Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
9 or 10 ft ceilings on the 1st floor

Posted by abekker (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 22:50

Please help!!! We are building a 3500 sq ft home.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 9 or 10 ft ceilings on the 1st floor

Oops

o

Sorry about the plan being sideways

o

i'd say 10' is becoming the new norm for a large custom home. the subdivision town homes in my area (outside of Toronto) are all 9' now. I think you can't go wrong with 9 or 10. We are doing 10' on the first floor and 9' on second...ours is 3800 sqft.

o

Ditto what carp said. Ours is 3500 too. 10' first floor, 9' second story.

o

Originally we planned to do 9 on the 1st floor and 8 one the 2nd, but with all the bedrooms having a bumped up ceiling to 9 (like a soffit at 8 ft), then my architect suggested going with 10 on the 1st floor, but keeping the same 8 ft upstairs, which to me just didn't feel right, so I raised the whole 2nd floor to 9, but now I am having second thoughts.

o

Do you having anything extra in the master like a trey ceiling?

o

A builder pointed out that with a 9 ft ceiling, I can use standard length doors and windows. The 10 ft requires taller doors and windows. I can bump up in certain areas to make it seem like 10 without doing the whole house (but mine is 1-story).

o

If you go 10, it will feel more expansive and expensive:-) But, I am loving our 10 foot ceilings and 8 foot doors. I see you have a lovely piano. Nice.

o

BTW- We have tray ceilings in two of our rooms with indirect lighting above the trim. And... on your other thread, ignore the bashers. Best wishes on your build.

o

Thank you all for your help.

o

I love the rope lighting look. Not sure which room to choose for it.

o

we will have 10 ft. ceilings. Production builds do 9 ft. I definitely would not go lower than 9 ft. 10 is really nice to, though.

o

We did 10 on our main floor and 8 upstairs for the bedrooms.

o

Neroselover, do you regret not doing 9 upstairs? My architect offered 10 and 8 upstairs, but I am afraid the height difference will be very noticeable.

o

We aren't in the house yet - about 2 - 3 months out still, but it hasn't really bothered me.

We have 8 ft. in our bedrooms right now and it's fine. Any company that we have over will not be in our upstairs, as it's only bedrooms, so they won't see it.

Our own bedroom (upstairs) in the new house is vaulted.

o

Thanks.

o

We are doing 10 ft on the main floor as well, with regular doors. Our current house has double vaulted ceilings for most of the main floor, and we only have regular doors. We will have 9 ft in the basement, but only 8 ft on the 2nd floor. Same with neroselover, only bedrooms upstairs. But I would have changed it if I had the chance at the beginning (complicated negotiations). If I change it now, the builder will charge me an arm and a leg, maybe more haha! I love chandeliers so I am not loving the 8ft :/

o

Wow, so many people doing 10 ft. on the main floor. Now I'm second guessing the fact that we went with 9 ft. But the foyer and great room are two story rooms...if they weren't I think I would have gone with 10 ft. I like open and airy.

o

We are doing 9 ft. in the basement, like northpolehome. So, 10 ft. on main, 8 ft. upstairs for bedrooms (master is vaulted), and 9 ft in the basement.

o

We are doing 12 ft in the foyer, 15ft vaulted family/dining room, 10 ft in the study, and 9 ft everywhere else including the basement. We have a ranch with a walkout basement so very flexible when it comes to selecting heights.

o

Our architect convinced us that visually, they eye doesn't truly appreciate much difference between 9' and 10' ceilings.

We were fine with 9' (except for the vaulted living room) in our home because we want it to feel cozy (even at 3000 sq feet). Our last house had 10' ceilings that did make it seem very open, but 9' seemed to suit our house plan this time.

Also, another factor I won't deny considering- if I'm not wrong, there is a noticeable price jump in going to 10' due to the extra framing, drywall and painting?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here