Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Building a cold storage room

Posted by amberm145 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 0:13

We are building a new house, not yet started. I have planned to put a cold storage room in the basement, but I'm confused about the need for ventilation.
Won't the vent cause the room to freeze when it drops to -40 degrees outside? I'm thinking we need some kind of insulation in the vent for the winter? Does there need to be a fan? Or just a hole? Should I be concerned about moisture and critters getting in through this vent?

Do I even need a vent? I live in a very dry climate. We do get snow and rain, and it seeps into the ground, so the basement walls will be waterproofed. But the air is quite dry. Houses all have humidifiers to keep the air breathable, and to keep our indoor woods from cracking.

Having too much humidity in our cold room won't be an issue. If anything, our cold room might even be drier that we would ideally want it to be.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Building a cold storage room

Hi -

I think a lot of the answers to your questions depend on what you'd like to store. The house in which I was raised had a cold storage room in the basement, but we used it primarily for canned goods. If that's what you're thinking of doing, then I don't imagine you need any special ventilation. If, on the other hand, you're planning to store any true perishables, you might be better off in the long run considering something like a small walk-in. Nor-Lake makes a line of these that seem pretty easy to assemble, with an easily-accessible external condenser unit and a fan to keep the air moving - I'm including a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nor-Lake Step-In Cooler

o

Thanks, HomeSweetHome. We will store canned goods, inexpensive wine, and apples and potatoes. So, a mix of perishable, and somewhat perishable.

We're trying to build an eco-friendly house. So a walk in fridge doesn't really fit with that idea.

o

Hmmm...what are you planning to use as your heating system? If you're going with something like geothermal, maybe there's a way to cool the room with the ground water before it gets to the heat pump? If you installed radiant coils in the floor of the storage room on the way to the heat pump, I imagine that would keep things pretty regular no matter what the weather outside was doing.

As for air circulation, I don't think it would be necessary for you to vent to the outside, particularly if you live in a dry climate. An opening to a larger source of air in the basement and a small fan should be plenty. Sounds as though you'll be using this pretty much the same way we used ours - as a cool pantry. Provided you don't need to maintain any single consistent temp, a set-up like this should keep things cool enough.

o

Both potatoes and apples need about 90% relative humidity for long term cold storage. And adequate air circulation is important. Apples prefer to be kept in the lower 30s. Potatoes in lower 40s.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here