Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phoggie_gw

Pre-build jitters?

phoggie
11 years ago

We are getting down to the phase of getting ready to start digging.....and I am getting pre-build jitters.

How detailed were you with your builder on what was included in your build? I am doing labor + materials because he told me he "thought" that he could build it cheaper that way, because if a contractor gives a contract price, they always include "what if" costs and he doesn't see any reason that this build should not be a simple build.

If you built this way, did you have a "cost not to exceed" clause? I am using "Summerfield's plan" that was drawn for me and love it.

I have been looking at his estimates and am wondering just how much overages and other things (drive/sidewalks, landscaping, appliances, etc.) will not be included in his estimate and if his allowances will be enough to cover the expenses.

I am a 70 yr. widow, doing this on my own and I was "supposed" to have DH being our own GC, but he has passed now. I do have a wonderful Amish crew who I do have complete faith and trust to be honest, but a wondering just how detailed I need to be before we get the digging started.

I was very comfortable with my decision to build, but now getting nervous......anyone else have these feelings? If so, how did you work them out in advance?

Thanks

Comment (1)