Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Is this exterior molding the right scale for my house?

threeapples
11 years ago

We have a Georgian, somewhat large house, going up and need to approve the architect's suggestion for the fypon dentil molding and fascia. It's fypon mld331-16 and it's 9.5 inches tall, the dentil "teeth" are only 2 1/4" wide and I'm concerned it's too dainty for the size of our house. Any thoughts?

Comments (15)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

not without some sort of pictures

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oops, here's an elevation image:
    {{gwi:1461938}}

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

It seems like it might be far from the ground to really see those teeth... If you figure in your elevation the size of the 24 light windows (the size of 1 "light) and then compare to the size of your molding, that might give you an idea. Or, look at the size of the brick above the windows and compare?

Could you get a piece, and place it at about the right height and stand back a-ways and see how it looks?

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Unfortunately I can't get a sample of the molding. I'm worried it's too small.

• emmachas_gw Shaffer
    11 years ago

Giving credit where credit is due, this beautiful Georgian was designed by Pak Heydt and Associates. The dentils are a nice size and do appear to be larger. Does Fypon make another size?

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

Hi,
    I am familiar with a similar scale house (a williamsburg George Wythe House copy) and the dentils are 3.5" cubes 12" O.C.
    Casey

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

It's also way to shallow. It won't create any kind of shadowline

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks, everyone. i just emailed my builder and architect--kinda annoyed such a tiny profile was chosen for our large-ish house.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sombreuil mongrel, what does OC refer to?

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

OC stands for On Center. They are 12" apart from the middle of one dentil block to the middle of the next.

Actually something more like what you originally had in mind for the interior would be more like what you need on the outside.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, I found a fypon dentil that has 3" teeth and is 9 in tall. Might that be good for the exterior?

• emmachas_gw Shaffer
    11 years ago

There is a dentil block offered on the Fypon site that is 3.5" with a 3.5" projection that is 4.5" long. That is closer to the authentic size sombreuilmongrel referred to.

The brick work dentils we will incorporate in our plan would be about the same size.

• emmachas_gw Shaffer
    11 years ago

BTW your planned home is BEAUTIFUL! Love Georgian architecture!

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! We are really excited about it.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

architect says anything larger than what he recommended is for a school or commercial structure. i'm going to see if we can get a larger one anyway because the small size doesn't make sense to me.