Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m_n_a

where to buy interior shaker style door cheap?

M_N_A
10 years ago

we like the shaker style door.

like this one, but it's like 200 a door
Masonite Crown MDF Smooth 5-Panel Equal

the Masonite riverside molded door is more than half of the price but we dont like the raised panel look
http://seg05.vendaria.com/zm/202/5058/56/202505856/TileGroup0/0-0-0.jpg

we are in the san francisco bay area. where can we get nterior shaker style door cheaper?

Comments (15)

• storyofmylife
    10 years ago

Depending on how many you need and what sizes, you may be able to find similar styles from home salvage and reuse yards.

Not sure where you are in the bay area, but Urban Ore in Berkeley is one, and there are the various Habitat for Humanity Reuse stores - one in San Jose, San Carlos, Oakland, Santa Rosa.

Those places are hit and miss, and you have to go back often to see what the latest is.

Also, try the materials section on Craigslist. I've seen plenty of doors - some used, some new, on there.

• popeda
    10 years ago

Here is Texas this is called a five-panel door. The big box guys have them, but you are right, they are more than six-panel raised panel doors. I guess it's popularity or number sold, etc. We priced them at the box stores, and then got on the phone and called builder supply places in the area until we got a better price. We used hollow-core doors to save money, got them primed rather than wood grain. They look great with our craftsman style trim and were just the look we wanted at a price we could afford. We were able to find them in bi-folds for closets (although some were pricier due to odd size), panels for pocket doors, and in the regular hinged doors. Used doors are one solution, but be ready for some sanding and stripping before they will paint out nicely.

• olivesmom
    10 years ago

Have you looked at Lowes? We are buying 3 panel craftsman style prehung doors for around $55 each. Not all the lowes carry them, some locations just seem to carry the traditional 4 or 6 panel style. Anyway, I think some locations might have the five panel you are looking for.

• M_N_A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

we need a lot so salvage won't work. thanks hddana, I might reconsider the raised panel tips. I am all for low maintenance. and olivesmom, i will give lowes a try too!

• bridget helm
    10 years ago

check out Jeldwen Rockport ProCore doors. We have them in our house now and I really like them. They aren't solid but they have something inside them to insulate sound.

http://www.jeld-wen.com/catalog/interior-doors/molded/wood-composite/all-panel

the rockport does have a little beaded edge around the panel, so it's not TRUE craftsmam with the totally square edges, but they do have a 3 panel named "Craftsman" that is totally square edged. I like it very much too!

this is from their website
    ProCore⢠Solid Core: ProCore The Quiet Doorî offers sound reduction up to 50 percent compared to flush hollow core doors

• Lara
    10 years ago

hddana - would you mind sharing the supplier you used in TX? We are also in TX (Austin) and are always looking for recommendations of local businesses, even if you're in another city. Thanks!

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Don't count out salvage just because you need quantity!

Recently my brother, who is even cheaper than I am, believe it or not, bought a bunch of laminate flooring from Habitat for Humanity's resale store. He knew it wasn't enough for his project, but a quick check on his smart phone showed that the product was still available . . . So he bought a couple more boxes at full price. His total price was lower because he bought most of it used. His finished floor looks great.

• popeda
    10 years ago

Dreamhome2013, we used Tri-Supply in New Braunfels; they have other branches as well. Helpful, good prices, met deliveries, recommend them.

• Lara
    10 years ago

thanks hddana! much appreciated!

• adam-bar
    9 years ago

Hi dreamhome2013. I am in Austin, TX and I use Doors4Home for all my door needs. I never buy building supplies from the big box stores because they don't offer quality products, period. Also, I like to support the local businesses in my town. That being said, I bought shaker style doors from Doors4Home, I got the doors delivered to my house at a great price, I was very happy!

Here is a link that might be useful: interior doors

• pors996
    9 years ago

Jeldwen custom carved, very reasonable. I did all 8 foot doors and they look great.

• User
    9 years ago

Try TruStile doors from Colorado.

Here is a link that might be useful: MDF doors

• bardzil
    6 years ago

Does anyone have a good source for shaker style doors? Looking to buy a entire house of 84" tall doors. Prefer single or double panel.

• millworkman
    6 years ago

The link renovator8 listed above would be my go to source.