Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marisany

Mudroom/powder room/pantry layout - advice needed

marisany
14 years ago

I have never been on this particular forum before, but it seems that most of the mudroom threads live here. I do not plan to ever build a house - all those decisions would do me in - but I hope some of your kind souls will give me some feedback on my plans.

I live in a 1931 house, a center-hall Colonial. We are doing some renovations, and the spaces are small. Our back door comes into a room which now has a toilet in an interior room, some closets along a wall, and a counter with sink (outside the toilet room). I am uploading some photos - please note that I did NOT choose the gold gingham wallpaper and shades - they were here when we moved in. You may also notice that the ceiling is falling down because of leaks from the bathroom above (also being renovated at the same time - I have a thread asking for advice on that on the Bathroom forum).

We want the space to have a powder room - toilet and small pedestal sink in a 30" x 4.5' space, a cleaning closet, a cupboard (pantry) for overflow food storage, and built-in cubbies/hooks/bench. There are now two windows on one wall that will stay, and a larger one on another wall that will be blocked off for the cleaning closet/pantry.

The entire space is 10'11" x 7'6".

Here are photos of the room in its current state, starting from the exterior door and going around to the left:

Exterior door; door to hallway on right, toilet room on left:

View into toilet room, showing one of the windows that will stay:

Toilet room and area to left, showing other window that will stay:

Current sink and counter; window on right of photo will stay, larger one on left will be blocked off:

Part of current wall of closets/cupboards:

Other end of wall of closets with door to hallway on left:

After considering many potential layouts, this is the one I came up with:

The exterior door is at the top of the drawing, and the door to the hallway on the left. These stay the same. The toilet room will be flipped to the other side, a sink will be added, and the existing door will be in the center of the longer wall (rather than at the end of the space). Next to it will be the cleaning closet and pantry. The mudroom cubbies will be next to the exterior door, with a bench under the window.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has suggestions about where to get the cabinets for cleaning supplies and food storage, I'd...

Comments (8)

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    14 years ago

Given the limited amount of space you have, I think you've come up with a pretty good design. The main issue I have is that, in sketching your design I think you have underestimated how much space you need in the powder room and I don't think you have taken wall thicknesses into account quite correctly.

It looks like you scaled your drawing to one square = 6". thus the walls around your powder room are only drawn about 2.5 to 3 inches thick. With 2x4 framing, walls are slightly over 4" thick once you get them sheetrocked on both sides.

Then, you've sketched the toilet as being only about 16 inches from front to back. Round front toilets actually jut about 25 to 28 inches out from the wall and elongated ones jut as much as 32 inches out. Then, most codes require at least 21 inches of standing space in front of the toilet. Even a small, wall mounted sink will generally stick out 16" to 18" from the wall. So, with a toilet and sink across from each other, you'll probably need 5.5 ft (66 inches) from wall to wall in the bathroom. You might be able to squeeze the size down a few inches by using a small corner sink like the ones in the link below but I wouldn't try to make the powder room's interior dimensions less than 32" x 60"

An exterior door is usually 36" wide (although it is possible to purchase 32" wide exterior doors) and it needs a couple of extra inches on each side for trim and hardware. You haven't taken that space requirement into account.

All this means that, in order to fit into the space you have, your cubbies, cupboards, and bench are all going to have to shrink down a little bit. Those things are more flexible tho and frankly, I don't see any better options for using the space than the one you've come up with.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: small sinks

• rsc2a
    14 years ago

Here's an idea I threw together real quick...haven't really adjusted it much:

• marisany
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bevangel, thank you very much for the comments. I was a bit careless with the sketch - the existing exterior door will stay, and I will re-draw the plan with exact measurements for that area. You are right that I did not realize how thick the walls would have to be. I will have to re-think this.

rsc2a, thank you for the alternative design! I will think about this and post a new plan tomorrow.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

A couple of suggestions:

• A pocket door into the PR

15" - 18" deep pantry shelves on the long wall opposite the window.

Pantry shelves ideally shouldn't be any more than 18" deep, preferably 12" to 15"...unless they're pullout shelves, and even then I think 24" is too deep as you go up past chest level. Most of us on the Kitchens Forum have found that things get lost and are more difficult to get to on shelves deeper than 15".

In my experience, the most useful, versatile, and least expensive type of pantry is a built-in walk-in or step-in pantry (i.e., walls & shelves as opposed to cabinets).
    A small coat closet on the wall b/w the pantry & PR. I put in a coat closet instead of "cupboards" b/c I think a place to hang coats (including long) is essential. Cubbies are all well & good for jackets & backpacks, but coats really work better in a closet. (It also keeps them nicer looking.)

Where you have the little box, you could put shelves up that wall instead of extending the bar all the way across. You won't be able to hang anything there anyway.

Regarding wall depths...sometimes they can be shallower if you turn the 2x4s around so they're oriented as 4x2s. That can cut about 1-1/2" off the wall depth.

So, what about something like this?

• marisany
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, buehl, what great suggestions! I can't believe you managed to fit so much into the space.

Thank you for the information about pantry shelf depth. That is useful. I was thinking of one of those pullouts that is narrow and deep, but maybe shelves would be better.

Great idea about the wall thickness - I'll run your idea by the contractor.

I don't need a coat closet here; there is a coat closet right next to the hallway door (behind your pantry and utility cabinet.

The little box, by the way, surrounds a big pipe that goes all the way up, something related to the plumbing. The toilet above is connected to it.

• kelleg69
    14 years ago

We have cubbies with a bench underneath. Could you do something like to make better use of the bench? I may be able to give you pictures if you care to see them.

• marisany
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kelleg, I would love photos of your bench/cubbies! I have collected a few from various threads here to get ideas. The reason I did not have cubbies above the bench is that there is a window there that I want to keep. I guess I could do the bench along the wall with the exterior door, but that space is going to be short.

I am going out of town for a couple of days, but will be back on the weekend with new drawings.

• SuzieSnowflake
    14 years ago

I like rsc2a's design. It's clean, open and the line of vision from the exterior door doesn't go straight to a toilet.