Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurensmom21_gw

almost final plans (maybe?) - advice please :)

laurensmom21
9 years ago

ok, I think we're getting closer...(maybe?) Dh and I have whittled everything down to this and we're meeting with the designer again tomorrow night.

Here's the main changes I want to make:

1. kitchen windows - should I keep those framed out separately or move them all together? I also don't like that there's a porch column right in front of the center window, but the exterior will more than likely change. Also that wall will not have wall cabs.

2. Sun room is actually a screened porch - should I keep those windows and just not heat/cool or put just screens?

3. Bath #3 looks tight, I'm thinking of just doing a shower where the study closet is now and toilet where tub is with vanity along study shared wall.

4. Remove wall between kitchen and dining (have no idea why he put it in there)

5. Center the front door to the family room opening? It kinda bothers me that it's off center but then if I move it over to center it, it gets cramped with the stairs? anyone see any solutions?

6. Add windows on left side of master bedroom.

I'm not sure what's going on with the main roof line of the ext he drew, but we're going to try to use this pic as our inspiration moving forward:

do you all think this is doable with the current floor plan?

thanks for any input, this has been such an exhausting journey (been at it for over 4 years, been through 3+ architects, spent $$ with nothing to show for it yet! frustrating!) My kids are starting to think we will NEVER build a house!

Comments (14)

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

You have a really long walk between dining table and clean up sink... I'd also put a prep sink on the island for quick drinks, etc, for the kids (fridge end). I'm actually having a really hard time "feeling" the kitchen. Prep wisdom says you take things from the pantry or fridge, wash/prep, then to stove/oven. Your sink is not between the fridge and stove. And you have an island right between the pantry and fridge... Think about how and what you cook, and where you imagine prepping, and make sure the work flow will work for you.

I don't think I'd move the front door as far as you are suggesting, but maybe just to get it centered between the top 2 left windows. (now it appears it is slightly right of center between those windows?). When people step in, because of the door swing, they will move to center of the foyer, so I'd probably not move it all the way to center of the foyer.

Do you know how you'll use your pantry/office? That is an unusual setup, and I'd want to make sure I knew just how I wanted it to make sure the dimensions were "right" for the use of the space.

I can't see dimensions, but I don't think bath 3 is overly tight. It is roomier or very similar to most powder rooms, with the addition of a tub. Verify dimensions though.

When you add windows to the side wall of the master, make sure you take into consideration where your bed will be located (and how wide it will be).

Also, where will the beds go in each of the upstairs bedrooms? Will they be sitting right in front of the windows, or beside the closets? Would it be better to have the closets at the foot of the bed? And, kid in Bed 4 can see right into bed 2 from "bed to bed", I suspect. Verify you want that kind of possible intimacy/irritation (it would not be good for 2 of mine).

Bath 2 functions tight. Maybe off set the sinks. Realistically, if you get 2 people in there to use the 2 sinks, they are going to be rump-to-rump... (again, with the caveat that I can't see the width dimension, but it appears it will be tight).

• mom2samlibby
    9 years ago

What a gorgeous house! I don't have much to add, but one thing that stuck out to me is how far the toliet in the master bath is from your bedroom. It will be a long walk in the middle of the night.

The toliet upstairs is the same way, to me.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

My guess is that the wall,between kitchen and dining may be structural/load bearing.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

How do you plan to use the inspiration house? It bears little resemblance to the house you have designed and seems more certain of its identity.

The stair winders are dangerous and a code violation in the IRC. They also create an awkward railing drop.

• laurensmom21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks for all the input - I really appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts as my brain is pretty fried these days.

bath 3 as it is now is 6' deep and 7'7" wide.

I'm thinking the upstairs bedrooms/bath might change since we're hoping to change the exterior to fit the inspiration house a little more. But thanks for those suggestions kirkhall

Renovator - how would you recommend doing the stairs? We are in a rural area so no inspections or codes, but I want the stairs to be efficient and nice looking. Also for the exterior, we're hoping to change the current ext center gable to one long gable like the inspiration pic. I'm just not sure how to do the master side since I'd like that room vaulted. Do you have any suggestions?

thanks again!

