Return to the Building a Home Forum

o
It's June 2014. How's your build? Part 2

Posted by musicgal (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 22:52

It is the night of the full June moon tonight, the night that is called the "honeymoon". My art niche is done and after months of waiting, we are in the sweet spot where things are finally falling together. Kitchen cabs are stained. Most of the walls are painted. Contracters of old are poking their heads in to check things out. John the Framer came by today. So did Terry the Carpenter. It's like the family coming into the waiting room to see what the baby is going to look like.

All the stuff that was supposed to start this week... well, it will start next week. Tile guys will do something tomorrow, and my slabs are firmly nestled in their forest bed out in the middle of the woods at the fabricator's. I will take pictures of the niche tomorrow, but for now, here are some other pics.

Lazy gray popping on white trim stacked on stained baseboards.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's June 2014. How's your build? Part 2

Softened Green SW paint and polka dot windows in the game room. The two lower windows are eye level to look out on the dam to keep track of the kids.

o

The window seat in the gameroom. Facing the street.

o

Staining crew working on the drawers. Wine grotto in the background.

o

A secret door that goes somewhere secret... as long as the address is somewhat mysterious.

o

Musicgal - did you use a premade secret door or did you have your carpenter make it? I have always wanted one. After reading an article on houzz about them yesterday I am now trying to figure out how to work one into our house. We just started framing so now would be the time.

o

THANK YOU illini. My finger was getting all muscular from continued scrolling on my iphone. I have 'scroll finger' - is that a medical condition?

I have tried to post a couple times but my phone would freeze up. No internet and now phone issues? Say it isn't so! I'm not sure I can even remember all of my responses at this point.

illini-we put up one of those curtain rods in the boys bath but it's a single. We got it from BB&B and so far so good. We used the hangers that go around the bar so one curtain hangs on the inside of it and the other on the outside - does that make sense?

jdez-how's that can? Did you get some butts moving?

Musicgal-I wanna take the secret door! Me me me! Where oh where does it go? Love your space, your wainscoting, round windows, window seat. Ahhh, so so nice! Can't wait to see the niche too!

Northpole - Tamara - which one of you said your gc prides them self on accuracy. Woot woot! That is AWESOME! Definitely important.

Amber-umm, yes I have that beam at the bottom of the stairs and we couldn't move it. :( I am blocking that out, lol (among a few other things).

On the pre-selections. So difficult. We had some things chosen pretty early because we knew what we wanted and it was within budget so checked it off the list. BUT....sometimes certain things can get you in trouble if you choose too soon or not in the right order. For instance - laundry room. I had it laid out just how I wanted it, ordered a couple of uppers for detergent and the like. Months later I picked out a washer and dryer and decided to go front load, figured no big deal. Well they arrived and they are HUGE. So now my uppers can't go over them as I won't be able to reach them. No biggie right - moved down to the other end where we have a laundry sink and small counter. Well that space wasn't identical, it's a few inches smaller. 6' for the w/d and about 5'8 for the sink base and counter. So my cabinets hang out to the side of the lower cabinet by a few inches and the door center line is off from the faucet line. Functional? YES! Annoying to see - YES! Grr! Thankfully it's not like anyone will be in there but me but *@&)#!!! It's little things like that that make me wonder if you shouldn't wait as long as possible. :( So that is disappointing but it's still useful. We also waited until now to look at the office. I am totally happy with that call since I wasn't sure how things would be once we got our closet organizers in. Now that the dust is settling I am ready to tackle that. Working on getting quotes for a desk and a tall book shelf. Closet organizers - NEVER underestimate the power of great closet inserts! Oh my gosh I could GUSH - I am GUSHING. Love love love! Sigh. I have been busy actually putting stuff away. I will have to take some pics.

In the pantry I went with 6", 12" and 14" depths. They are all very useful for what they store. It's not completely organized but I have started putting that stuff away. 6" is great for water bottles, soup, canned goods, rice, mac n cheese, spaghetti sauce - you name it. It fits and it's not stacked deep so you can see what you have. YES! We have a back entry closet (besides the locker area) that they suggested putting shelving in the middle for shoes and then double hanging on either side for off season coats. IT is awesome! I will have to snap a pic. It is so handy for those of us that have winter jackets, winter parkas, fall coats and spring coats. I suppose everyone else in the warm climates could use it for bathing suits and cover ups.....haha.

Thank you for the kind comments on our curvy cement. I can't wait til we get some landscaping in there it will look so nice! For now - the dog uses it to dig a nice cool spot and sink her belly in it. Doh!

On our end - finally received our last draw. We've been floating since February (thankfully we had barn build funds set aside that we have been using)...the well was about dry! Still working on odds and ends. Bathroom backsplashes need to go up yet, all pulls are on, outside brick is slowly starting. Dh hasn't had time to spend a full day on it or anything but he did start getting the lathe on. Our front porch cement looks a little iffy. So we have decided not to put the columns up in case we need to tear it out and re-pour and we won't be able to really tell until we go through a winter. :( Boo! No columns for about a YEAR! That stinks! But I'd rather not pay for them twice. Cement guy isn't sure why it's showing a few hairline cracks but he said after a winter season we'd know if it will make it or not.

I am still messing with the adjustment on the occupancy sensors. I think they were turned all the way up so they came on whether it was light out or not. We'll see how I did when I get home tonight.

It's still feels kind of funny walking around the house with it finished. It's been so many months walking around with 'work shoes' on and loud echoes. It's surreal yet to walk around and feel the floor under your stocking feet. :)

Happy Friday everyone and Happy Father's Day weekend!

o

Crafty Granny- my carpenter made it. There is a company in our area that specializes in them, and they make different configurations... like pool cue racks, wall mirrors or the bookcase door like mine starting at around $700. Since mine was simple enough, my carpenter made it to fit the space.

Art niche reveal.

o

music gal- lovely photos. your home has beautiful details. What is your move in date?

autumn- we have a similar back entry walk in closet for winter coat storage, etc like you describe. We are fortunate to have one in our current (old?) house too so I knew how useful it would be. I did shoe and boot and hat shelves, double rod and single rod (not as much single as double) for all those extra coats and whatnot. Then I did a row of hooks for beach bags, my re-usable grocery bags, etc.

Our wood floors are all installed. Tile is all done except backsplashes in kitchen, laundry and one bath. Hardware guy finished installing doors and drawers in the master bath and kitchen and the few closet areas we had some extra drawers added. (d'oh I forgot to order hardware for those!)

Exterior painting is started. The front walkway concrete was poured today, patio areas and garage approach are being done Monday. We decided since we have such a steep driveway we are doing asphalt on the sloped part, but at least we have a huge part at the top that is flat and will be concrete.

o

illini- we were told we would be in by June, so I figure July sometime. It's no use being mad at the GC. Just taking things one day at a time now. BTW, thank you for the kind words. Our house is filled with whimsy. I want it to be memorable for our grandkids:-)

This post was edited by musicgal on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 19:20

o

Musicgal- I have Lazy Gray over bright white (nearly identical to yours) trim in my bathroom at the beach and love it! It is calm, crisp, and clean and makes me happy everytime I look at it! Your home is coming along so well and is just beautiful!

Autumn- thanks for sharing your experience with pre-selections. I definitely want an accurate price, but also don't want to be rushed into decisions we will regret later, especially on selections that really don't need to be made now! The one that really got to me was the tile, which I have no doubt we'll be changing. The tile folks our builder uses have their showroom under construction, so the entire process was poor at best. I came to the appointment armed with inspiration photos, and the designer had to go through piles of sample boards to make suggestions. I've picked tile through other contractors before for renos to previous houses - so I know my expectations aren't out of whack!

Yesterday was a big day for us- earth was finally moved! We made sure the two towering black walnut trees were saved...I know many people hate walnut trees but we couldn't bear to part with them.

Thank you again to all of you who post here - we've been lurking for quite some time and have learned lots.

o

I'll preface this post by apologizing for it's length!

TamaraTomNC, we were also told to make our selections before our bidding process to get the most accurate price of our build. It was crazy during that time. I was responsible for keeping the specification document updated at all times. We were living over 3 hours away from where we were building and we would schedule long weekends to do our selections. We found that some places were not open on the weekends and we needed appointments. I remember it was a very stressful time.

Looking back, we've made several changes to our original selections for various reasons: items no longer available; item didn't fit; change of plans; change of mind; more time to think after seeing house with walls and not on paper. We kept so much money aside for this in case materials or contractors ended up costing more . . . which it always seems to do.

While we had a lull in no subs coming, DH finished the closet trimming. DH has also been working on getting some drawer slides in and some cabinet doors installed. He installed the laminate counter-top in the laundry room and installed the sink and faucet. Yesterday, he was finishing up my big pantry cabinet.

Blind cabinet organizer:

photo IMG_4677_zps57230f70.jpg

Laundry counter-top and sink. We have an ice-maker going into the blank area between sink and pull-out cabinet.

photo IMG_4712_zps3639699d.jpg

Pantry cabinet without doors:

photo IMG_4752_zps77221c79.jpg

Pantry cabinet with doors and hardware being installed:

photo IMG_4769_zps13a6040b.jpg

Then we had a lot of activity with subs at the house all week.

