Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auroraborelis

Roofing Question - Malarky 350 underpayment - urgent

auroraborelis
10 years ago

I am looking at upgrading from the typical 30 lb felt underpayment for our rather complicated concrete tile roof. The roofer has suggested Malarky 350, and the additional cost is reasonable however I am a bit confused. He is saying this is both and underlayment and a capsheet.

Anyone familiar with this?

Comments (25)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I'd ask the builder to show you literature and technical specs from Malarkey that specify this, or stick with the underlayments that were designed for the purpose.

YOU are going to be having a lot of questions like this during the course of the build. If you learn how to find them yourself you will feel more in control of the process.

Go to Google.com and search for the important words in your question.

In this case, it was:

Malarkey 350 underlayment

and then read the links, giving priority to links from the manufacturer, and the various regulatory agencies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brochure

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lazygardens,

While I am sure you are just trying to be helpful with your response, I also find it slightly insulting. I do know how to use google, and I have already read the technical specs for this product and pretty much all the other information there is on this product about online. Unfortunatly nowhere does it say what the expected life of this product is, nor does it say what the typical application process entails.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

Have you tried calling the manufacturer and asking them your questions?

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

What she ^^ said. If I can find the appropriate answers in the available literature, I always call and get a name etc. and what they tell me.

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was planning in calling when I get a break today, however I am really curious to hear from anyone who is familiar with roofing products for a second opinion. The manufacturer can tell me the process, I am hoping someone on GW can provide some personal experience. It is a long shot though as it is a very specific question.

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

I think sometimes it takes so long to discover a major problem with roofing materials that a place like this is unlikely to give you that kind of feedback.

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I see your point, but there are many experts and professionals on here, which made me think that maybe someone would have been familiar with this product.

It was a long shot, but I thought it couldn't hurt to look for a second opinion here.

• worthy
    10 years ago

#30 felt is more likely the "typical" underlayment. 30 lb. felt is an upgrade.

I would contact the tile manufacturer for their recommendations on the roofer's suggestion.

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

Never hurts to ask. :) Why tile roof? My in laws have one and while it is quite durable, it is really expensive to have cleaned.

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

duplicate

This post was edited by MFatt16 on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 12:59

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks worthy!

MFatt16, tile is typical in my area, and suits the style of our house, which has a sort if mediterrean style to it.

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Worthy,

I looked at the other bids, and they all seemed to start with 30lb underlayment with a capsheet. It is a 4400 sq ft house with a concrete tile roof, in a clay/spanish style tile.

Do you think the 30lb felt with a capsheet is sufficient? The upgrade is $1200.

Our thought process in upgrading is that we plan on staying in this house forever and we don't want to incurr the cost of replacing the underlayment later.

Thanks

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

Just wondering, we have very few where I am and I am interested to see why people choose some things over others. Good luck with your project. Perhaps post an update for future questions regarding the subject.

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For us it was an asthetic choice, I didn't really consider the other postives or negatives. Around where I am even many new track homes have concrete tile roofs. Then again, in my area new track homes start at $600,000, so it isn't exactly typical.

If I was living in an area where composite was the norm, and in a style house where it would work I would have choosen it for the two advantages of ease of maintence and cost!

• worthy
    10 years ago

The 30 lb is minimal. (Indeed, depending on the slope, two layers is the minimum recommendation.) Considering the expense of removing and/or replacing concrete tile, you might want to consider an underlayment upgrade to a Grace Ice & Water Shield product as per the table below from Grace.

Here is a link that might be useful: National Roofing Contractors Assoc. on Underlayments

This post was edited by worthy on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 17:41

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

We have a high COL here too, tract homes starting at a similar price in decent areas, but there still isn't much tile. I am in the Pac NW and we see composite and metal mostly. I like the look of a lot of tile roofs, we looked at some metal tile-look roofs that were quite nice. Is cement tile and ceramic roof the same? My in laws have ceramic.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

(totally off topic, but am I the only one who has heard "malarky" or uses malarky in this way... "that is a bunch of malarky".

So, I am no help in your question, but the title to this post made me snicker. Sorry).

Back to regular programming.

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

Yes Kirkhall, I have heard malarkey used in that sense.

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

Yes Kirkhall, I have heard malarkey used in that sense.

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Worthy great little chart! Thanks, you are always helpful! That said, none of the options there fit my house! Concrete tile, no winter, no heavy wind (and honestly, not much heavy rain either!)

Kirkhall - lol! Hard to trust a product named Malarky!

In the end I am going to trust the roofer. He has been using this product for 30 years and never had an issue.

• melsouth
    10 years ago

Kirkhall,
    I thought the post was going to be about a roofer telling the OP that she still owed them $350, but she really didn't.

Malarky 350 underpayment.

:)

• worthy
    10 years ago

The underlayment you are using is a finished roofing material itself, the top layer in a built-up roofing system, meeting ASTM D3909. Since concrete and other tile systems are known for leaking, this is a good choice if you are not in an extreme climate.

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

:) While the first post in this thread was probably well meaning, it had steam shooting out my ears, and all of you have brought it around to first making me laugh out loud, to then having my question answered!

Thank-you again worthy! It is wonderful to be able to come to all of you for advice whenever I'm feeling uncertain!

We are not in an extreme climate, in fact, the SF Bay area (away from the water) is probably one of the most temperate climates around! :)

You mention this being the top layer, in this application it is used on its own. However when it is installed along the coast a layer is underneath it. Does that make sense?

• worthy
    10 years ago

You're planning to use it instead of roll roofing as an underlayment. So an underlayment is not necessary according to the Malarkey brochure linked to above.

when it is installed along the coast a layer is underneath it

As an underlayment or as the finished roofing?

The use of underlayment may relate to the method of application--hot mop or adhesive.

Years ago, I did a few flat roofs with torch-down rolls similar to the Malarkey product. The recommended method was to first fix down a fire resistant underlayment, then apply the top layer roofing. However, many contractors were simply torching down the top roll directly on the deck. Faster and cheaper.

You or your contractor could give Malarkey a call to ask about their recommendation in your area. I've found tech service reps at lots of manufacturers very helpful.

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow... Worthy, Thanks again! :)