Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to buy interior shaker style door cheap?

Posted by M_N_A (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 3:04

we like the shaker style door.

like this one, but it's like 200 a door
Masonite Crown MDF Smooth 5-Panel Equal

the Masonite riverside molded door is more than half of the price but we dont like the raised panel look
http://seg05.vendaria.com/zm/202/5058/56/202505856/TileGroup0/0-0-0.jpg

we are in the san francisco bay area. where can we get nterior shaker style door cheaper?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to buy interior shaker style door cheap?

Depending on how many you need and what sizes, you may be able to find similar styles from home salvage and reuse yards.

Not sure where you are in the bay area, but Urban Ore in Berkeley is one, and there are the various Habitat for Humanity Reuse stores - one in San Jose, San Carlos, Oakland, Santa Rosa.

Those places are hit and miss, and you have to go back often to see what the latest is.

Also, try the materials section on Craigslist. I've seen plenty of doors - some used, some new, on there.

o

Here is Texas this is called a five-panel door. The big box guys have them, but you are right, they are more than six-panel raised panel doors. I guess it's popularity or number sold, etc. We priced them at the box stores, and then got on the phone and called builder supply places in the area until we got a better price. We used hollow-core doors to save money, got them primed rather than wood grain. They look great with our craftsman style trim and were just the look we wanted at a price we could afford. We were able to find them in bi-folds for closets (although some were pricier due to odd size), panels for pocket doors, and in the regular hinged doors. Used doors are one solution, but be ready for some sanding and stripping before they will paint out nicely.

o

Uh oh, I looked closely at my doors, and they are five-panel raised panel doors, not shaker doors. Sorry.

I got shaker cabinets this time around (six houses since 2000), and would not get them again: dust and crumbs collect in those panel frames like CRAZY. My doors do take some dusting, but not as much as if they were flat shaker style I'm sure. My plain 3/4" deep baseboards also are turning out to need more attention than the ones with a bit of curve at the top. I am providing these bits of information just so you can consider the care aspect of the shaker look; if you have cleaning help or are still young and perky, just ignore my comments.

o

Have you looked at Lowes? We are buying 3 panel craftsman style prehung doors for around $55 each. Not all the lowes carry them, some locations just seem to carry the traditional 4 or 6 panel style. Anyway, I think some locations might have the five panel you are looking for.

o

we need a lot so salvage won't work. thanks hddana, I might reconsider the raised panel tips. I am all for low maintenance. and olivesmom, i will give lowes a try too!

o

check out Jeldwen Rockport ProCore doors. We have them in our house now and I really like them. They aren't solid but they have something inside them to insulate sound.

http://www.jeld-wen.com/catalog/interior-doors/molded/wood-composite/all-panel

the rockport does have a little beaded edge around the panel, so it's not TRUE craftsmam with the totally square edges, but they do have a 3 panel named "Craftsman" that is totally square edged. I like it very much too!

this is from their website
ProCore™ Solid Core: ProCore The Quiet Door® offers sound reduction up to 50 percent compared to flush hollow core doors

o

hddana - would you mind sharing the supplier you used in TX? We are also in TX (Austin) and are always looking for recommendations of local businesses, even if you're in another city. Thanks!

o

Don't count out salvage just because you need quantity!

Recently my brother, who is even cheaper than I am, believe it or not, bought a bunch of laminate flooring from Habitat for Humanity's resale store. He knew it wasn't enough for his project, but a quick check on his smart phone showed that the product was still available . . . So he bought a couple more boxes at full price. His total price was lower because he bought most of it used. His finished floor looks great.

o

Dreamhome2013, we used Tri-Supply in New Braunfels; they have other branches as well. Helpful, good prices, met deliveries, recommend them.

o

thanks hddana! much appreciated!

o

Hi dreamhome2013. I am in Austin, TX and I use Doors4Home for all my door needs. I never buy building supplies from the big box stores because they don't offer quality products, period. Also, I like to support the local businesses in my town. That being said, I bought shaker style doors from Doors4Home, I got the doors delivered to my house at a great price, I was very happy!

Here is a link that might be useful: interior doors

o

Jeldwen custom carved, very reasonable. I did all 8 foot doors and they look great.

o

Try TruStile doors from Colorado.

Here is a link that might be useful: MDF doors

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here