The carpenter is finished. He installed the built-in microwave; installed the rods in all the closets; and he and DH built the fireplace mantel.

photo 020F3330-FD4B-4CBB-803D-4AD8B8CEA279_zpsmgmhz9wb.jpg

photo 657B3875-4CAB-49EC-96BF-8C4605E5FA17_zpshup8goxg.jpg

photo 09B36F95-BB26-409C-8F0E-572C58D73BE1_zpsrhn8ng3k.jpg

The plumbers worked all week. They spent a lot of time in the crawl space of which I don't have pics. :-) But, when they came up from down under, I got some pics. They installed two reverse osmosis filtering systems and hot water heater.

photo EEC1B883-38C7-41C8-A7CA-46729E9542A3_zpsuijig3ef.jpg

photo D42C3131-4413-4DAC-93BA-B3ABDAACC5F7_zpsvbk7z0og.jpg

And, trenched for the gas lines to the pole barn for DH's radiant heat.

photo IMG_4767_zpsa31bb228.jpg

Our granite was installed Thursday:

Kitchen counter tops are Sierra Ridge. Turned out to be lighter than I thought it would be, but I'm happy it is since the cabinets are dark.

photo BDBE3BF0-20A7-40D0-9A0A-4C55A3B56E14_zpsvtmsk4ol.jpg

Close-up of counter-tops:

photo 29F4C940-0547-41F3-8189-EED6F913F33B_zpsp2jzykku.jpg

Island granite is Crema Bordeaux

photo 53ED429B-BD95-47CB-9E9A-E085458D9CE3_zpsy0rrjbh4.jpg

Close-up of island with Blanco Cafe Brown sink:

photo 5D26EAFD-2D7B-42FB-9F4A-34D6E87F3934_zpsf207ehzi.jpg

Here is how it looks together:

photo IMG_4763_zpsfba1d1b0.jpg

Master bath with Golden Sand granite and Porcelain Rectangular sinks

photo 75A9CBBC-FD77-4461-A2A2-58BE2BEE91B3_zpsjffpmxlt.jpg

Second bath with Golden Sand granite and oval sink:

photo 19D45423-5281-48AA-B2D1-704D5A378FC7_zps94yqnbji.jpg

And, gutters were installed yesterday:

photo IMG_4764_zps09e6b795.jpg

Plumbers will be back most of next week, too, to finish up. HVAC needs to return for venting and install our kitchen chimney exhaust fan. And electricians need to finish up. Ground is still so wet so I don't know when we'll get those septic laterals dug. Still a big hold-up for us. After the septic is done, they will do final grading and then we can have the concrete poured for walkway, back patio, and driveway.

Our carpenter's wife is going to install our backsplash. Here is the front-runner in our tile selection. Small subway tiles which have a little variation in color. I didn't want something too busy.

photo IMG_4759_zpsa1f191b6.jpg

There is an end in sight! But, depending on weather who knows when that will be!

o

Beautiful Hoosier! Yummy appliances and granite counters. I love crema bordeaux. How big is your island?

o

Thanks, illinigirl! The island is 8 feet long and about 4 feet wide.

We did discover that they didn't seal the kitchen sink all the way around with the silicone. My daughter noticed it last night and DH verified it with a flashlight. A good portion of one side got missed and a couple areas around the back of it. I just got off the phone from the granite sales guy. He will talk with the installation manager on Monday (they don't work on the weekend). DH said he'd seal it if they let him know what sealant to use. I said we figured they would not send an installer down from 4 hours away to fix it. However, we would like to be compensated for the materials and time. He said most definitely they'd make it right. It's always something!!!

o

Happy Fathers Day everyone, all those who have or had fathers, all who are fathers or are married to them. It is a very bittersweet day as I know it is the last fathers day I will have with my father still with us, and he's barely cognizant of those around him now.

Music - love that niche. Can you give us details on the painting technique?
Hoosier, thanks for posting all those pictures. Your home is coming along so nicely. Wonderful details. And your kitchen is so warm and inviting. Re your backsplash tile - sometimes it only comes really evident in photos - but check your color compatibility. Your counters appear to have a golden tone and the undertone on the bs tile appears to have a pink tone. It could be the plastic wrap - but maybe not.

It is always something! You've motivated me to go check the silicone seal on my kitchen sink that got installed while I was gone a week ago.

Tamara, we did all our selections up front, then I spent months going over everything, and creating mood boards, checking for compatibility issues in terms of style etc. And I'd say we probably changed half of our selections. Didn't require change-orders, but did require a good working relationship and communication with the builders office. Our change orders involved moving a wall once it was framed in and we didn't like the size of the upstairs bath. That was big. And changing the size of the heating system, and adding a well and well pump for the landscaping.
They didn't really care if I went into Fergusons and changed my light fixtures 1 time or 10, so long as I knew the cost difference and was willing to pick up the difference, and that I had all my selections finalized before the day they actually ordered.
I would just find out from your builder how firm your selections need to be. If I'd had to live with what I picked out initially our house would look far different! I'm coming from a northern colonial design sensibility and building in the South where I'm going for a more casual, lighter, coastal vibe. It's been a transition. Many of my initial choices reflected my previous design aesthetic, choices I would have made for the other houses I've owned.

Today we get wallpaper in our powder room! Floors were stained yesterday and are drying this weekend. Double stain coat so they want 4 dry days. My upholstery fabric samples are coming in and I'm loving the way it's coming together!! So exciting again. Finally.

o

mlweaving_Marji, thanks for telling me about the backsplash. I hate how photos can change depending on what device I'm looking on. I will definitely check about the undertones. I don't want pink!!!! :-O

Can't wait to see your floors and fabric samples.

I'm going to need help with what to do in my window seat areas now that we don't have window seats. I'm torn whether to have DH build some or whether to use furniture in those areas. This isn't anything that will prevent us moving in, but it's going to bug me.

o

Be careful about double staining. Apparently the top coat can peel.

http://blog.basiccoatings.com/2013/09/26/double-staining-double-trouble/

http://hardwoodfloorsmag.com/articles/article.aspx?articleid=1621&zoneid=3

o

Not much new, but I figured I'd show a couple pics of the siding. I'm putting a coat of the finish paint on the siding before hanging it, so it's slow going. It's a tricky color to capture with the camera, so one picture is on a sunny day; one is in the rain. You can see my crude mock-up of the 'elephant leg' upper columns I'm messing around with. It will look better with the cap over the top of the stone.

We've had a week of afternoon storms, which leaves everything wet until noon, then the storms roll in again. I retreated inside and primed a couple rooms. I'm also building the deck on the back. This deck is the height of the main floor, so with the walk-out it is some 10' off the ground. It finally penetrated my limited wit that if I built the deck first, it raises me up to the main level without resorting to dragging scaffolding back and forth while siding and painting. I'll have deck pics in a few weeks.

photo 008-4.jpg

photo 011-3.jpg

o

Marji- I saw the Martha Stewart metallics being discontinued at HD, so I got as much of the silica tinted putty in the Frost shade as I could find, and troweled it onto the surface of the niche, putting the heaviest texture out towards the edges where it will show when I hang something in there. I waited a day to let that set up and then I brushed random x's into the texture with silver metallic paint and a small brush. There is another step that I might decide to use, but I liked the way the two steps turned out- so I will have to wait and see if I change my mind. The last thing I would do if I went a step further is to
highlight the ridges with a cream wash using a rag... you just touch the ridges with your fingertips and that is all. You can also pick a dark color too- but it's a mess if you make a mistake. The light plays off the metallics at different angles as you move through the hallway, so it's not a static impression you get as in the pic. Here is a different shot of it looking left from the main entry.

o

Musicgal, I read the line about the round windows as being for "looking out on the dam kids". :-)

DH wants a hidden room. He has always wanted one. I'm not sure where we could put it. The main floor only has doors into the mudroom and the powder room. I don't think we've got space for it there. We could put it on the furnace room, but then we're not finishing the basement right away (possibly never). Maybe on the office on the 2nd floor. The office is open to the 3rd floor loft. So it might be neat to go up to the 3rd floor and look down into a room you can't get into? Hmm. I saw the Houzz article in my weekly email. And DH sent me a link to a company that sells hidden door hardware, so I think he must have read it. :P

It turns out the basement is not as high as DH expected. When the architect said 9', he meant 8'8" to the bottom of the joists. (He's done that a lot throughout the house, he rounds everything up.) And then we had a 12" beam in the basement below the joists, bringing it down to 7'8". So we spent a day considering options. Dig the basement lower? Different beams? In the end, we've decided on a semi-recessed beam that hangs 6" below the joists. The joists will be on hangers and give us 6" above that for running plumbing and ducts. And now if DH complains that he can't use a chin-up bar there without whacking his head, I'll whack him in the head. :-)

Got another quote on the stairs. We're down to $85k. I think these people are out to lunch. The stairs alone are $49k, which isn't too far off what we expected, and there are some things we can do to trim that quite a bit more. But the railings alone, they want $36k!!!! For RAILINGS!!!! And there's really nothing special there. That's more than we're spending on windows! And we're going high end on the windows! It's also more than the entire kitchen, including cabinets, stone counters and flooring. DH may have to build those himself. He talked to BIL, who forwarded us the estimates from his last project, $3k for stairs and $2k for railings. But, it's not really comparable, since they did carpet grade stairs, whereas we're looking at solid wood treads. And they had more walls around their stairs, so we need a lot more railing than they had. But still, not 18 times as much railing. So, I have some calls to make tomorrow, and it looks like we won't be having one company do all the stairs. (This was the only company we could find that would do metal and wood.)

o

amberm- that's funny about the dam misreading:-)

There are two secret doors in the house. I remember seeing the movie made based on The Diary of Anne Franke as a young girl, and how their bookcase passage protected the family as long as it did. Then of course, the Chronicles of Narnia. Somewhere online, there is a picture of a wardrobe with an open back that leads into a playroom. I couldn't quite pull that off, but two relatively utilitarian spaces are hidden and charmingly accessible. Hallway, bedroom and study walls can be treated with secret passages. I won' t be able to afford everthing I wanted originally in the house, but we kept a bit of the whimsy.

Been thinking about your stair situation. Wow... what a process you have had to go through with pricing all that! Here's a pic you might like-

o

Oh, I have to be sure not to let DH see that. It's probably cheaper than what we're looking at now.

My step father suggested an elevator. He thought he was kidding, but there are houses on our street that have elevators. And at these prices, I'm thinking that might be a great idea. :P

o

Hoosier- Love your progress, and I especially love your garage doors! What brand/model are they or are they custom?

mlweaving- Thanks for the input. I think we'll be OK- like you said, as long as we realize we pick up the difference if we change a selection to something more expensive.

MushCreek- I really like that color!

o

Looking good Hoosier. I hope that yard starts to dry out so you can get everything done soon.

Musicgal, you're niche looks beautiful.

Amberm, the numbers on the stairs is crazy. Maybe you should just ask for wood and have them drill holes and you and DH can go buy some steel cables and put them in yourselves. That's what we would do.

Mushcreek, I love your siding. Do you already have a hummingbird feeder hanging on the porch or am I seeing things?

