Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Heating/cooling vents are all under our windows...mistake?

threeapples
11 years ago

Our architect and hvac guy said to do this so we don't get hot and cool spots, but I've just read on GW that the air conditioning and heat get trapped blowing into the curtains and then you need to put those unsightly divertors over them. Is this accurate that beneath the windows is the wrong spot for these? I swear, I will never build a house again.

Comments (10)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

I would not like mine under my windows.

IF you leave your drapes open, or have none at all, I suppose it will be fine.

• jolsongoude
    11 years ago

They're there because that's where most of your heat loss and gain are.

• jolsongoude
    11 years ago

They're there because that's where most of your heat loss and gain are.

• gbsim1
    11 years ago

Code for our new build required them within so many inches of each door and window.

We went to a lot of expense in the current build to put the ductwork in the ceiling both upstairs and in the basement. I didn't want ducts on the floor at all... dirt, furniture placement, dog hair were all good reasons for me to go with ceiling mount registers. But it cost us substantially more for ductwork, labor etc.

• renovator8
    11 years ago

If the discharge vents are not below the windows, cold air drops from the window glass as warmer air from the ceiling replaces it. The cold air then moves across the floor creating a draft. This design will heat the room but it is considered inefficient and uncomfortable by HVAC designers.

The design of the window treatment should be able to accommodate an efficient heating system. If you find it a challenge, a window treatment designer might be able to help you.

• Roney Joseph
    2 years ago

Hi < my new house they placed the heating went next to the outside wall. But that wall doesn't have windows. Wil that help or do bad in long run. As I understood it will not help with condensation in the window

• chisue
    2 years ago

Our supply vents are beneath windows, with two levels of return vents on the opposite walls. The higher returns for cooling season draw the cool air up off the floor. The lower ones for heating season draw the heated air down towards the floor. If your HVAC system is balanced, you shouldn't have huge *gusts* of air coming out of the supply vents.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

This thread is nine years old.

• JJ
    2 years ago

Hopefully they decided by now.

• John Smith
    2 years ago

The question is as relavent today as is was 9 years, or 50 years ago. There are many people other than the original poster who want the answer, and if the answer changes with time they will want to know that too!