Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
24' wide and 8' tall closet doors flank front door, 6 or 3 panel?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 21:52

In typing the subject of this post I realized my need for advice is complicated. Here's the situation:
Our front door is a 6 panel and will have a spiderweb fanlight transom and sidelights. The ante room door will have the same transom and sidelights (unless some of you make a strong case for something else). The foyer is dark and so these transoms and sidelights should help. Because of this darkness my husband suggests we have the ante room door glass instead of wood, but I feel as though this will be too much "pattern" with the glass around the door, the rectangular lites of the door, and then we also have a black and white checker floor. Do you have recs on what to do the ante room door in?

Now, the closet doors that flank the ante room door will be 24" wide by 8' tall. This will look terrible in 6-panel because of the proportions, right? Do we do 3 panel instead even though all the doors in the house are 6-panel? What say you, Garden Web?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 24' wide and 8' tall closet doors flank front door, 6 or 3 pa

Why not a big pane of glass for the anteroom door with top and bottom rails and the stiles the same as the paneled doors.

Three panel on the closet doors instead of six because of the narrow width. Proportion trumps number.

The windows on the top stories of many period houses with 6-6 sashon the lower floors, are 3-3 with a proportion similar to the lites below.

Some have been replaced with 6-6, resulting in a cluttered window with horizontal looking lites.

Proportion is more important, and the width of those panels if you did 6 on such a narrow tall door would be sliver-like.

o
RE: 24' wide and 8' tall closet doors flank front door, 6 or 3 pa

i'm worried now about the windows!!!!!

ok, i'll do a 3-panel door for the closets, but the one pane of glass for the ante room door sounds contemporary and sort of commercial even, no? any other options up your sleeve, palimpsest? by the way, i intend to email you via your GW email.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here