Mlweaving, as soon as those floors are dry we need to see pictures. I'm glad you're having fun again. Even though it has been some long hard days of work, I can say that I am really loving every second of it and if it wasn't for money, it wouldn't be stressful at all for me. And DH and I have no trouble getting along and making compromises along the way. Its really quite shocking.

Tamara, congrats on getting started. Good call on saving the trees.

I finally made one countertop choice. For the counter in the laundry room, I am going with Formica Seagrass Strand. It's a little bit modern but I love the color of it. In fact, I like it so much that I'm considering putting it in my kitchen. I want to check all of my options first of course. I wish I had a picture of it or a link but it doesn't look the same on the computer anyway. Meanwhile, we are waiting for the sheetrock crew to finish making a mess so that we can get in there and start painting. Have a good week my peeps.

o

TamaraTomNC, thanks for your compliments on our garage doors. They are Accents by C.H.I. steel carriage doors in a factory-mahogany-finish. Unfortunately, they are being replaced already. The finish started chipping and peeling. Our carpenter has the exact same doors. His were replaced for the same reason and his replacement doors are starting to chip. We are hoping they are able to remedy the factory problem. The doors do have a lifetime warranty as long as you are the original owners.

o

The inside mechanical and electrical work is moving slow, but the brick layers are really working hard. One 3 man crew completed this in 2 days, I was very surprised at how fast they worked (and pleased that the fast work is very good quality).

o

Yes, that's a hummingbird feeder- good eye! We already live on-site, so we garden and feed birds. Our official 'move in' will be much different than most of you experience, since we already live here, and since I'm building everything, there are no big surprises from day to day (I hope not, anyhow!). Eventually, we'll get a certificate of occupancy, and then move our furniture in- from the barn, 125 feet away.

o

Mush- how does that work , as far as living there. Do you have to get a permit or a CofO to be in temporary quarters? I would have loved to be onsite that much... I think?

Indiana- your brickwork is going up extremely fast! Grout looks great.

Hoosier, I know you are disappointed about your window seats. I ran across some chests that look just like a windowseat online at Home Decorators I think. They were so cute, I almost kicked myself for doing built- ins.

Carson- where art thou? Did you get your temporary road put in?

Today, I am up at the worksite putting out fires. Appliances WOULD arrive the week of the driveway stamping:/ Life is good though. Very, very good. We all are blessed.

This post was edited by musicgal on Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 14:56

o

Technically, we live in the barn ;^) We do need not anyone's permission to camp on-site or even in the barn. We can't legally live in the house until we get a CO. We did stay at a friend's cabin during some of the coldest part of winter.

I would be on-site constantly anyhow, since I am doing 95% of the work myself. It's my full-time job!

o

Hoosier- I'm sorry to hear about your doors! How frustrating. :( They're beautiful. I hope the issue can be resolved and you can get new ones to enjoy for a long time.

o

musicgal -- have you considered this for your niche????

I *love* the bling!!!

o

Oooh- that's perty:-) I might consider redoing the niche after I lose a few pounds.

Good to hear from you CH. I think you must have rounded up all the dirt in South Texas. My GC was sorrowful Jones telling the concrete guy he didn't have any dirt for him yet. I blame Exxon!

o

Hello Everyone! I've been sooooo busy now that I live where my build is!! I am over there sometimes 3 times a day answering questions and figuring things out. Perfect time to move out here, just when the framers are finishing up!! Here are a few pics….

Here is our Master tub that they just framed out this morning.

o

Here is a pic of the front of our house with the windows installed...

o

Here is the fireplace in the Great Room. I was able to stand inside of it for a quick pic!! Lol!

o

So here I am on the old iPhone still....cable company did the survey from the wrong location. So after tons of calls they now need to order another one and we wait and hope they show up at the right address this time. GPS does not map correctly to our home.

What's new: ordered my wood hollow drawer inserts-yay! Dh is ordering lumber for the barn. Metal lathe is on the front. Waiting for a dry stretch to install the stone. Our shingles needs to be replaced. There was a bad batch in the mix so the mfg is paying for a whole new install. I do not see grass in the near future... :O. Still looking at backsplashes for the kitchen....in my 'spare' time. Lol. One of these days I will take a couple pics of the inside ad post. We are not at all 'decorated', but we are kinda less is more people.

Side note:love the covered porch rain and shine it's awesome. Love listening to the rain fall from the trees and the gagillion different bird calls. Home. :)

Mush-wow things are moving-your siding looks great.

Robbbyyyyynnnnnn-can you believe it?!?! Just like that it looks like a house!!!

Musicgal-those secret doors are so cool. What is not to like about them young or old? I can't wait I see what you put in your niche, looks good already.

J-gonna get your paint on? Whoop whoop! I can't wait to see the sea salt. Wishing I had remembered to use it! May the brush be with you.

Marjorie-I bet it was bitter sweet. (Hugs). So any new pics to share? Wall paper perhaps??

So the new fridge has quite a bit of condensation going on. Hmmm. Not sure what to make of that.

o

MushCreek - I would love to live on site but I'm sure the contractors would truly hate me and pray for me to go to work everyday...lol. I guess you don't have to worry about that since you are the only one working. Your house is turning out beautiful.

Robyn - You remind me of some of my parents' old family vacation photos where there is a grinning kid posing in an old jail cell somewhere in Arizona...lol. Your windows look awesome and that tub will be a great place to relax and unwind.

Indiana - Your house is coming along nicely. The brick looks beautiful.

Autumn - Y'all are building a barn now? It wasn't enough to build a house? Lol...can't wait to see it. Our painting starts this weekend and I can't wait to enjoy our porch the way you are enjoying yours.

We've been trying to get the materials for the carport. Apparently, 28 foot lengths of metal is an oddity and it is going to cost us an arm and a leg. Of course it is. I would be more shocked if it didn't. Going to buy paint tomorrow to get ready for this weekend. We will start painting the interior. It will be nice to see some color on the walls. With our work schedules and baseball, we are expecting it to take us a couple of weeks to paint. If all goes well. Good day, all.

o

We've had plumbers with us for 1-1/2 weeks. Making great progress. Painters have also been out all this week doing all the stain touch-ups and started putting another coat of paint on the walls. Main painter suggested he use a mildew paint for the shower ceiling. Going with that.

We had another set-back. DH discovered Monday evening after unboxing our refrigerator that the fridge cabinet he built was 3" too small! Poor guy was sick. He was ready to pull out the cabinet and try to remake it. I told him to step away from the situation and we'd talk about it. We ended up exchanging the fridge for a smaller model which is being delivered this morning. We also bought a small fridge for the laundry room. I've always liked having a second fridge and we were planning on getting one.

Autumn, tell me about the drawer inserts and where you ordered them. I need to look into that stuff. You'll need to stick around with us if you are building a barn!

JDez, sorry about the cost of the carport materials. My new motto has become, I'm not surprised by any problems and additional costs. Just want to be done with it. Good luck with your painting.

Robyn, love your fireplace photo! That's a big fireplace! I bet you are very busy now that you moved close to your new home.

Indiana, are you in Southern IN? Only reason is that we see a lot of brick down here. Not many people use hardie and stone like we have. Your brick looks good!

musicgal, I started looking at houzz again regarding window-seat alternatives. I looked at the Home Decorators website and saw some cute benches. I still think I need to wait until after we moved and have our furniture in to see how it would all look. Thanks for the suggestion. When the time comes, I'll probably ask for help in the decorating forum.

o

A crucial element to understanding contractor-speak... if they say they are going to start Monday, expect things to really start in a week or two. But, I now have no driveway hole anymore. Hooray.

o

Musicgal, your house looks great! I like your exterior colors.

New fridges have been delivered and main one installed.

photo 8565BEB1-7676-4851-8CF3-7F4BC87CB156_zps9j4jukxm.jpg

DH installed trash compactor:

photo 0E980BA5-B73F-43E5-B194-9D7FAEFEA00F_zpsavzycg8c.jpg

How much equipment can you install under the sink?

photo 917E609F-4636-4732-BFFC-BADF9EB0BFDD_zpsgibpyy4l.jpg

DH shrink-wrapped the toilet seats so no one will use them. Teehee

photo C573CF8C-37D7-4316-A62B-15E7B9A1245E_zpsaqakz4ec.jpg

o

Hoosier, We are near Terre Haute. There are 3 large brick manufacturing facilities within 20 miles of us, so we had quite a selection.

o

Hoosier- the fridge looks great there. Your husband does good work:)
Yep... that's the ticket to wrap those toilets.That's a good idea for us next week when all our plumbing starts to be finished.

The guys are still working on tile over here. Here's a pic into the master bedroom from the bathroom.

(Really dirty looking in the picture... but I dont have to clean it...yet:-)

This post was edited by musicgal on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 16:46

o

Hoosiers-your poor dh! Fridges are such a pain. I was sweating ours but thankfully it fit. Looking good. I agree with the others on the window seat/alternative-wait until you are in and it may be much easier to visualize what you want with all of your stuff moved in. I bought my drawer inserts from wood hollow on eBay. 1 large utensil insert, 1 cutlery and 1 a combo spice and small utensil (measuring spoons small whisks, mixer attachments) insert-it's a large one.

J-yeah well we set aside cash from our house sale before we built to build it so no bank involvement, hallelujah! I got to thinking what do you do with all your seasonal stuff without a basement? I cannot comprehend it. The barn is for the mower and snow blower and bikes and hunting stuff and....yeah- Stuff! Of course it's pricey and 'special size', pfft. You knew it would be. Is there any other way?

Music-I love those round windows! Congrats on the driveway, exciting stuff!

Holding pattern...I did buy a set of everyday (only kind we have) drinking glasses from bed bath and beyond...starting fresh with no etch marks.

It's Friday tomorrow, woot woot!

o

Great tile, musicgal. I am planning to use something similar. But I'm thinking I'll have it laid in a herringbone.

o

Amberm-ohhhh, herringbone, yes! I would love that but dh not so much...even for a backsplash. :/

Musicgal-amen to not having to clean it yet. Although when we moved in and I cleaned it I felt like that is all I had been doing and reminisced about cleaning the subfloor multiple times with a shop vac. :)

Cable install June 30.....could it be true?!?!

o

Love seeing all the progress! We won't live near our new house until August so I will have to continue to be satisfied with pictures. I did get to go and see the start of framing yesterday. We are now trying to decide if it is better to finish the basement now or later. The original plan was later but several people have suggested it will be easier/cheaper now.

o

Quick update for me. This end stage is crazy with decisions. We have selected everything, but there are still tons of details that need attention. Hopefully we are about 3 weeks out!

