Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennios

Helping selecting Hardie siding / coordinate garage door color

jennios
10 years ago

Hello all! I am building a home and the time has come to pick out the siding color. Having such a hard time and need all the help and suggestions you can offer.

We are using Hardie plank, shake and trim. We like earth tones and nothing too bold. The biggest problem I am running in to is blending the garage doors - we are using Wayne Dalton steel doors and they only offer 5 colors, they can be painted by my DH and builder are against that. Pretty much the only possible colors we could use are almond or taupe b/c the brown is too bold for us http://www.wayne-dalton.com/residential/classic-steel/Pages/garage-door-model-8300-8500.aspx

Attached is a mock up of the elevation of our home.

The stone will be natural earth tone thin ledge, here is a pic http://www.baltazarsstonesales.com/products/rough-country/

Now for the Hardie siding, shake and trim. We were thinking of woodstock brown siding, sailcloth trim and timberbark shake above the garage. This leaves the only choice for garage in almond whichi think is too bold(yellow).

We are using hardie color selections for "North" regions http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/colorplus-palette.shtml

Any suggestions you have (or other color ideas) is GREATLY appreciated!!!!! Thank you SO much for reading and helping!

Comments (5)

• Kathy Harrington
    10 years ago

Hi congratulations on your new home. It looks really nice. First a disclaimer, I'm not a designer, but I'm happy to give you my opinion. If you have the option to pick up a sample of your stone and take it and compare it to the siding colors, I think that is best and when they are laying side by side, you'll be able to see what colors you are drawn to. I would do my best to take the colors from the stone.

Just looking at the pictures, it looks like some of the lighter stone has some of the same shade/tones as the almond garage door. If that is the case, then I would look for two shades of brown in the stone that harmonize with the stone for your siding and shake. I would try to keep the garage doors and trim the same if possible. To my untrained eye, I would look at the Navajo beige trim as well as the sail cloth with the almond door. If you decide to do the taupe door, I might look at cobblestone.
    As for the siding and shingle, I think they look too much alike, and I would want more of a contrast. Maybe look at Khaki brown for the siding or maybe even Autumn brown. Hope that gives you something to think about. Good Luck!

• chispa
    10 years ago

I think that when garage doors make up more than 2/3 of your front facade, you need to spend a larger percentage of your budget on them. I would skip the knee-high stone look and use those funds to design custom garage doors.

You will see the garage doors every single time you come and go from your house for years to come. Do you really want to settle for one of five colors that don't seem to excite you at all?

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

The garage doors are huge, compared to anything else on your front elevation. Do whatever it takes to reduce the visual appearance of the doors and any contrast that will attract the eye to the garage doors. In other words, paint the doors to blend in with the façade and keep them from standing out.

Good luck with your project.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

I agree with chispa and virgil, and dam those garage doors are a huge visual. Are you certain that is what you want?

• jennios
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much for your feedback. Harringk, I decided to go with the taupe doors and cobblestone. Thank you for the feedback! I know the garage doors are big, that is kind of the norm with ranch homes around here....