Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mess left behind

Posted by deb2jess (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 12 at 22:52

This probably seeems silly and petty but who cleans up the mess left behind by the builders? We are contracting our own build hiring people as we go. We are getting really good prices, staying under budget, Yay! I don't mind picking up wood scraps, recycling a few bags of shingle ends etc. but, I got home late today from work , let my dogs out and they ran to the build site to dig through all the fast food trash left by the sheetrockers! There were cans and food trash everywhere! Is this normal? Not sure this came with the bid!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mess left behind

Do you not have a dumpster? If you are acting as the GC, then you would need to spell out how clean you want the area left in the contracts you have with the people you are hiring.

o

The GC hires the dumpster and polices the trades to be sure that they use it. When it's full, they call to have it removed or replaced. If your trash is, full, it's time to get a bigger trash or to empty the one you've got. Yes, you.

o

This should be spelled out in the sub-contracts and if you are doing the hiring you are responsible for those terms and conditions. If you did not make those standards clear you are at the mercy of the sub-contractors unless the site is in a dangerous condition.

o

Yes, you have received good responses here. The ball's in your court! The good news is that you are saving the fee and expenses normally paid to a GC. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here