Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melaska

Are inside window blinds worth it?

melaska
11 years ago

We're about to order the windows & sliding door for our new build. I'm wondering if the blinds that are inside the glass are worth it?

I do like that there would be no dusting. Hubby wonders how stable the mechanism is that operates the blinds (how does that work, anyway?)

Which do you prefer...the 'honeycomb' style or horizontal/vertical slats?

Thanks!

Comments (22)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

I prefer quality brand window and would not recommending a brand because of "blinds between the glass". Maybe share what brand window your interested in and possibly get some opinions or advice that way.

• tracik3
    11 years ago

We have a patio door with the blinds in it. We really like it. I'm not sure how long it would of held up though because we only had it for like a year and changed the door out so we could put a dog door in.

• Linda Gomez
    11 years ago

I bought some window blinds that fit over the framed part of the patio door glass. They open and close with small levers on either side of the frame. Found them at a big box store; they look built into the door. They are dust free. LOVE them.

The cords of window blinds seem to wear out with a lot of use. I expect my windows to last 40 - 50 years. Window blinds: 10.

• melaska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, my...I guess I should've found this article before. I don't know how 'alarmist' it may be but it does make sense. I'll link it below. Thanks for all your input!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Surprising Truth about Between-the-Glass Blinds

• millworkman
    11 years ago

I would not put two cents into what that guy states. I did not even bother to read his ramblings past the first several sentences to know that he is a self serving con-artist (for the lack of a better word). Stay away from anyone who self promotes themselves to be the be-all end-all supplier in this industry.

• lolauren
    11 years ago

We only have one set in our patio door. I found that they don't work perfectly (if I open them too quickly, the blinds fall out of alignment... and I have to close and reopen slowly to get them back on their track......) Once I figured out to open them slowly every time, there is no problem. With all this said, I would still have put this type of door/blind in this area, as it solves a privacy issue for a grass door. It wouldn't deter me from using them again...

• arch123
    11 years ago

We looked a house that we considered buying with inside blinds. The house was very nice except for the inside window blinds. They were falling apart and we wondered - How would you fix that? Why wouldn't the owner have fixed it - if it was easy?

• mx702
    11 years ago

I was actually considering changing out my 2 year old slider to get the blinds between the glass option. Does any manufacturer offer this with Low E glass?

• gaonmymind
    11 years ago

I think it sounds good in theory, but I would not want them in a house. Why not get custom blinds? They probably cost the same and are more attractive.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Nobody here is reading what I wrote, very few companies even offer "Blinds between the Glass". To limit your self to these companies I will limit you to some companies that are well regarded in the window industry. I seriously would consider choosing my windows first then consider the blinds as an option IF that window company offers them. The companies that off them that I am familiar with would not be worth considering in my opinion.

• melaska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

millworkman...I did listen to you...I just haven't had time to post. The company we are going with don't offer the blinds so there's that :) Anyway...even if they had - we decided against them.

Here is a pic I took the other day of our build showing Arctic double wall construction with space in between so it breaks the thermal conductivity.

I may be wrong but maybe it's the same principle as Arctic double wall construction. I'll link below. The main page: http://www.cchrc.org/

Here is a link that might be useful: Double wall construction can boost energy efficiency in cold climates.

• galore2112
    11 years ago

I don't really understand the US-common way of installing blinds inside the house? You get all the heat into the house so they aren't at all energy efficient in the summer...

• millworkman
    11 years ago

jrldh, that is a good point that I never even really thought of. Your correct defeats the purpose of quality glass to let the heat in through the window then block it!

• gaonmymind
    11 years ago

jrldh....What would you suggest a person do for privacy and light filtering?

• dakota01
    11 years ago

I had Pella windows at my last house and I only had the blinds between the glass in the master bedroom and bath. Iliked them since my bathroom window was a front window and since bedrooms are sooo dusty it gave me less cleaning to do. I would do it again, but as the last time only in particular rooms.

• galore2112
    11 years ago

>jrldh....What would you suggest a person do for privacy and light filtering?

I use a combination of outdoor blinds:

{{gwi:1465351}}

and outdoor roller shades

• melaska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

jrldh...you must live in a warm climate? We couldn't do that here in Alaska. Hubby is going to put some kind of outside shutters on our windows that will withstand our harsh winters.

Just saw that the CCHR has a study on window insulation...I'll link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Evaluating Window Insulation- Cold Climate Housing Research Center

• galore2112
    11 years ago

I'm in Texas and wanted to have something that prevents the heat from entering through the window but the outside blinds and shutters are used all over Europe (I imported mine), even in countries with harsh winters (like Germany).

• melaska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

jrldh...interesting. I'll have to research some more. Thanks for the info.

• gaonmymind
    11 years ago

I think my HOA would fine me if I tried something like this....lol. also cleaning between those blinds outside would be a little tedious.

• galore2112
    11 years ago

Yeah, that style wouldn't fit most HOA governed cookie-cutter homes. I'm building a cubist-modern home so that's not a problem.

• gaonmymind
    11 years ago

Jrldh would love to see your progress...any pics?