Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abekker_gw

9 or 10 ft ceilings on the 1st floor

abekker
9 years ago

Please help!!! We are building a 3500 sq ft home.

Comments (25)

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry about the plan being sideways

• carp123
    9 years ago

i'd say 10' is becoming the new norm for a large custom home. the subdivision town homes in my area (outside of Toronto) are all 9' now. I think you can't go wrong with 9 or 10. We are doing 10' on the first floor and 9' on second...ours is 3800 sqft.

• Michelle
    9 years ago

Ditto what carp said. Ours is 3500 too. 10' first floor, 9' second story.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Originally we planned to do 9 on the 1st floor and 8 one the 2nd, but with all the bedrooms having a bumped up ceiling to 9 (like a soffit at 8 ft), then my architect suggested going with 10 on the 1st floor, but keeping the same 8 ft upstairs, which to me just didn't feel right, so I raised the whole 2nd floor to 9, but now I am having second thoughts.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Do you having anything extra in the master like a trey ceiling?

• golfergirl29
    9 years ago

A builder pointed out that with a 9 ft ceiling, I can use standard length doors and windows. The 10 ft requires taller doors and windows. I can bump up in certain areas to make it seem like 10 without doing the whole house (but mine is 1-story).

• musicgal
    9 years ago

BTW- We have tray ceilings in two of our rooms with indirect lighting above the trim. And... on your other thread, ignore the bashers. Best wishes on your build.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your help.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love the rope lighting look. Not sure which room to choose for it.

• Skyangel23
    9 years ago

we will have 10 ft. ceilings. Production builds do 9 ft. I definitely would not go lower than 9 ft. 10 is really nice to, though.

• mom2samlibby
    9 years ago

We did 10 on our main floor and 8 upstairs for the bedrooms.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Neroselover, do you regret not doing 9 upstairs? My architect offered 10 and 8 upstairs, but I am afraid the height difference will be very noticeable.

• mom2samlibby
    9 years ago

We aren't in the house yet - about 2 - 3 months out still, but it hasn't really bothered me.

We have 8 ft. in our bedrooms right now and it's fine. Any company that we have over will not be in our upstairs, as it's only bedrooms, so they won't see it.

Our own bedroom (upstairs) in the new house is vaulted.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks.

• lizzieplace
    9 years ago

We are doing 10 ft on the main floor as well, with regular doors. Our current house has double vaulted ceilings for most of the main floor, and we only have regular doors. We will have 9 ft in the basement, but only 8 ft on the 2nd floor. Same with neroselover, only bedrooms upstairs. But I would have changed it if I had the chance at the beginning (complicated negotiations). If I change it now, the builder will charge me an arm and a leg, maybe more haha! I love chandeliers so I am not loving the 8ft :/

• snuffycuts99
    9 years ago

Wow, so many people doing 10 ft. on the main floor. Now I'm second guessing the fact that we went with 9 ft. But the foyer and great room are two story rooms...if they weren't I think I would have gone with 10 ft. I like open and airy.

• mom2samlibby
    9 years ago

We are doing 9 ft. in the basement, like northpolehome. So, 10 ft. on main, 8 ft. upstairs for bedrooms (master is vaulted), and 9 ft in the basement.

• nepool
    9 years ago

We are doing 12 ft in the foyer, 15ft vaulted family/dining room, 10 ft in the study, and 9 ft everywhere else including the basement. We have a ranch with a walkout basement so very flexible when it comes to selecting heights.

• AngelaZ
    9 years ago

Our architect convinced us that visually, they eye doesn't truly appreciate much difference between 9' and 10' ceilings.

We were fine with 9' (except for the vaulted living room) in our home because we want it to feel cozy (even at 3000 sq feet). Our last house had 10' ceilings that did make it seem very open, but 9' seemed to suit our house plan this time.

Also, another factor I won't deny considering- if I'm not wrong, there is a noticeable price jump in going to 10' due to the extra framing, drywall and painting?

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

I would do 9 ft down and 8 ft up to cozy the bedrooms.
    We have a 1 story and have 13 ft vaulted in the great room, kitchen, dining
    And 8 ft elsewhere. Haven't moved in yet, but wanted space in the living areas.

• Zoe52
    9 years ago

We are building a fully custom home. Both first and second floor have 9' ceilings with two story front foyer and great room. The Bonus room over the garage which we will be finishing for my husband's office has 8' ceilings.

• Michelle
    9 years ago

As you can see from my post in June, I had planned on 10' ceilings on main floor. But it was one of the casualties of the budget cuts we did. We're just finishing up framing and ended up with 9' on all three floors. I'm really really bummed I didn't fight harder for my 10'. I'm really noticing the lower height, especially in designing the fireplace and builtins.

• Michelle
    9 years ago

As you can see from my post in June, I had planned on 10' ceilings on main floor. But it was one of the casualties of the budget cuts we did. We're just finishing up framing and ended up with 9' on all three floors. I'm really really bummed I didn't fight harder for my 10'. I'm really noticing the lower height, especially in designing the fireplace and builtins.