Brick floors going in the back hallway and the laundry room: photo imagejpg3.jpg photo imagejpg2-2.jpg
Appliances delivered! photo imagejpg2-1.jpg
Tile in Master done, epoxy grout on order: photo imagejpg1-36.jpg
Lights installed over garage doors:
 photo imagejpg7.jpgPorch ready for screen and outdoor fireplace complete: photo imagejpg1-39.jpg
Grading is being done and sprinkler system goes in next week. Landscaping to follow. Countertops will hopefully go in next week as well. Finish electrical will continue along with finish plumbing. Hope to get some A/C going soon!!!

o

Autumn, keeping fingers crossed for your cable. Thanks for the drawer insert info. I found two of the three you mentioned. Didn't see a combo with spice and utensils. I'd be interested in that one, too.

Crafty_Granny, glad you were able to see the framing started. That was so exciting for us. You'll have a lot of things to do and see once you move closer to your build.

Jackson, beautiful finishes! Maybe we'll both be moving in around the same time.

We are having problems with our geothermal AC unit. It stops running after it has been on for 1 hour. HVAC guy came by last night and added more water and it was running after that. But, when DH went down this morning, it wasn't. Another text sent to our HVAC guy. :-( It's been so hot and humid so not comfortable working conditions.

The good news . . . 3 loads of dirt were delivered this morning. We hope that means our excavator is getting ready to dig those septic laterals and spread some dirt around today. Yahoo!!!

o

Starting to look more like home at our place. Our plumbing/electrical/hvac completed and passed inspection, so moved on to insulation & drywall. Mud, tape, & skim looks ready to start.

And just to make things interesting, we're leaving for a month of travel, so we had to load our next 4 weeks of decisions (paint, floors, lights, decking, stone) into the last 7 days. Been painting sample boards till the wee hours, early morning drives to pick up tile samples in the next state over. Cabs should be delivered while we're gone too, so we'll return to some big changes.

o

Everything looks great!!!

Crafty/Granny - We were not going to finish our basement either but now that I am working with the subs I am finding that is A LOT cheaper to have them do it now than to come in later. We are now finishing ALL of the basement!! I don't even know how that one happened. Just snuck up. I am making sure that I have them each bid it out separately, though, so I know exactly how much more it will be.

I went over today and the framers are making my stage in the basement!! Sooooo excited for this!! It is right next to my dance studio and a perfect gathering place for kids and families.

My house is a HOT MESS right now! I have the heating & air guys, the framers, plumbing, and the excavator is outside digging the trench for the plumbing/sewage. The electrician comes on Tuesday! They are trying to get things doubled up so that we can move in by September. I am meeting with the landscaper next week. Let's hope that he can stay in my modest budget! We are going to go very simple for now and add more later.

Here is the stage earlier today…

o

jackson -- love that master tile! Can you provide details? :)

o

Framers showed up today to begin framing. YAY!!!!!

photo DD05D6A1-D85B-4962-84D3-87D278D9A925_zps4fgehqib.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the lumber company. They have everything stacked neatly behind the slab :)

o

Yay Carson!!!

o

Carson, it's Coto d'este exedra calacatta porcelain. I think they manufacture it and Artistic rebrands it (and triples the price). I ordered it online for ~$8/ft. My tile guy laid everything out to make the veins line up, he really did awesome.

o

Jackson-looks great. Wow a lot of changes since you last posted pics. So exciting to start seeing finish materials in the house! :). I like that tile also...and the brick. Very cool.

Oicu812-oh I hope you can relax and enjoy your traveling (I think I would be so antsy to see). What fun to come back to all that progress.

Hoosiers-so I have a really wide one that I knew was too big for all spices. I read on here somewhere that they would combine but you pay for both organizers (a spice and a utensil) even though it is one drawer. I bit the bullet because I knew either way I would end up with essentially 4. They did cut a little off of cost since I was ordering a few. I am ready to start using them! I have my spices in the drawer as a demo to be sure it was what I wanted and they slide around a lot right now. Once I get the organizers I can better situate everything. Right now it has a few stray miscellaneous items like tape measures and taco seasoning packets!

Carsonheim-woot woot! Yeah!

Robyn-I think you are right about the basement finishing value. I wanted to but we just couldn't swing it and it was too much to focus on. Your stage looks great.

Crafty granny-I am sure it is hard to be patient living far from the build but summer is already flying by and you will be there in no time!

Where is ladybrowncoat???

o

Autumn4 - What do we do with our seasonal stuff? What seasonal stuff? We only have about 3 months of winter here. Jackets in the coat closet by the front entrance and camo in the 3rd bedroom closet. That's all the seasonal stuff we have. Our winters are very mild, this year being the exception to the norm. I would love to have a basement, though. All that extra storage room would be nice. But Mike Holmes is forever having to fix basements on TV. And...yes, where is Ladybrowncoat? I bet her house is already finished and we didn't even get pictures.

o

Our counter tops went in today! Here is a closeup of the kitchen, since the glare of the window and no lights make it hard to see what it looks like from a distance.

o

On the other hand the master bath counter tops were quite a surprise.
One piece of advice, bring a bright white flash light when looking at remnants in warehouses.....
We never saw the purple, it looked dark gray.....
oh well, purple has never been on my list of favorite colors but the counter tops goes really well with the gray vanity and floors.

o

They both look beautiful Tulips! Love them!

o

musicgal- your house is looking great. I love the exterior. We don't see that style of home very much around here- it's nice to see something unique!

Robyn- your house is looking very house-like! Nice windows :)

Autumn- Good luck on the cable and the barn! That's a great storage idea.

OICU- hope you have fun travels and come back to great things in your home!

Yay for framing Carson and Granny! Big changes coming fast!

Tulips- both your granites are really pretty.

My update. Well what can I say, we are closing in fast. Almost everything is done. Everything will be done by July 3- that's the day the final coat goes on the floors. It will have the long weekend to cure and then inspections to follow. They give the cleaning ladies two full weeks to clean so we are still planning on a July 18 move in date. I think those two weeks will be the hardest to wait of all, but we will be so busy with packing and perhaps starting to move things over to the garage. So much to be done.

The things that will not be done by move in have to do with exterior landscaping. We have significant landscaping to be done and we will not be rushed into it. We are trying to decide what we want to do first with the hardscaping, which will need to be done before we seed lawn, which they can do as early as mid August (but we are in no rush until we get the plans laid down). I tell you the landscaping plans take as much thought as the house plan did. And it's busy season so it's hard to get a hold of the landscapers to discuss the plans. frustrating.

o

JDez-Christmas decorations??? Well I guess that it, just Christmas decor and no winter items. Oy. Winter does come with a lot of stuff!!!

Tulips-very nice! I have a bit of pink in a few small spots that didn't look quite so pink in the warehouse. Unless you are right on top of it I don't think you'd notice. I just told myself well that is nature. It is what it is!

Illini-that will be here before you know it! All the colors turn out for you and dh? We are busy growing weeds over here...

o

Autumn - ohhhh....that kind of seasonal stuff. We added a heated/cooled storage closet upstairs for that kind of stuff. In the past, it's always been stuffed into another closet somewhere so I'm excited to have the new storage space.

Illini - I am already thinking about landscaping too. We are going to have to do that after we move in. Like Autumn, we have a weed farm right now.

Tulips - I think both countertops are beautiful.

Jackson - your house is gorgeous.

Carson - Congrats. It's good to finally see some lumber in your pics.

Crafty G - Congrats to you too. I love to see your pretty views.

Oicu812 - You've got a lot going on...lol. I don't know how you can stand to stay away but it will be nice for y'all to get away. It might be your first vacation ever that you'll be excited to come back home....lol.

Musicgal - bet you're loving that new driveway.

Hoosier - I love your appliances. The fridge is beautiful. I hope you get your septic done this coming week.

Painting today, and tomorrow, and the next day, and the next, and the next...

o

Tulips, your granite is very pretty even though you were surprised by the purple.

Illini, we have a bid from a post-construction cleaning company. They have a large crew who do top to bottom cleaning including windows inside and out. They do it in one day.

Speaking of cleaning, DH and I have to do some cleaning this weekend. The painters want to finish up on Monday. They want the garage cleaned up so they can put a final coat on the walls. Plus, we need to get appliance boxes broken down and out of there. Our daughter likes to use cardboard in her garden in-between rows. She'll have her pick of what she wants! We also have to do some outside pick-up before the excavator shows up. If the AC is working, I think I'll stick in the inside.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

o

Hoosier,
I'm not sure what takes them so long and how many are in the crew. I will ask. I know they do the windows too. I was a little surprised to hear the length of time taken for cleaning also.

Autumn- yes we are happy with everything. All the colors really turned out nice and the selections really came together. Some of my kitchen hardware is on backorder so that's another item I'm waiting on. But all the knobs, latches and the size of pull I use the most on the drawers. The largest size and the smallest size aren't here. So that's about 8 drawers/pullouts that are missing out of the whole kitchen. Not terrible. Also the bath hardware had an error where two of the pulls were sent in the wrong size/color.

o

JDez-that sounds like the ultimate walk in closet! Plus we have things like coolers, picnic basket, minor camping gear (I am sure you can tell I am not the camping type unless it's in the backyard lol), tennis rackets. Your storage area sounds perfect. Paint on lady, paint on. You can do it!!!

Illini-yay. Glad it all ended well with both of you liking them. I did go throug a parade house yesterday-north side of holland. It is a virtual one on line also. Anyhow, interesting to see....eat in banquette and NO dining room (it has one but they are using it for a sitting room). None whatsoever with 4 kids. I thought that was kind of strange. The banquette looked great for breakfast and games but I think for dinner everyday maybe not? Or holidays? Our hardware had been Installed in stages and we had to wait on the medium size. Sounds like it's just about buttoned up! Kids excited to move?

We are getting plenty of rain...

o

So I wrote a post either this morning or yesterday (the days are running together and this morning feels like a long time ago right now). Evidently my brain has gone to mush, because I must have failed to hit the "post it" button.
So, everyone whose houses have pictures above, know that I looked at them and took the time to comment. I'm so sorry that I didn't actually post the comments!

