Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njbuilding143

Wiring - What did you do?

njbuilding143
9 years ago

Ok.. Now I know I am getting ahead of myself with this as we have only started to get bids on the basic construction of the home but I have been trying to work on a wiring diagram for the house and just wanted to see what others have done with the following items.. I have expressed to all potential builders that I wanted a structured wiring system for everything in the house so that all tv coaxial, ethernet, telephone, etc all comes into one central point in the basement.. Anyway.. Here is what I was wondering..

1) I have basically figured that the house will have 1 coaxial run to each bedroom, loft, living room, office, and basement area where we plan to do a media room down the road.. My question for coaxial is - Did anyone run more then one line to each room in case of future furniture rearrangement? I was contemplating running two cable lines to each room and just "storing" the unused cable behind an empty wall plate so that in the event we decide to rearrange furniture the television can be moved without having to open walls or run cable across the wall.

2) What did you do for ethernet? Being that it is cheap to run I was planning on running multiple lines to each room but in some rooms I was thinking for as many as 6. For example in the upstairs loft I plan on putting all game consoles, smart tv, blu ray player, etc.. All of these items run ethernet... I have some people saying to just put a switch in each room but I was under the impression that you lose signal by doing that. I figured run each ethernet wire to a central location where they will plug into a large switch, someting like a 24 port or more..

Comment (1)