Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pre-build jitters?

Posted by phoggie (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 22:27

We are getting down to the phase of getting ready to start digging.....and I am getting pre-build jitters.

How detailed were you with your builder on what was included in your build? I am doing labor + materials because he told me he "thought" that he could build it cheaper that way, because if a contractor gives a contract price, they always include "what if" costs and he doesn't see any reason that this build should not be a simple build.

If you built this way, did you have a "cost not to exceed" clause? I am using "Summerfield's plan" that was drawn for me and love it.

I have been looking at his estimates and am wondering just how much overages and other things (drive/sidewalks, landscaping, appliances, etc.) will not be included in his estimate and if his allowances will be enough to cover the expenses.

I am a 70 yr. widow, doing this on my own and I was "supposed" to have DH being our own GC, but he has passed now. I do have a wonderful Amish crew who I do have complete faith and trust to be honest, but a wondering just how detailed I need to be before we get the digging started.

I was very comfortable with my decision to build, but now getting nervous......anyone else have these feelings? If so, how did you work them out in advance?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pre-build jitters?

In compiling prices for his "budget" he should have been getting firm prices from subs to increase the accuracy. The drawings should be as clear as possible so he can do as much bidding as possible. This is where the savings occurs in a Cost of the Work contract.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here