We finally have stain on the floors. And the shopping I've been doing is for upholstery fabrics to redo the furniture that we kept.
The dining room

our old dining room, and the upholstery that is in great shape but it's all RED and Gold!

The drapery fabric that is going into our dining room -- purchased from Brickhouse Fabrics almost a year ago. It's a linen from Stroheim and Roman. I ordered samples of the peacock upholstery for the end arm chairs from Brickhouse and a sample of the cut velvet for the side chair seats from Mood in NYC. It all works, so I've ordered it. Woo hoo.
I also found a great fabric for the living room sofa. It's on order from a local store.

o

Autumn - Thanks for the vote of confidence on the painting! I guess the rain is delaying your stone work? I hope it clears up soon.

Mlweaving - Your floors are gorgeous and the overall pic of what I assume is the DR is just beautiful. Your upholstery will look so nice with your paint choices.

My boss has given me some extra days off to paint. This means we will get done much faster than we thought. Yay!! Also, I had the bright idea to go online and look at doorbell buttons and I found some towel bars for the bathroom that are a perfect match to our bathroom faucets. Yes, I should be excited but I was planning on buying cheapos and these (the Canfield Collection from Rejuvination) are pricey. But dang it, I have to have them. It's non-negotiable. Never did see a doorbell button that I really liked. Of all things to be picky about. Yep. A doorbell button. Ridiculous.

o

tulips- I showed my husband the picture of your bathroom granite, and he liked the way the purple livened up the stone, and he is not a big "purple" lover so you must have done something very right in the choosing of that stone.

I spent the week supervising the tile, granite and driveway guys. Still have a few loose ends to tie up this week. Waiting to make final payment on granite until I go over it with a fine tooth comb. Being there at installation prevented a few mistakes but it still didn't turn out perfectly... mostly looks beautiful, but I am worn out trying to catch the guys before they drill holes for the wrong faucets, or glue the sinks under the slabs off-center. How it works is, I check the work- talk to the GC who talks to the guys- who fix it if they can. The guys are nice, but sometimes they make assumptions about the way something should be... like my island sink placement. The fabricator gave me too much of a margin between the front of the sink and the edge which would have placed my faucet in the microwave drawer space. Law of physics precludes that, so I had to place the faucet to the side.

carson- so exciting that your timber is ready to go! That's a great time watching the frame go up.

illini- thanks for the nice words. As the driveway and the retaining wall are finished and dressed, the elevation starts to emerge from the architect's drawings. I am truly excited about getting a lawn in and remediating the side yard that has been more of a quarry than a lakeside nirvana. I'll know we're back to normal when the deer start venturing down into the backyard for a drink.

On this longest day of the year, I woke up at five to pack up to come home for the day... spending quality time with DH, DD and GD while her Dad is at drill with the National Guard. We are going back tomorrow so my husband can check out the work in progress. I've decided not to post any pics tonight because there are a lot of reveals right around the corner, but I wanted to at least show you the jobsite mascot. Happy summer solstice!

o

Musicgal, one of the stipulations our granite people had was that one of us had to be there at all time of the install. We were so happy and lucky that our plumbers were there at the same time. The most discussion occurred amongst all of us regarding all the holes to be drilled. For some reason I was the only one who brought up the issue that I wanted the garbage disposal button on the side of the garbage disposal. All the rest kept wanting to put it on the opposite end. I know how I use my sink.

Mlweaving, your floors are beautiful. I love your fabric choices! Your home is going to be magazine perfect!

We had an exhausting hot day yesterday. At least the AC was working for the inside work. Excavator didn't show for septic but DH did get a ton cleaned up and burned or thrown in dumpster. I did a lot of cleanup and organizing of DH's tools inside and we got the second fridge and freezer unboxed and moved into the laundry room. Tight space but enough room to still stand comfortably behind laundry sink cabinet and can open cabinet doors with room to spare. Whew! I think we are finally done with the majority of cardboard boxes. So tired of all the breaking down and getting rid if styrofoam. We moved all the leftover ceramic tile to the attic two tiles at a time. That stuff is so heavy! We still have a lot to do today.

o

Gorgeous photos by all. I love to see everyone's progress. I don't have any photos today but an update and vent on the last few weeks. Presently I am sitting in a small town in Alaska having traveled to my best friend's sons wedding which happened yesterday. Prior to getting on the plane and even with the phone glued to my ear as I was boarding, I was picking out plumbing fixtures for the hundredth time as we try to trim costs and still get the look we desire. I was planning on going and living near our build site this summer to be more on hand, but due to family issues, both good and bad, weddings and funeral, I have been home in Texas while building in Colorado. Btw, carsonheim, we may be distance neighbors as my daughter used to play golf at a course that I think is near you

Things I have learned in the process.

1. The budget is not fixed. We are building cost plus and we hoped to have every thing picked out before a shovel was put in the ground:). Alas that was not the case and rather than being fixed, it's more of a living breathing organism:))

2. It's much harder picking out every little detail and coordinating every aspect than I thought. Sometimes it's fun and energizing and other times it's a joy sucker!

3. I'm still glad we did it and I just hope when it's all done it is what we want at the current price or lower, not higher yet again lol

Thanks for letting me vent. Someone else, is building near terre haute, same daughter who plays golf, played at rose hulman and graduated from there. Such a pretty area, green rolling hills. When I get home, I'll have more photos I hope

o

Just a quick photo from the car on the way to wedding of the cook inlet

o

Looking forward to being able to update our own build soon. We will FINALLY be breaking ground this Thursday (weather permitting). It has been 10 years since we purchased our land for this build. I can hardly wait!

o

Just a quick kitchen photo.:
I'm very pleased with the cabinets and the tight clearances between drawers. Latches go on upper uppers.

[IMG] photo 0621141626b.jpg[/IMG]

o

Illini, your kitchen looks fabulous!

HarringK, my son also graduated from Rose-Hulman. 2007.

o

Illini-that looks great! Love the white dove and that marble, so pretty-ads just enough dimension and interest. Two thumbs up!

Marjorie-your color pallet is so fresh and inviting. Can't wait to see the fabrics in place!

o

Mlweaving, 2010, small world :)

o

JDez-enjoy your work hiatus for marathon painting!

Harringk-enjoy Alaska-looks gorgeous. It's on the bucket list!

Cable survey #2 complete and yes it was finally determined that we CAN get service and......in will be within 30 days. 30?!?! Come ON PEOPLE!

Received some backsplash samples the mail. I am really liking the mother of pearl mini brick-interest without adding yet another color. There is one other I like, it's more linear and I wonder of maybe too modern because of that. I like the neutral colors. I will try to post a link from work.

Happy Monday!

o

We're in the final stretch now and at this point I am celebrating small victories. Finished the feature wall in the dining room Saturday. I love how it turned out.

o

Granite was set on the island. Love this combo with the copper sink. Still need to select tile backsplash.

o

illini_ your kitchen is beautiful

We are moving along, witht he 2nd floor framing starting this week.

o

NW - I love your feature wall! Looks like some wood I've been eyeing. Care to share your source?

o

Hobart- I love your feature wall! What are you putting on there? some art maybe? or a hutch? Also love your granite- what is it called? It is a stunning combo with the copper sink. Just beautiful!

Thanks all for the kitchen compliments. I am happy with how it came together. Somehow I personally think the marble backsplash DOES work with my granite island. The colors are spot on and the patterns in the same room don't bother me a bit. Plus DH was realllllly pushing for it so I said OK. The granite really does not photograph it's true beauty. There are tons of mica sparkles (some really large ones and some tiny but they are all over) and even some coppery flecks that are in the darkest charcoal/black veins. Just love it.

o

Woo frickin' Hoo!!!

photo 9A2FA275-C204-4391-944D-639760247D6D_zpsezr3hped.jpg

o

Thanks for the compliments on my feature wall.

lmccarly - The wood is actually Hickory hardwood flooring by Hallmark Wood Floors in the Organics Collection. It is even better in person. Since there is plumbing in this wall we glued it to the sheer wall with Bostics Best Glue (we left drywall off knowing we were doing a feature wall here.)

illinigirl - This is the dining room so yes, the intent is for there to be a buffet or hutch with a piece of art or a mirror above it. And the granite is leathered Kayrus.

o

NWHobart, love that feature wall and your kitchen run. Such a beautiful sink set off by that granite!
Illini, I like your marble backsplash too. You say it as if someone said they didn't think it went together? We got ours in this past week. There is a lot more grey in our tiles than I anticipated. But it's still all good. Thought I got a picture, but alas...
Today I hope to order our washer and dryer.
Autumn, just for you

o

Marjorie-ohhhh. Very nice! It looks like you are getting close! What is the tentative date range? How is that for nailing it down, lol!

Hobart-cool idea for a feature wall. Your kitchen is going to be stunning as well. Keep posting pics. :)

Carson-oh what a feeling, I remember it well! Congrats!

o

Thanks for the compliments on my granite :)
mlweaving_Marji - what kind of wood floors do you have and what color did you stain them?
We are about to stain ours and I'm stressed over picking the color. We have a character grade white oak and I'd like to do something different. I really like the color depth you get in reclaimed floors and wish we could make them look like that. Has anyone done something like this before? I'm not talking about beating them with chains...I don't really care for that look, I'm just looking for the color.

o

mlweaving -- I *LOVE* that wallpaper! So pretty. I am definitely a wallpaper person. I have a lot of it going into my own home.

o

Been painting. Got some pics with my phone.

Here's the kitchen. Creamy. Pictures don't show how nice this paint color is.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Here is the hall bath. Sea Salt. Pic came out really grainy because it's dark in there.

Main living.

These next two are the Master Bedroom. Cascade Green.

My favorite color in the house in DS's room. He had picked a Glidden paint and I didn't want to go to WM to get it, so I found the closest thing I could find at Sherwin Wills. It's called Jubilee. The pic doesn't do it justice. Very soothing, calm color.

These next three rooms are all the same color. I love the color in the laundry room but it's dark in there right now because drywall is covering the window opening where stained glass will go. I love it in the Master Bath also. In the third bedroom, with lots of natural light, I don't like it. It's too bright. So I'm hoping that the right window treatment will tone it down. Ben's Tranquility.