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

I like your house a lot. I remember all of the struggles you have had trying to design a house that works for your family. I hope you can make this one work. You are just North of me if I remember correctly.

Your inspiration house is one done by my architect. It is a lovely inspiration house.

Love the screen porch/sun room. What direction will this room be?

I agree that column would drive me crazy every time if looked out my kitchen sink window. It has to be fixed. I don't like how far apart the windows are either. I wouldn't want them factory mulled but closer together.

Very nice IMHO.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

I recommend finding the 2009 IRC online and using it as a guide. It is a minimum standard that is concerned with your safety so not being obligated to use it is not a good reason to ignore it although your builder will probably not agree since he has probably been allowed to determine what is safe for many years and will see the code requirements as an unnecessary cost.

If the landing is made square and flat, the treads will extend farther into the second floor. Also if the treads are held back from the landing a half tread the inside handrail will be able to turn without a drop or a newel post. It's a tradeoff between saving floor space vs comfort and appearance.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2009 IRC

• laurensmom21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Red! Have you started yet? I've been out of the loop on here and haven't kept up with everyone. Do you have a floor plan? I just love your architect's plans! But after spending so much on other plans, dh has convinced me to whittle everything down and just go with a local guy. Just hope he gets my "vision" as I think he is used to drawing up box plans for the builders here and doesn't do too many customs. We'll see I guess... The screened porch faces south/west so we'll be able to watch the sunsets over our tree line :)

Thanks for the link Renovator. I will be sure to show it to dh. We are owner/building this which is part of our problem I think. No one to really shoot ideas off of and we have to do all the grunt work & research ourselves - but we'll save a ton of $$ so it's a trade off. I appreciate your expertise.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Will you have a door from the study into the bathroom? Because it looks like, since there's a tub or shower, it will help the study be a guest room.

Agree about the upstairs bathroom toilet, why is it soooo far back? Can it simply move forward, and just block off the space behind?

The upstairs hall is long, narrow, and dark. Personally, I'd steal 6" or more from each bedroom to widen the hallway, but that's just me. I do, however, recommend solatubes up there, it'll save you a lot of electricity!

Love your inspiration photo.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

I would tell the drafter to draw the inspiration house and start construction ASAP.

• mom2samlibby
    9 years ago

Would it be easier to work off of your inspiration photo?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ansley Park house

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Laurensmom--a SW porch should be nice. Yes, I would watch that stairway. We built a stock plan in 1988 and our stairway was downright dangerous. Not one time did anyone say anything about it including our budget builder. Many falls over the years. If you can fix that..your house is really pretty. Love the windows.

We are working on plans and will be there soon. We purchased "Beacon Hill" from Tim 10 years ago and tried to have him modify it for us but just couldn't get it right so we started from scratch with him. I am hesitant to post more than snippets. Email me if you are interested. He modifies his plans at a very reasonable price. And custom reasonably IMHO.

I know you are frustrated but don't let it get you down too much.

This post was edited by red_lover on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 10:44

• laurensmom21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks everyone!

neroselover - thanks for posting that, but his original design didn't quite work for us due to views, screen porch, kitchen placement, etc... It was also more expensive with lots of corners and too big.

Red - I will email you sometime, thanks!

We met with the designer last night and I think it went fairly well. Hoping to have 2nd round of modifications back next week. We are going to expand the upstairs to go over the study to get the rectangular shape like the photo. So the upstairs layout will change, bringing a bedroom to go over the study. We are going to add another turn to the stairs to come out above the pantry sort of like this pic:

I'll post when I get the next changes. Thanks for all your help!

• bird_lover66
    9 years ago

Beautiful house, but I sure hope you don't plan to age in place because that is quite a hike to the toilet during the night for all involved.

In fact, I have a similar setup, and I use the powder room during the night because it is closer than our master bath toilet. :(