Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new construction radiant barrier

Posted by landngarage (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 5:10

Building will be a story and a half with four dormer windows. Roof will be 26 gauge Galvalume metal, not the dark grey I would prefer but a sliver for some hoped for "cool roof" effect. Half inch wafer plywood sheathing with #15 felt. Rafters are 2x8 on 16" centers. Deep coastal south with only a few feet at the very peak of the half story that is what might be described as an attic. For the most part it will be lived in space up there.

We haven't specified a radiant barrier...Not even sure how that would be incorporated in this style of roof...any suggestions or comments would be appreciated on any aspect of this roof. Thank you......ps....any tips on what I should insist on as for the metal roof? 26 gauge "Galvalume" is all the contract says.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new construction radiant barrier

Usually the only cost effective RB is in the form that comes pre attached to the sheathing and you have duct work in the attic. You would be better off by interrupting the thermal bridging of the 2x8s with foam sheathing below the rafters or preferably on top of the roof sheathing. You also need 30 lb felt for roof applications.

o

Usually the only cost effective RB is in the form that comes pre attached to the sheathing and you have duct work in the attic. You would be better off by interrupting the thermal bridging of the 2x8s with foam sheathing below the rafters or preferably on top of the roof sheathing. You also need 30 lb felt for roof applications.

o

Radiant barrier only works when there is an air space and a ventilated attic. Your project, being living space in an a actual attic area, would not be able to utilize a radiant barrier. The only way to get the code required insulation for a residential space is to lose some headroom and use spray foam to get the required R value. Otherwise, that is going to be one HOT living space that even AC won't help much. And it'll cost a pretty penny to try to cool as well.

Ditto 30 pound roofing felt.

You've posted about quite a few issues with this build that do not meed residential code standards. I'm curious as to why you wouldn't want to at least meat the minimum required standards for safety, comfort, and energy efficiency. Especially when there are so many opportunities to design something that exceeds code standards and performs so much better for safety, comfort, and energy efficiency.

o

Thank you letting me know about the thirty pound roofing felt. Story and a half homes have been around for a very long time. Aside from insulating the eight inch deep spaces between the rafters I'm not sure what more I can do. Please explain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here