Laundry

Master Bath

3rd bedroom

All of the closets were painted BM Chantilly Lace which is the same as the ceilings and trim. Didn't think we need to show pics of that.

o

JDez-lookin good girl! Love the tones of all of your choices. Frustratingly weird how light or lack thereof can really turn a color. Ds liking his room? So how much more do you have to do?

o

Autumn - tomorrow we will just be touching up and putting another coat on the LR. Then, no painting left until we do the doors and trim. Hoping to put some cypress on the walls before the week is over too. Then, we can have the cabinets delivered. And yes, VERY frustrating that the paint looks different in that front bedroom. I am tempted to paint over it but at this point, I just want to quit painting and quit spending money on paint...lol.

o

JDez- Right now I feel that I've made a couple of mistakes with paint, and it's based on the same circumstances. The lighting from one room to another totally changes the exact same paint color. In my house, western light pulls too much blue from my lazy grays and morning fog. In the east and south light exposures, they are are perfect cool grays. It looks baby blue in the master... not what I wanted. Fortunately, that's an easy fix for us since half that bath is tiled.

Funny paint story- I wanted to lighten my Toile Red somewhat by cutting it with white paint, to bring up the tone a bit. So I watched my painter pour in cups... then a gallon, then more, with nary a change. He was running out of room in his big bucket when he said it would have been cheaper to put a little red into a lot of white! That shade of red is a fighter. It wants to stay saturated. Will take pictures soon. We've made a lot of progress.

carson- one day when I have nothing to do (ha,ha), I may come drive by your build site. I need to find my marble backsplash and struck out in the Woodlands today... so I forsee a trip to CS in the near future. I need a new set of tires.

o

Flooring is started just today..oh my i'm so happy to see my choice and confirm that i love it as much as I thought i would. i've been second guessing myself for weeks. Wall covering is a work in progress, American clay for the main floor. I looove it. Tiling is also happening though no pictures to share of that just yet. On the exterior front we finally have color on the siding! On track for an August move in and finally, stuff is happening!
floorwall photo P1000738.jpg\

sidepaint photo sidepaint.jpg

o

Jdez-that was amazingly FAST! Impressive...but you resisted the temptation to repaint. Lol! I re painted 3 rooms. The office, the pantry (no windows and seemed too dark-used another color I had surplus of) and the main living area. All after only one coat thankfully. I hear ya in cost too. Still cheaper than labor though.

Music-ohh can't wait to see the red!

Niteshades-awesome feeling when finish materials start going in! Love the board and batten too!

o

JDez, what are you doing for floor in that 3rd bedroom? That and window treatments will again affect your perceived color. On my monitor it looks really nice. Especially if you're sick of painting, I'd say live with it for awhile. I love all your color choices!

Niteshade, looking forward to seeing more pics. Love your exterior color with that stone.

Tulips, The floors are Hickory. There was a board of prefinished flooring in the showroom of the place our materials came from that was Hickory, that was this color. I don't know the stain name, but I do know it was a HUGE deal for them to get this color. The stain guys tried 3 times to get this color and couldn't. I was in FL on the last day when our GC met with my husband and the stain guy on site to try to achieve this color. Hubby just looked at all the previous efforts in a grid pattern on the floor and said "my wife isn't going to be happy with any of those" and so they kept going. I believe they actually stained the floor in a two step process to get the depth of color. Something about an alcohol rub, and two coats of stain.
Sorry I can't help you with actual color names, but oak will take stain differently anyway.

o

Autumn - we have help from FIL. So, we've had two sprayers going. And, we have all taken off from work to get it done before the next baseball tournament. Yes, I have resisted painting over that room because DH likes the color. I don't like it but I am hoping it will be ok when the room is decorated and full of furniture. What's happening up there? Still raining?

Mlweaving - I am a loser and still haven't decided on flooring. All bedrooms will be carpet but I haven't decided on kind/color yet.

Musicgal - I too would love to see the red.

o

It's so fun watching everyone's progress!

Jdez-Love your paint choices
Mlweaving-your powder room is so bright and cheery!
Carsonheim-congratulations-send more pics pls.

we are down to 21/2 months-mid Sept move in. the lower level is now roughed in and the drywallers should be here yet this week to do their work.
The main level is drywalled, textured and primed. the wood floor installation should wrap up today-it will be stained a dark chocolate onsite.
The interior doors arrived today.
Tile is scheduled to begin on the first.
So happy to be moving a little faster now :)

Here is a picture of the hardwood installation. youre looking into the kitchen from the livingroom.

o

mlweaving_Marji Do you know if the alcohol rub was done just to make hickory take the stain evenly? or was it done to get it darker?

o

bluemoon-yay!

j-well. I forgot to say that is how I feel about my TRIM good gravy! In most places I like it but in some it looks so French vanilla - depends on the wall color and the outside but that does bug me a little I have to say. Dh was on a long stretch of work plus running boys to camps so not much. Last week of camp now though so that will help. We did get lumber on order for the barn (that will be 6 weeks) and he is pulling permits today. We have not had a long enough stretch to start the stone. Maybe Saturday depending on weather BUT still baseball tourney if they continue to win so......ack. So yesterday after baseball, I sat down...on the couch...and did nothing. It was marvelous. I think I am pooped and feel like we are in a gridlock. Items still in garage that we can't move until the barn is built and then when they move out we can park in. I am used to parking outside after the rental so that isn't a big deal. Gridlock inside with office stuff in pantry and kitchen. We should have the desk and a bookcase in by the end of July and then I can move that stuff where it goes and then continue to organize the kitchen. I kinda am feeling like why do it all now when there isn't a place to put it so it's still in boxes. It looks somewhat orderly in there, if I get it out and start cramping things it will drive me nuts.

We are scheduled to close on our loan on Saturday - YAY!!! Putting the final bit of paperwork to BED!

o

bluemoon- SO pretty!

So here are a few reveals.... drum roll.............

Toile red (cut by a lot of white)- Honest, it really does not read pink in the room. It is more of a coral/clay tone in person as you see if you look back through the hallway into the dining room. That is the same color in both rooms.

This post was edited by musicgal on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 14:22

o

The new driveway prior to sealer. It has been colored and stamped regardless of the rain. I am thrilled with the pattern.

o

Closeup of the Calacatta Quartzite on the island.

This post was edited by musicgal on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 13:55

o

Shower tile... ceramic marble look alike. See how the paint reads baby blue in there? Yech! That will be changed for sure.

o

Back hallway counter finished with a manmade quartz. Bulletproof drop zone with solatube daylighting illuminating a potentially cavelike passage.

o

Hmmmn- where, oh where is the secret door?

o

Virginia Mist on the perimeter. Indestructible soapstone alternative.

This post was edited by musicgal on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 14:17

o

Oh my gosh, look at the progress!!!

I have been MIA, we had a big blow out with the electrician and then our water district decided to change its mind 3 times on what we needed for meters so our site has been on slow motion. We are nearly done insulating though and now onto drywall :) I will try to be more active, my pouting streak is over....I hope.

o

Everyone's progress is looking great! It's been hard to keep up with it all due to the craziness of school end and diving right into travel swim meets, multiple swim team practices as well as the busyness of building a home! I have been going crazy designing all the cabinetry for the build and met with our Amish cabinet maker today. Hoping all will come in within our allowance. It was a crazy meeting with no lighting or air conditioning. Their copier was powered by a battery! Definately a different way of life but they do beautiful work. Here is a peak at our progress....

From the front

o

And from the back...

o

Looks awesome HAPPYVALLEY! I can't wait to see what your cabinet maker does for you.

MUSICGAL- I love your countertop choices. What are your cabinets made out of? Looks great together. Really nice photos.

BLUEMOON- Only 2 1/2 months out is great. Things will definitely speed up after painting, that was my experience at least. Like light speed, lol.

NIGHTSHADE- I totally hear you on the second guessing. oh man did I ever. Glad you continue to love your choices....sometimes you have to wait for it all to come together at the end for it all to make sense again.

JDEZ- great colors! Getting the paint on really starts to give the house it's personality :)

on my end, well, it really feels like we are winding down. The wood floors got stained and first two coats of finish down. Last coat is next Thursday. Appliances are next Monday. Carpet is mostly down. Still waiting on some light fixtures. T-3 weeks until move in. I may have a false sense of security but I'm feeling rather under control with the packing. Can't be. But I KNOW there's so much that can't be done until the day of or close to it. Would be nice to get the hanging clothes moved over early in wardrobe boxes.

Here's a pic of the floors:
[img] photo 0625141959b.jpg[/img]

o

Everyone is coming along so beautifully!

We received our first draft of construction drawings. We're currently going over them with a fine toothed comb. Want to make sure we don't miss anything. I'm feeling a great deal of anxiety....and feelings of unsure ness. Anyone else feel this way?

The developer is helping us prep the lot and took down about 20 trees today. Progress!

o

illini- your house is looking great. Almost to the finish line now. To answer your question, the cabs are knotty alder. All the stained wood in the house is alder; my carpenter had a field day:)

Michelle- Plan, plan, plan all you can- and then fasten your seat belt and hang on for the ride. Start taking a good nutritional supplement and try to get a little exercise in. It will help with the stress.

o

Michelle-yeah what Musicgal said. I was nauseous when we finalized. Just remember there is NO perfect house. It will be great but there are always things that you think hmm over analyzed this and hmmm should have thought that through more.... It's all good! Can't wait to see your plans.

Music-very cool driveway! Love your finishes too.

Illini-oh I knew those floors were going to be fantastic and they are!. Cool, go with being organized and in control. I think that is great!

Happyvalley-good to see you and your build. I think we all can relate to your frazzled busyness. :)

So here is a pic of our dining room ligt. We did find a used table that works better (size and have and color and style) but we don't have it yet - so here is the lovely golden oak. :D

o

illingirl- LOVE the built-ins, fireplace and floors. I'll be showing this pic to our cabinet maker b/c it is EXACTLY what I want. Can you tell me the width of each built-in? Also, what are your floors and stain color?

o

another framing pic
 photo 34910598-FA87-4B78-B73E-A1481D3DCC14_zpsqyubkprr.jpg

and here is the view out my 8-foot wide kitchen window:

photo 127E05A0-ED61-4BB3-A09A-B53DCA133F38_zpsxbvodolq.jpg

o

carson- that pond is pretty much filled up now:) Hope your guys make good progress, and you can climb stairs soon!

