Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlonafarm_gw

A cheap place to find 5 panel doors online?

girlonafarm
13 years ago

I am looking for 5 panel mission style doors for all the interior doors in our new house. Anyone ever have luck finding these online for a good price?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1462845}}

Comments (25)

• librarylady
    13 years ago

We are also using those. I don't know the prices yet, but they are available from Masonite. This style is in the Masonite Anniversary Collection. It is the Riverside door.

Here is a link that might be useful: Riverside 5 panel door

• drjoann
    13 years ago

If you want traditional rail & stile construction, then Masonite has an MDF 5 panel door. The Anniversary series is molded.

We're using the MDF doors and painting them white.

HTH - Jo Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: Masonite Crown Series MDF

• brickton
    13 years ago

I found almost all (7/10) of my interior doors online, but it was more of a by chance thing. I found them on craigslist. Someone had ordered all of the wrong size doors for their house in the style I wanted and had already painted them and bought the oil rubbed bronze hardware for them. Yes, it's unlikely that this happens often in such large quantity but you might be able to pick up a couple off craigslist. I got never installed painted solid core doors + jams + hinges for about $50 each.

The other thing I found on craigslist was a local building supply warehouse that occasionally runs special offers. They post the ads on craigslist (in the for sale > materials section). I haven't checked them out in person yet, but I wouldn't have known about them or the sale otherwise.

• mythreesonsnc
    13 years ago

drjoann, so glad you posted this. I very much want the traditional rail and style 5 panel door as well. I gave the builder a picture of a 5 panel door and he specified the Riverside mentioned above. I had no idea there was a difference and would have been very disappointed upon installation. Is the MDF one "heavy" and authentic looking? Do you have any idea about the pricing vs. the other collections of Masonite? Thanks for the heads up!

• drjoann
    13 years ago

mythreesonsnc - Below, is a better link for the Masonite Crown series MDF. What is nice is that they have the straight sticking of the rail & stile construction, but you can get applied molding if you want a different sticking. We're going with 5 panel straight sticking because it fits our architectural style (per the builder who recommended them & studied architecture @ Clemson).

Another option is the TruStile mdf like the TS5060 or TS5000. Sorry, but I don't have any more info onhand besides the name.

Our MDF doors aren't installed, yet, but DH has seen them at HD & says they are plenty heavy. I don't know about the pricing difference, but a quote that we saw for another builder that bid the job had a 2-8 x 8-0 door at under $225. This is from the local building supply place in G'ville. You're in Davidson, right? You shouldn't have too much of a locale price differential wrt the Upstate.

HTH - Jo Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: Masonite MDF

• mythreesonsnc
    13 years ago

Thanks so much -- I'm going to check out the MDF and the Trustile. I appreciate the help!

• tooskinneejs
    13 years ago

We're going "old school" and having primed, real wood 5 panel doors put into our bungalow. Pre-hung, they are about $200 to $225 each.

We looked at the solid-core molded and MDF doors too. Tru-stile makes some very nice MDF doors (heavy and with crisp, sharp edges). But Tru-stile isn't cheap by any means.

We didn't care for the appearance of the molded doors. IMO, it was too easy to tell they molded (non-crisp edges). They were about half the price of the real-wood doors.

At the end of the day, we realized we could get primed, real wood doors from our local building supply company for not much more than MDF so we went for it.

• jeri
    13 years ago

We are doing this style as well. But we need them to be 7Â6" in height and I fear finding out the extra price for thoseÂ

• pps7
    13 years ago

We went with Woodport MDF doors. The trustile is very nice but pricey. Good luck! Let me kow if you are interested in a picture.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

The last time I needed a house full of doors it was cheaper to purchase a shaper and tooling (cutters run $300-$500 each for 1 inch shaft size) and went to work making 6 panel doors.

I have since made even more doors to match old ones in houses I renovated.

This is likely not an option for someone looking at a one time expense of a few thousand dollars, but paid off when the doors hit over $5,000 to replace and I do not mind some woodworking (even if it is heavy duty manufacturing style).

• pps7
    13 years ago

ooops sorry. We got Woodgrain doors, not woodport.
    We choose a 4 panel door but it is available in the more traditional 3 or 5 panel design. We didn't want square sticking as that felt too craftsman for our house but it is also available in square sticking. Not the best pictures as these are from my phone and we don't have lights yet.

• drjoann
    13 years ago

I was just at the Jeldwen site & saw that they have molded doors which they claim have craftsman style sticking. I don't know how the price compares to the MDF doors we plan to use.

HTH - Jo Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeldwen Craftsman Doors

• drjoann
    13 years ago

Thought I should add that the Jeldwen molded doors with the straight sticking are pretty much limited in style. Our doors are 5 stacked recess panels (like pps7, but with 5 panels & straight sticking) and aren't available from the above Jeldwen line.

Sorry, if I got hopes up - Jo Ann

• j_412
    13 years ago

Feather River Doors have nice 5 panel doors. They sell through Home Depot and you can get them prehung or just the door itself. If you go to their website, you can play around with the door builder - you can see different styles and colors. I hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Feather River Doors

• athensmomof3
    13 years ago

pps7 - those are pretty doors! Our architect has spec-ed 3 panel doors - I guess two larger ones with a small one in between. . . those sure are pretty though!

• mythreesonsnc
    13 years ago

pp7, I agree, very pretty. I tried to go to their website, and it looks like they might not be around, or they have been taken over. I'm going to search some more, they are great looking!

• mythreesonsnc
    13 years ago

pp7, I agree, very pretty. I tried to go to their website, and it looks like they might not be around, or they have been taken over. I'm going to search some more, they are great looking!

• pps7
    13 years ago

try this link...

Here is a link that might be useful: wood grain doors

• mythreesonsnc
    13 years ago

Thanks! I googled it and there were some strange links. I love your doors, so I am definitely going to be following up.

• mythreesonsnc
    13 years ago

Thanks! I googled it and there were some strange links. I love your doors, so I am definitely going to be following up.

• cintijen
    13 years ago

pps7, the four panel door you have isn't on their website. Was it a custom order? I really like them and they would definitely fit our "modern Craftsman" vision.

• Marlene Stark
    8 years ago

pps7, would love to find 4 panel door as in your picture

• D M
    8 years ago

I have been unable to find the 5 panel shaker (I have never heard of it called mission and had to look it up haha! But they are indeed the same) for a cheaper price anywhere. I looked forever! And everyone else is right that the Riverside is nothing like a true 5 panel shaker, it's molded.

My 32x80's pre-hung, MDF stile and rail came in at $168 each. I have a few 24x80's for french doors but can't recall the cost. My 5 panel glass ones were actually a few dollars cheaper. Funny how that works out haha!

But no, couldn't find it cheaper than that anywhere including the big box stores. Where do you live?

• austinchic
    8 years ago

Dana, where did you get them for $168 each? I need to find those!