Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tara_carrico

Please take a look and help me critique.

Tara Carrico
9 years ago

We "think" we have found our plan, however I need some other eyes to help me out. What am I missing?? Thoughts? We are empty nesters next year, so trying to find something that is not too big, but also gives us space. I want a sunroom, but I'm not sure where to add it. Thanks so much for looking and helping me!

** I would like to rearrange the master bath because I want a walk-in shower instead of a tub.

** We are not doing bonus room above, but will have stairs going down in the area where the stairs are located now.

** I'm thinking of putting the sun room where the breakfast room is now. Bump it out a little more and have the deck come off the sunroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Richfield plan

Comments (6)

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

This is one of the better organized DG plans I've seen. You have plenty of room in the MBR to rearrange and get a large WIshower.

The thing that needs attention, to me, is the kitchen. The stove is a LONG way away from the sink (for draining pasta, etc) and across a walkway--less of a hazard than if you had kids (or grandkids?) in the house, but still too far away for easily and safely moving a hot pot of water.

When you say you'd expand the breakfast area for the sun room, would you keep the breakfast area as your primary eating area? Or, are you planning to use the dining room as your primary eating area? I ask because, I'd probably rearrange the fridge location to get it nearer the nook, if that is where I was planning to eat most of the time.

Where do you think you'll place the Master Bed? It appears the only real/best place is against the kitchen wall. But, that means you enter the room facing the side of the bed. That is not usually my preference (I like to enter the room facing the foot of the bed), but how do you feel about it?

I also think I'd not have the sink open to the great room. I'd re-evaluate the whole kitchen layout, and you'll get the best advice for that on the kitchen forum.

Finally, be sure you have a plan, and like it, for furniture placement in the GR. The deck door may need to move...

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Oh, and make sure the garage is large enough for you. (I personally like about 24x24...)

• musicgal
    9 years ago

The kitchen needs work. The exterior elevations are really cute.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Nice layout.

I agree with Kirkhall's thoughts on the kitchen -- especially the placement of the stove, but the space is comfortable and that's an easy fix. I'd keep the basic shape and just move the appliances.

I would want a pantry. Since the secondary bath is accessible to guests, I'd ditch the powder room and make that a nice sized pantry.

I agree that the dining room is a little far from the kitchen, but not so much that it'd be a deal breaker.

Yes, the placement of the bed is less than ideal, but no plan will be perfect, and that is an acceptable compromise. Or could you switch the nice big window to two windows flanking the bed? In the master bath, where do you hang your towels? Back of the door? And I'd make the bathroom door an outswing; my master bath is designed this way, and it's no big deal. The master closet looks a little narrow, but if you're not putting I'm the stairs/bonus room, there's your space -- or it wouldn't be a big deal to bump the garage 1-2' forward.

I like it.

This post was edited by MrsPete on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 17:33

• Tara Carrico
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much! I actually had thought about using the powder room as a pantry - now I will :) Also, need to figure out some sort of "drop zone" for our coats/shoes coming in from garage. Helpful advice!

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Drop spot:

If you put the head of the bed against the back wall, thus allowing a lot of space at the foot of the bed, you could afford to give up a little "indent" straight ahead of the garage door -- but because of the stairs, it'd have to be small.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler