a TON of water and after filling it up once, I'm glad it does. I'm just hoping my hot water heater will keep up if no one uses any hot water beforehand. I think that was my problem.

I'm going to do a write up in the kitchen forum (and one here for the rest of the house) once I'm done but here is a sneak peek of the final piece of my puzzle.

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    10 years ago

LawPaw! AWESOME!!! Please post updated pictures as you have them. I love long driveways :)

Beautiful kitchen SLTKota!

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    10 years ago

LawPaw! AWESOME!!! Please post updated pictures as you have them. I love long driveways :)

Beautiful kitchen SLTKota!

• sweet.reverie
    10 years ago

We are soooo close!

Here is the kitchen, as view from the living room. Dining room table will be there in front of the french doors.

Kitchen sink, looks out to backyard.

"built in" fridge and dishwasher, our kitchen Ikea.

Range hood.

• amtrucker22
    10 years ago

I know you were showing us your kitchen, but I love those floors. :) Very nice!

• LawPaw
    10 years ago

sweet reverie, I love the cabinets and countertop combo!

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

Sweet Reverie,

You house is totally awesome and the kitchen is superb. I don't know how you handled being a single mom so long so your DH could get all those jobs done on the house. How much of the project did you DH do? Did he keep working full time while he worked on the house? Tell you DH his workmanship is outstanding.

Carol

• sweet.reverie
    10 years ago

Carol,

Randomly, I just did a post about all the work he has done. I will link it at the bottom. He has a full time job BUT he is a firefighter and preemptively took all of May off and all of July off by using vacation and trading shifts. His normal schedule is a 48/96 so he is on for two days, off for four. It was hard at first because we both struggled with our roles, me being a single mom and him working on the house or at his job. And it was hard to realize we could not really help each other. Luckily, we are a very strong couple. :) I always knew we were but this experience solidified it.

And my husband is one of those annoying people who is good at everything (except dancing!). He can build anything. And he teaches himself and will re-do it until it is perfect.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hubs workload post

• LawPaw
    10 years ago

Here is the my driveway in July. This is about 3/4 down, it curves after this a couple of times, but from here you can see to the highway.

It took ALOT of work to trim it up so that the concrete trucks could make it through.

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

Sweet.Reverie,

I just read your link to see all that you and DH accomplished together (after all being a single mom is super tough). My DH is going to take some time off work this fall to try to move along our build closer to completion. I told him I can't stand another winter with a few electric heaters (we are in Canada it was brutal). We have being GCing the build ourselves, but not building it ourselves. That has been enough work. I will tell my DH he better learn how to caulk!!

It sounds like you started with a builder and then worked out with the builder that you would finish the later part of the house yourselves for a big reduction in cost. That was smart.

Enjoy your new home!

Carol

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    10 years ago

Sweet Reverie, I love your photosâ¦your kitchen is gorgeous! I'm really excited to be posting hereâ¦our house is moving right along and I'm pretty sure we're on track for our closing at the end of August! Our garage doors were installed yesterday and they're hard at work painting the interior!

Here is a link that might be useful: My house-building blog

• LOTO
    10 years ago

We are getting closer...painters delayed us for about 2 weeks but they finally came back Friday and should be finished by Thursday. There is still some trim and crown to be installed around the fireplace cabinetry but at least the natural stone and granite is installed. Kitchen glass tile backsplash will be grouted on Monday.
    The Oak mantle shelf is from a 150 year old barn..had it sawed down a bit to expose the clean wood and it came out looking great.

• texas_cajun
    10 years ago

It's been a long time since I posted our floor plans to the forum. We broke ground on July 1st and they have completed the basic framing of the first floor as of today, (except the garage). We completed demolition on the old house in December and since then, several old houses on our street have come down and been replaced. We are one of the few that bought the lot and then hired an architect - the other lots seem to have been snapped up by builders who then sell the homes on spec (the neighborhood is in a tremendous revival, so the economics work). It is an urban home - I feel sometimes as though I am the only person who isn't building on lots of land :)

Foundation piers/garage slab:

Framed 1st floor:

• bushda76
    10 years ago

Lexmomof3,

Wonderful looking home. Would you mind sharing your brick, mortar, and roof shingle selections? I'm building a similar plan and am having a difficult time selecting these.

Many Thanks.
    Dave

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    10 years ago

Sweet.reverie, I do love your floor!!

Can I ask what it is?

Thanks!!

• Ray_17
    9 years ago

LOTO, love your fireplace. What make & model number is your fireplace? Thanks

• musicgal
    9 years ago

Hey Ray- This is a 2013 thread. LOTO may not be reading it to answer. See if you can email.

• Ray_17
    9 years ago

Musicgal - wow thanks didn't realize that, LOL