Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this exterior molding the right scale for my house?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 22:27

We have a Georgian, somewhat large house, going up and need to approve the architect's suggestion for the fypon dentil molding and fascia. It's fypon mld331-16 and it's 9.5 inches tall, the dentil "teeth" are only 2 1/4" wide and I'm concerned it's too dainty for the size of our house. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this exterior molding the right scale for my house?

not without some sort of pictures

o

oops, here's an elevation image:
Photobucket

o

It seems like it might be far from the ground to really see those teeth... If you figure in your elevation the size of the 24 light windows (the size of 1 "light) and then compare to the size of your molding, that might give you an idea. Or, look at the size of the brick above the windows and compare?

Could you get a piece, and place it at about the right height and stand back a-ways and see how it looks?

o

Unfortunately I can't get a sample of the molding. I'm worried it's too small.

o

Giving credit where credit is due, this beautiful Georgian was designed by Pak Heydt and Associates. The dentils are a nice size and do appear to be larger. Does Fypon make another size?

o

Hi,
I am familiar with a similar scale house (a williamsburg George Wythe House copy) and the dentils are 3.5" cubes 12" O.C.
Casey

o

It's also way to shallow. It won't create any kind of shadowline

o

thanks, everyone. i just emailed my builder and architect--kinda annoyed such a tiny profile was chosen for our large-ish house.

o

sombreuil mongrel, what does OC refer to?

o

OC stands for On Center. They are 12" apart from the middle of one dentil block to the middle of the next.

Actually something more like what you originally had in mind for the interior would be more like what you need on the outside.

o

Yeah, I found a fypon dentil that has 3" teeth and is 9 in tall. Might that be good for the exterior?

o

There is a dentil block offered on the Fypon site that is 3.5" with a 3.5" projection that is 4.5" long. That is closer to the authentic size sombreuilmongrel referred to.

The brick work dentils we will incorporate in our plan would be about the same size.

o

BTW your planned home is BEAUTIFUL! Love Georgian architecture!

o

Thank you! We are really excited about it.

o

architect says anything larger than what he recommended is for a school or commercial structure. i'm going to see if we can get a larger one anyway because the small size doesn't make sense to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here