Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samana

Green house - need help choosing paint

samana
11 years ago

We're trying to choose an exterior color and we're having trouble. We're pretty sure we want to go with a green, but that's about it. We're in a very wooded area, no houses nearby. The house has a pretty simple design, Hardi-plank, natural stone veneer on parts, and will have a deck.

Here are the latest three options we are considering (ignore the two small paint samples to the far right). We don't want white trim. Instead we want to go with a shade darker than the walls. The middle sample is kind of what this would look like. We were thinking the left and right ones are too blue given the stone, but I just don't know if the middle shade is too light.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, or even another suggestion if you know of a good green shade that works well for the outside.

Thank you!

Comments (12)

• minneapolisite
    11 years ago

I personally like the middle one, with its slight yellow undertones. The others have blue undertones, which are nice, but not my favorite. :)

• SpringtimeHomes
    11 years ago

I agree with minn. Not too sure about your plan to do a darker version for the trim. I think brown or something more of a contrast.

• chispa
    11 years ago

Personally, I don't care for any of the greens with your stone.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I agree that none of these greens do it for me.

Your stone looks very similar to ours. Our siding is vinyl, but it might give you an idea for color.

• samana
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bevangel, I really appreciate the time you spent. I guess we had thought we could find a green that would complement the stone and come up with a pretty natural palette. It is ironic that you mention the taupy green. We saw a house that looked kind of greenish, with dark trim, and when we asked about the color it turned out to be Sawdust by SW. It was also in a wooded area, so I guess it picked up the greens. So perhaps we will turn in that direction.

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    11 years ago

I've still got my SW paint palette strips - LOL! - so I took a look at SW Sawdust and, to me, that looks like a definite possibility to go with your stone!

While SW Sawdust doesn't happen to be one of the colors I pulled out of your stone in my previous post, the next lighter color on the same paint strip (the SW-23 strip) is SW Favorite Tan, and on my computer at least, SW Favorite Tan is an almost exact match to the color on the far left of the top strip above. And the darkest color on the SW-23 strip, Best Bronze, is slightly lighter but otherwise identical to the 5th block from the left in the top row of my colors. My bet is Sawdust would blend beautifully with your stone.

It's interesting that Sherwin Williams identifies Sawdust as being in the "green family" but identifies Favorite Tan and Best Bronze as being "warm neutrals." I'd have considered Sawdust a warm neutral also but I can definitely see how it might take on a greenish cast if painted on a house set in the woods. You would be getting a lot of green reflecting off the house from the nearby trees and that would intensify its slight greenish undertones.

I'd definitely spring for a sample pot of Sawdust and maybe Best Bronze and see how those look with your stone. Post a picture if you do.

• vedhei
    11 years ago

Samana,I know this forum is from a year ago, but would you mind sharing what kind of stone you used on your home? Thank you. Hope you ended up loving your final color choice of paint. :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

We have a lot of stone work around our house, and while our house is mostly white cedar, where we do use a color on the exterior it is BM Hampshire Grey. It is a green color IMHO, despite the name.

Here is a link that might be useful: here is an example on our front door

• samana
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Vedhei, sure, no problem.

We are in Charlottesville, VA and we used local rock from a company in town. Amazingly, it was less expensive than the cultured stone like El Dorado. The company is Charles Luck Stone and it is a thin stone, which can be applied on walls. Here are their current offerings:
    http://www.charlesluck.com/products/type/thin-stone

And we do love the color. We finally went with SW Sawdust, with accents in High Tea and Best Bronze.

• Charret
    11 years ago

Your colors sound wonderful, samana! Can you post a picture of the final outcome?

• scarte7
    6 years ago
    Do you know the name of the third color?