Autumn, very classic and cool fixture.

o

yup -- looking forward to climbing stairs! Also, any time you want to swing by BCS let me know. I'll be happy to take you on a shopping excursion and show you 'round my build site!

And now, off to order my windows :)

o

I spent time reading back over the building logs for the past 2 years and it was so fun to see the progress of all the homes from start to finish. Am a reader by nature so often lurk but don't post. I enjoyed so much seeing the progression of the builds from start to finish that I want mine to be a part, too! Find it interesting that a lot of us building custom home have kids around the 8-11 age, with first our first kiddos heading to middle school in the fall...must be a stage of life thing:-)

Autumn - dining light looks great!
Michelle - I think anxiety and second guessing just comes with the territory when building a home... it is so hard to commit to something that seems so expensive and permanent and all you have is paper to go by. We are at framing and I am still second guessing my choices! From all I have read here you are in good company and it seems like a supportive group.

Illini - I hope my cabinetry will come out as beautiful as yours! My kitchen style and layout is extremely similar to yours and I hope the end product will be as nice.

Musicgal - your knotty alder is beautiful...it looks like your home will be warm and inviting

Carson - looks like we are just a bit ahead of you...it will be fun to follow along on this crazy ride!

Jdez - paint looks really nice. I would live with the rooms you are not sure about for a bit...once furnishings are in paint looks so different

Bluemoon - floors look great...can't wait to see what stain you come up with

Hoping our second story is finished up today so that they can place the roof trusses early next week. We got over an inch of rain yesterday afternoon and when we went to walk through in the evening there was standing water on all the floors:-(. Can't wait for that roof to go on!

o

We've hit a major delay. Our province has now instituted a mandatory new home warranty program. Claiming to be about consumer protection, but really about big builder protection and a new revenue stream for insurance companies. Anyone building a house now has to pay upwards of $14k to an insurance company as a warranty guarantee. As an owner builder, the warranty is useless because if the homeowner (me) makes a claim, it's up to the builder (me) to fix it. The warranty only exists for builders who turn around and sell it to a 3rd party. Those buyers have recourse if the builder refuses to fix something.

The provision in the law for owner-builders allows us to apply for an exemption. We have to sign an affidavit in front of a notary promising that we intend to live there, and can't have been an owner-builder in the last 3 years. And pay $1000 to the province and wait a month while they inspect our background to ensure we aren't "backyard builders" hoping to turn out a piece of crap, sell it and run. Fine, we'll do that.

But then apparently the law says that if you get an exemption, you are not allowed to sell the house for 10 years. I'm sure it's supposed to be that if you build a house without going through the process, then you can't sell the house. We have to have the warranty (or exemption) in place before we can even apply for a building permit. But I'm sure that isn't true in every county in the province, or wasn't at the time the law was written. But, it's being interpreted as if we get the exemption, we can't sell the house for 10 years. And if we can't sell the house, we can't get a mortgage.

And the contracts with the insurance companies are written for big builders. There's all kinds of clauses in there that shouldn't apply to us, such as annual renewal fees which will go up over time without notice, and if we go bankrupt, we are no longer in the warranty program. I interpret that as the only way the bank can get our house is if we go bankrupt, at which point, there's no warranty, so the bank can't sell the house. I think it's intended as if a builder goes bankrupt, he can't build more houses and have them covered by this warranty. But that's not how it's written. So we need to hire a lawyer to help negotiate the contract.

However, while the province claims we have a choice of 5 insurance companies to deal with, only one will sell a policy to owner builders. So we're limited in how much negotiating we can do.

This law has only been in effect for a few months, and apparently we're the first owner builders to encounter it. Or we're the first to actually read contracts.

o

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/paint/msg0618562230635.html?2

xpost from paint. Take a look and let me know what suggestions for exterior paint.

o

Autumn- great dining fixture

Hester- My built ins are 68" wall to wall on each side of the fireplace, the cabinets though are each 32" if that makes sense. Here's the page from the drawing set:
[img] photo greatroomfireplace.jpg[/img]

The floors are site finished 3/4" 4"wide plank character grade walnut stained with mix of 50% Provincial and 50% natural (clear). We are using all Bona products on the floor.

Nice view Carson! Framing coming along great.

o

Mfatt - glad to see you back. Hope you came to a mutually agreeable conclusion on your electrical. Our revised estimate (post installation, ha!) was 25% more than the original estimate. Yes there was sticker shock, but we know why (we added a LOT) and we really like our electrician. He's very honest and had a very detailed breakdown. He said he'd work with us on getting the price down and we all agreed my dh would trim out as many light fixtures as we could to help save money. I felt happy with that.

I am also having an issue selecting 1 additional exterior color so I'm sorry, I'm no help there.

o

We did sort of work it out. The blame was partially on the GC so he worked it out and came to a middle ground that didn't include us paying for anything but the changes we made. It boiled down that our contract with GC was different than the electricians with the GC as far as what was included in the original bid.

The paint is killing me. Maybe I will post in Decorating.

o

OMG Amberm what a mess. That's insane. And ridiculous even for non-owner builders. Are they trying to discourage new home building for some reason?

o

They're trying to force people to only build through large builders. Companies that have a standing agreement with the insurance companies, so they've put down a $100k security, spread over 1000 homes, and the premiums are transferred to the homeowner.

And my neighbour is getting a new roof (on her 25 yr old house) and her crew doesn't look anything like JDez's crew. It's like I can't get a break at all. :D

o

Illini - Your kitchen and LR built-ins are gorgeous. I am drooling over your floors too...lol.

Carson - Awesome Texas view. So good to see that things are happening for you.

MFatt - Glad you got everything worked out. Nice to "see" you again.

HappyValley - Amazing progress. I hope you are happily shopping because you've got a lot of decisions coming.

Autumn - Beautiful light fixture. I wish we were closer. I would be glad to take the oak table off your hands. Our current table is too big for our space. Bummer indeed. As we are about to tackle the trim, I took a close look at your window trim and Wow! Very detailed and very nice.

Amberm - Things are just crazy where you are. I hope your lawyer can get it all straightened out.

Music - We will have knotty alder cabs also. I like your stain color. I still haven't picked that out yet.

Michelle - Take a deep breath and a have a stiff drink. All is good...lol.

Bluemoon - Nice to "see" you again also. Ok, drooling again. Nice wood floors.

Hoosier - Any digging?

LadyBrown - Still MIA?

Ok, took some pics of the paint with my good camera. All of the paint looks really good now that has completely dried. I am very happy with all of our choices. We also put some wood up on the walls. I had planned to paint that the same color as the kitchen but now I just don't know if I can. I was just afraid the house would look too dark if I left it natural. But....it is soooo pretty. I also included a closer pic of our brick and exterior siding. Here ya go:

o

Thanks. We just finally adjusted the fixture. Heavy on the 'we'. ;)

J-if you are ever near swing on over. It has 3 leaves so it does get pretty large if you want it to. Okay so....I think your brick is perfect, and your siding a great compliment. What a difference in intensity the 'real' camera makes. Love them all. Thanks for the compliment on the trim, I guess I never posted a pic of it...probably too busy painting at the time, lol! That wall of wood is a great accent.

Amber-what the heck! No way. That is so unreasonable. :( we can. I longer do owner build here but you can GC without too much trouble if you have a builder that partners with you. I hope you can find a loophole...

Happy-fellow reader and also too chatty as I am sure you realized. :D. Interesting that many are in similar seasons of life.

I cannot believe it's already Friday tomorrow and next week is the 4th. Yikes.

o

A silver fox came out of the woodwork!

o

Finally back from Alaska! The weather and wedding was amazing and the break from all of the decisions on this house was helpful. I'm ready to get back to it and am enjoying it again. Talking with the builder today and getting ready to submit the door order. Posted in home decorating about whether a black wrought iron lever on the interior doors would look good with pewter and nickel fixtures. While we don't need the knobs yet, have to know what color to order the hinges on the doors. So many knit picky decisions that have a consequence on other decisions.

It was helpful to see some new photos from our site. Can't believe how fast everything is going. We head up there at the end of July and I can't wait.

o

Music - You crack me up. Silver fox. That secret door is awesome.

Harringk - Nice progress. Sounds like you had a much needed break.

Just met with the crew to work out details for the fireplace wall. Then they asked what we wanted in the closets. So, I just designed all of the closets on the fly. Took me all of about 10 minutes of giving instructions. I really hope I didn't screw that up. Cabinets will be delivered at the end of next week. We will have to stain them so they won't be installed until the following week some time. Somewhere in there, we are supposed to put in some flooring. Hmmm, looks like I need to take more time off work. :)

o

So excited for everyone!!

It seems like the progress is going slow on our house but they are really doing soooo much!! We had 6 crews at my house this week working on the central house vac, electrical, plumbing, framing, heat & air, and also working on the sewage system from the road to our house!! They will be finished with all of it by next Thursday and then we will have the inspections. After that the real fun begins!! Can't believe they will be starting the outside, insulation and drywall within a couple of weeks!!!

I had chosen a quartzite a couple of weeks ago and just got a sample to test at home. It was Super White Supreme and failed all the tests!! It etched, scratched, and stained!!! I'm sure I would have been able to get the stains out but not sure if I could live with such a "needy" surface. I went back to the slab yard a couple of days ago and was going to go with granite when I walked in and saw the most beautiful quartzite EVER!! It is called Brazillian White but when I googled the name they only had pictures of the Super White that was labeled Brazillian White. This is totally different looking than the SW. I took home a sample and it passed ALL the tests! It is a true quartzite. It even scratched glass. Looks like this will be durable enough for my family. We are really rough on surfaces. The only problem is that now I have to pick a new backsplash because they don't go well together at all. I will probably just go with white subway, hexagon, or another pattern.

Here is the LOVELY….

o

P.S. They also have 99% of the light boxes where they will be going. Here is a pic of the Great Room ceiling. It will be coffered and the lights are between all of the beams.

o

Love the quartzite robynstamps!! I really wanted to do that too but so many other things went over budget we had to do it the cheap way, but I'm still pleased with the results. We did Glazier White granite and had them hone it for $300 and I love it.
I'd love to see your kitchen when your done though, that slab will definitely look beautiful!

o

Quick drawer LOVE!! Be back after baseball.

o

robyn- that is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!

o

Autumn - Just as I was about to criticize you for the absence of key spices, I spied that little bitty teeny weeny shaker of red pepper...lol. Good girl. That is a very nice setup you have there. I'm impressed by all your up-facing labels. Our ball game was postponed until the morning due to thunderstorms.

o

Autumn how are you liking working in your kitchen? I can't wait to break mine in!

Love your spice drawer..... I have so many spices that wouldn't be enough for me (lots of Indian cooking). I have two 18" wide uppers dedicated for spices and vinegars and oils! Oy!

o

Tulips, I really like your granite. Those are words I'd never I'd say, I'm not generally a fan of granite. :P

Autumn, I'm kind of jealous of your spice drawer, but I think I have significantly more. I have no idea how I'm going to store it in the new house. Right now it's in the cupboard, and I know almost exactly where everything is, so I can reach way into the back and pull out the dill. And then put it back without disturbing anything else. DH comes along, and pulls everything out to find what he's looking for. If I'm lucky, he leaves it all on the counter for me to put away. Otherwise, he puts it away randomly. Labels on the tops of lids might help.

o

amberm145 thanks! Yeah I was wanting something different than glossy granite and this was the cheapest way to do it so I'm happy

o

Tulips- I love your granite too :)

Amberm- Same situation here with the spices. I have a specific location for certain categories of spices and they are always getting messed up. It's like when a bunch of stuff gets taken out of the fridge at dinner time, then "someone" puts the eggs back where the milk goes and then there's no way to fit the milk in where the eggs were supposed to go. Short items on a tall shelf? come on!

Good find ROBYN- looks really pretty! Can't wait to see that ceiling- how tall is it?

o

robyn, your slab is drop dead gorgeous.

harringk, what a gorgeous blue sky over your home to be! Seeing it again with all the progress will be lots of fun.

Autumn, the universe is coming into alignment. At least one of us is getting her organizational groove on. Love the spice drawer.

JDez, yes- that silver fox follows me around wherever I go now. I think he's looking for food:p

Another pic from the hacienda-

o

I lost my post!! Dang phone! Ah well waiting for ds's uniform to dry anyhow. We play again tomorrow, time and place TBD...momma is tired...

I measured what spices I had and added a little but for growth and that is how I came up with that insert. I knew I wanted my measuring stuff and baking things in there also. I still have salt and soda and that sort of stuff that I need to permanently locate. I *wish* I could just cook by taste with spices but I am hopeless! If it wasn't from a recipe I wouldn't know what to buy! I follow recipes to the tee and then maybe modify the next time. JDez that pepper is nearly FULL! ;). We can't handle the heat over here, lol!

Musicgal - yes, that is exactly how it feels, ahhhh!! Love your silver fox sneaking into the secret room. :D

Illini-we have that same fridge thing going on here too and it drives me nuts. have cooked very few meals yet due to the busyness, breakfast though yes.. :(. But, I can tell you most things have a good spot now. I love where the trash is. Chopping and peeling is awesome-water right there and trash for peelings convenient! I love having the drawer storage flanking the range. Perfect for pots, pans and 9x13's. It took me a week or so of instinctively moving in the wrong direction from old kitchen but I am in the groove now. Boys emptying dishwasher into hutch cabinet easy peasy. Yes! It's all good.

Tulips-love it! If iwe could have found the granite we liked leathered I would have jumped at it in a heartbeat. I love that is looks soft even though it's not. Besides the black leathered we have there weren't any others. Congrats! I like your faucet too. :)

JDez-sounds like you might need a good chunk of time off...then a vacation to recover! Rain moving in here. Yesterday and today were beautiful.
Double elimination, if we lose we are out if not we play every day through Monday...

Robyn-that is a gorgeous quartzite and woohoo it passed the test!! I can't wait to see that ceiling!!

Amber-I am liking the drawer spice storage but if you have that many....unless you have enough drawers you could still do it. Mine are not yet organized. I just had to try it before the mad dash to baseball.

I am officially pooped! Dryer just chimed so dealing with that and then off to bed!

o

Autumn, now that I'm on my laptop instead of my phone, I realize some of your jars are shorter. So I thought it was 1 jar when it's actually 2 or 3. DH bought me spice jars for Christmas (at my request). He got me 24 jars, thinking that would do me for the rest of my life. But about halfway through, he had to start getting selective about what got jars. Those jars take up 1 shelf in a 9" cabinets and I have 2 more shelves of other random sized containers. It's all from recipes.

Silver Fox is the name of the paint in my current family room (BM). Every time that comes up, I'm looking at the wall colour. :P

o

Our spice drawer will have to hold 50+ jars! We're going to use after-market jars, which will sit vertically in individual dividers. Each jar will have a label on top, and a label in its dedicated space, so when numerous jars are out (it happens!) it will be easy to put them back. We buy our spices in bulk bags, which we keep in the freezer and use to re-fill the jars. I've probably said before that I am a tool maker by trade, and 'tool' and supply storage has to be well organized so you don't waste time looking for things. Our kitchen will have 34 drawers- I expect it will take some time to organize them all!

Everyone is making great progress- there are just too many pics to comment on!

o

Robyn, what a gorgeous piece of quartzite!
And music, I love your exterior stone too.
Tulips, can't wait to see pics of your whole kitchen. Your island looks wonderful. That's a great stone slab.
Lisa, love your spice drawer. But agreed it would be a bit small for me. I had them take my upper cab to the left of the stove, probably a 24" cabinet?, and cut the interior shelves back by about 1/3, then mount spice racks on the inside of the two doors. I will put those round rotating discs inside the cabinet for spices and seasonings I use less often, and use the doors for what I reach for most often. The racks are adjustable height, so I expect it'll work out great.
I keep promising pics, but not getting them. ;`(

JDez, you are one ambitious woman. I agree with Lisa, you're going to need time off after your time off!

We Have A Turnover Date!!! July 8. Finally. It's been a Long Time Coming.

o

marji- that's the same setup I have for my spices in the cupboard with the racks inside each door.
CONGRAGTS ON THE MOVE IN DATE! I am not too far behind you at July 18. Getting so excited (and a little anxious about getting the move done).

I found out I must have misunderstood the cleaning process. It's only one day long, not 2 weeks. I think they meant it happens two weeks before move in, lol. so I guess it's a large crew (15-20) who come out for the day. Then walk through, then they do the punch list, then another light cleaning at the end after the punch list, then move in. Can't wait!

o

Tulips - That actually was the granite I was going to choose when I went in to the slab yard that day! They call it River White around here and it is gorgeous. The slabs they had were a little too yellow, though. I was hoping for a RW with more gray in it. Yours looks AWESOME! I will definitely share the kitchen when they are finished. The cabinets and hardware were ordered yesterday!!! Yaaaay!!!! I went crazy and did a fun color in my laundry room. I think it's going to look FAB!

Music - I LOVE that stone!!!

illigrl - You are almost there!!! I also wondered how the cleaning process would work. Ours will be a big hot mess. I wonder if they will be able to clean all of my windows, too.

illigrl - The ceiling in the Great Room and Formal Living Room are both 20 feet tall. We did cans in both rooms. Actually, there are cans everywhere in this house! haha!

o

Marjorie-so close! Woohoo!

If you are visual like me-here are the details, the spice portion is 18" wide and there are 40 spices I have in there right now. I requested roughly 20" and then gave what I wanted for the other side as far as how many dividers and rough sizes. I think they will build whatever you want. I emailed them a sketch. So for those of you that can take up a whole drawer no problem, this drawer was actually considered two inserts. :)
In kitchens there is a thread on canisters with labeling on the top (for those that do the bulk thing). Can't find it right now in my phone but I will link it later.

Happy Saturday everyone!

o

It looks like we have a target move-in date, too! Finally!!!! We are aiming for July 12 weekend. Keeping our fingers crossed that we can get the contractors in to finish up. I made up the punch list this week and we're working off it.

We've shifted gears and I'm now doing the calling and scheduling. DH has his list to work from and he's staying focused with those things. We still don't have the septic laterals dug. Our DD made that phone call this week. We are supposed to get it done this coming week. He did grade the front walkway and back patio areas so we can get concrete poured this week.

The electrician has a long list. I was so frustrated. I spent so much time on where we wanted electrical switches and how I wanted them arranged. Before installation we put labels on the walls and I took pictures of those labels. When we were testing all the switches and outlets, we found we had a big mess with the switches. A lot of them are backwards in order. A couple of units are totally jumbled. Case in point, when you go into the garage from the house, I wanted the first switch you would reach to be the garage interior lights, the next one would be the exterior garage lights, and the third one would be the attic light. However, what we got is attic, ext., interior. Anyway, I've taken pictures of each of the rooms with the switches and marked which ones need to be moved to where.

The only thing left for plumbing in the house is the handheld shower. It's been on backorder. DH wasn't checking on this part and just accepting that same answer from them over and over again. Not me! I called twice last week. They said they'd call me back the first day, but didn't. So, I followed up the next day and by golly they are doing a rush shipment and will install it Monday. Geesh!

We got our backsplash installed yesterday and grouted today. Can't wait to see how it looks with the exhaust fan installed.

photo IMG_4873_zps2dbd2070.jpg

I'm looking for someone else to do the cleaning before we move in. I contacted the company who gave us a bid. I was not impressed. Their bid said windows inside and out, but when we talked he said I'd have to have someone else do them. Plus, he was asking me what I meant by post-construction cleaning.

o

Looks awesome Hoosier! Yay on the move in date!

Speaking of switches.... I noticed that some of my switches are uhm how do I put this ? Like backwards? So that not all the decora switches are 'down' when the lights are off. Some of them have to go down to turn on and some up to turn on. Does that make sense? Can they fix that?

o

Illini-are they 3 way maybe? That is all I can think of. Otherwise that is just nuts.

Hoosiers-hooray! Your backsplash and kitchen look fabulous! Way to go! How frustrating that you too the time to lay it all out and they disregarded it. :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here